Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 06-20-2007, 12:23 AM   #1
pja
Founding Member

Wink Suzuki M50 Boulevard

I sold my scooter today and am now ready to buy a 'real' motorcycle again. I have been looking at all the mid-size (650-900 cc) cruisers and I agree with the MO comparison test result - I think the Suzuki M50 looks the best. In Australia the competition includes Yamaha XVS650 V-Star Custom (a bit small I think), Honda VT750C2 - the new 21" front wheel one (its a Honda, very well built but not very exciting to look at), Kawasaki VN900 Classic (perhaps the only real alternative to the Suzuki) and Harley-Davidson XL883L Low (looks good but has no suspension travel, other Sportsters are just too expensive).

Has anyone else looked at similar choices and what do you think about these bikes (especially the M50 if you own one).

Regards,
Peter
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things -- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince, ch. 6
pja is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

I really dig the XL883 in the XR motif.

One thing to consider about Sporties is that there is a plethora of upgrades and mods the owner can do over time while the Suzuki is pretty much "what you see is what you get". About all that's available for the Suzuki is chrome barge bolt ons. On an 883 you can add 1200 cylinders, heads, suspension bits, you name it.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Why do you want a cruiser? They are uncomfortable as hell to ride IMHO. I'd suggest looking at a small standard instead of a cruiser.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #4
testcase
Founding Member

OTOH, I lust after a M50 myself and would have bought one if I hadn't had a chance for a real good deal on a 98 VFR.
testcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
schizuki
Founding Member

I dig the 883XR as well. It's the Harley I'd buy if I was to buy a Harley. There's nothing that says "motorcycle" like a Sporty.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
Copronymous
Registered Member

I looked at all these and a few more before I bought. I considered a Sporty (1200 actually) 'cause I've always wanted an H-D. I didn't care for the weight-power distro, and I didn't care for the riding position (more of a personal thing).

I've had Hondas before. Good solid bike, but I was looking for something outside that box.

I was actually all set to get a Kaw 900 Custom. Then the dealer magically added $900 to the price, and I was out the door. The sound of the bike was great, engine VERY smooth at idle & on the road, smooth throttle. Felt great. Belt drive gave it a smooth ride. Too bad for the Kaw dealer.

I'd been looking at M50s since they came out. I've always loved them. They're big enough, powerful enough, they look great. It's as well balanced a mid-size cruiser as I've seen.

Before I read the MO shootout, I had them placed in the exact same order for myself. I bought the M50 a week before I read the shootout article.
Copronymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:04 AM   #7
Gritboy
Founding Member

My wife has a C50 (the touring clone of the M50) which I take out often enough to say that of the cruiser's I've ridden it's a blast. Good comfort, good performance (hers has been jetted w/cobra pipes) and has solid, if uninspiring handling. We've done quite a bit of rain touring and it's reassuring in the bad weather. She gets nods from the Harley crowd, so it's definitely a nice mount if an HD's out of your budget. The shaft drive is not too jacky and the engine pulls nicely for an 800. Minor quip: the basic build quality's nice, but there's a bit too much plastic (i.e., fake chrome).

Read more Suzuki Boulevard C50T & M50 Motorcycles - Road Test & Review - Motorcycle Cruiser
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Flickmeister
Registered Member

I'm a hard core sportbike rider, been doin' it for 44+ years. My current steed is a 2006 GSXR1000. I rented a M50 for a day and had such a blast on it that I rented it for another day. I think the bike is great. It's throttle response is top-notch, sounds good with the stock pipe, and is just tons of fun to ride. If this is the type of bike you want, I can't think of a better mount. Good Luck! Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:28 AM   #9
ron jones
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pja View Post
I sold my scooter today and am now ready to buy a 'real' motorcycle again. I have been looking at all the mid-size (650-900 cc) cruisers and I agree with the MO comparison test result - I think the Suzuki M50 looks the best. In Australia the competition includes Yamaha XVS650 V-Star Custom (a bit small I think), Honda VT750C2 - the new 21" front wheel one (its a Honda, very well built but not very exciting to look at), Kawasaki VN900 Classic (perhaps the only real alternative to the Suzuki) and Harley-Davidson XL883L Low (looks good but has no suspension travel, other Sportsters are just too expensive).

Has anyone else looked at similar choices and what do you think about these bikes (especially the M50 if you own one).

Regards,
Peter
Yes Peter, I aquired a 2005 M50 a week ago and am very happy.
It goes really well and was a lot cheaper than the sporty I was checking out. The after market pipes are an essential as is a screen.
I am in Geelong does any one have any clues as to where I can get a detachable screen to suit my bike?
ron jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
jwr0201
Registered Member

Cool shopping for a C50 or M50

I am shopping for a new mid sized cruiser and am looking at the C50 / M50. What is a good price for a left over 2008 model? If this dealer is being straight, they have a few of each available. I can't get a feel for what these models should honestly go for.
I was about to buy a new 2008 Shadow 750 for a good price, then the dealer notified me that they were all gone - offered me a left over 2009 for about a grand more. Funny thing that - next few days they (2008's) were still listed on the dealer's web site as being on sale. I don't think much of the old bait & switch deal - wouldn't have a Honda now if it were given to me. Seems to me that used car salesmen have nothing on motorcycle dealers - at least in the Central Florida area.
RR
jwr0201 is offline   Reply With Quote