Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 10-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
gsfivehundredf
Registered Member

Default Suzuki GS500F won't start after rain

Hello everyone,
I've owned a 2007 GS500F for less than three weeks. A couple days ago after riding and parking the bike under some persistent rain for a few days, the bike decided to give me a hard time to fire up. It took me more than half an hour to get it running by bump start. I rode it home but after that had no chance in starting it again. I had put a new battery right after getting the bike so that's not an issue. In fact, when I push the start button, it obviously spins the engine but there's something wrong after that point ... either the sparks or the fuel or something else. I live in Ontario and the weather has been on and off over the last week. I leave the bike outside over night as our garage has no room for it. Is it possible that I got water in the gas tank? How safe is the gas cap seal on this bike? Or maybe water in the air filter or around the sparks? It made a bad noise a couple times as I was trying to push to start. I hope I've not damaged anything by now. I've looked for all obvious issues: there's enough gas in the tank, the start switch is on when I try and fuel switch is on ...
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas.
Thank you
gsfivehundredf is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
gsfivehundredf
Registered Member

My bike came back to life yesterday after experiencing a fresh sunny morning.
gsfivehundredf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:31 AM   #3
Kess
Registered Member

I would check your ignition leads. It is common for them to break down and arc to either the chassis or engine in damp weather, especially if they are old. They are pretty easy to change but you would most probably need to remove the tank to gain access.

If you wanted to go down the route of making the change yourself, then I am pretty sure you could get a new set off ebay.

Kess
Kess is offline   Reply With Quote