Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 09-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Nemesis98
Registered Member

Question 'Tempted' to buy a 1983 Suzuki 650 GR Tempter

Hi everyone. New here - but figured this would be the place to go.
I have an opportunity to buy a 1983 Suzuki 650 GR Tempter for $200

According to the owner, the bike has been sitting indoors for 10 years. Everything ran fine up until after the stator went in it, and the owner never replaced it. A new stator was purchased, just never installed.

The bike needs a new battery and probably new tires, as well as a good carb cleaning on top of the stator. Owner says it will probably start up right now if a new battery were installed. Odometer indicates 22,493 miles.

They have the owners manual for it, and will throw in a tank bag and heated gloves (if they can find the gloves)

Do you all think that this would be a worth while investment?
I have never owned a motorcycle before, but I am pretty darn mechanically inclined, and have worked on cars and outboard boat motors before, and currently own a 150c scooter that I maintain.

Let me know what you think

Thanks!
Nemesis98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

A friend of mine had one of those years ago. It was a really crappy bike and he could never get it to run right. I'd run like hell from it.

You could offer to take it for nothing to get it off of his hands. But like most old Japanese fixer-uppers it'll eat up tons of money. Japanese bike parts are expensive. And I'd bet that most of the Tempter's old parts are out of stock. Also, few were ever sold so the chances of finding parts in junkyards is next to nil.

You figure several hundred dollars just to get it running, provided that the burned stator didn't take out a bunch of other electric parts, and then all you have is an old gutless Tempter with an electrical system known for burning stators. It was a common Suzuki problem in the early 80s.

You'd be better off finding an old beater that's still running for a few hundred bucks than throwing money into something that might ultimately be unfixable. You might find an old GS850 for under $1K for example. Or an old 2-valve Kawasaki like a KZ750. Those run forever.