Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 06-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Well, fancy that.....

I replaced the dirty original a/f in the ol' Bandito Grande` with the obligitory flat panel K&N along with the 21 in Holeshot can, and noticed a little low rpm-steady throttle surging. I called a guy at Seattle Service about having them do some jetting and tuning on their Dyno, and the first thing out of his mouth was "ditch the K&N, go back to stock"

Hmmm sez I, appearantly there is no gain in performance with the K&N and in fact they cause surging on Suzuki's with otherwise stock or nearly stock set-ups.....

I guess I'll stop at the Suzuki joint on the way home and switch them out to see. After I bought the K&N I was reading Dale Walkers site and he said more or less the same thing. Wish I knew that before I spent the $50. on the K&N..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

I put a K&N on my old GSX1100G, which was almost identical engine-wise, to the 1200Bandit and it never caused a hiccup. I had the stock pipes on it. Have you checked the Holeshot website? If you didn't re-jet then adding both a slip-on and K&Ns can severely lean the mixture.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Talking

I think that's probably the case. The 21 in. that I got is their mildest performance pipe and isn't supposed to require rejetting but tossing in the K&N as well probably did the trick. It's not bad really, more an anoyance than anything else but it's like the guy said, pay $20 for a stock filter or pay me $400 for dyno time and a jet kit....

Old 06-27-2007, 06:38 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Well the stock filter cured the surging. Part of the reason I got the 21 over the 17 was noise, the other was I didn't want to screw around with the jetting. With the 21 and the stock filter it works fine.

Anyone want to buy a used K&N air filter?...

Old 06-27-2007, 07:51 AM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Noted engine-builder J.D. Hord (HPR - Hordpower, Art of Twins) has commented that he usually finds a power loss with the installation of a K&N filter. Best torque is usually with a stock filter, best HP usually with airbox-delete and foam pods.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:09 AM   #6
bbtowns
Founding Member

I think it really depends on the bike. Lot's of times I've thrown in a K&N with little or no result, but I remember putting one in my BMW R1100RS and noticing it (positively) the first ride. It probably depends on exactly how much effort the manufacturer put into the design of the filter and air box.
bbtowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:13 PM   #7
Chango
Founding Member

Not exactly the same thing, but close enough... I put a K&N filter in my 2005 GSX-R600 and had it for a week. It might possibly have gained 1 hp at the redline, but the midrange loss was horrible. I had about 10,000 miles on it at the time, so I was familiar with how it was supposed to feel. The only reason I kept it for a week was because the local dealership just happened to be out of stock air filters the day I wanted one.

Chango
Old 08-31-2007, 08:35 PM   #8
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Excellent use of the Mojo Jojo visual.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:00 AM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Keep in mind that one of the big benefits of the K-n-N is it's washability. I put one in the FXS in 1998 and it's still there. I think I've gone through 3 or 4 cleaning kits though.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:27 AM   #10
Gritboy
Founding Member

Added a K&N to a Suzuki Volusia with aftermarket cobra pipes and it created some severe dead spot in the upper range. I proper re-jet fixed it an the power gain, though unmeasured, feels significant. However, aside from it's reusability (which is nice) using a K&N on any of my bikes without new cans as well doesn't increase power, so don't expect miracles.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote