Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 07-29-2011, 12:52 AM   #1
subievf52
Registered Member

Default 2002 suzuki gs500e problem after oil change!

New rider, bought a gs500e as a first bike. Love the bike, rides great pretty forgiving. Being as I just purchased the bike, I decided to give her an oil change, decided to go with castrol 10w40 part sythetic as suggested by motorcycle mechanic. So I change the oil, making sure not to fill to much or too low. Put in just about 3 quarts as specified by manufacturer. Dipstick shows perfectly on the full line. After doing so, the bike starts to behave improperly. I start her up, idles fine, then as I throttle as a stand still, it feels like the bike is stalling, then eventually dies. Then I can't start it. Having tried to start her a few more times I decide to wait 10 minutes. After doing so she starts up again, so I figure it's a fluke decide to ride down the street and a few minutes later as I'm giving more gas she dies while I'm riding. After dying and I pull over, won't start again. So I repeat the cycle of waiting 10 minutes and starts right up again. I manage to make it back between riding a bit and pushing it.

So a few things seem irregular. Letting the bike sit for 10minutes seems to allow it to start again. Giving throttle seems to be stalling the bike and causing it to die. After a few minutes of running the bike can't hold idle of 1200rpms and dies by itself. Choke doesn't seem to help keep the bike running while idling. So I'm starting to suspect some fuel issues, maybe carb. Though what are the chances something else goes wrong right as I change my oil? I checked the oil filter again it's really hard to mess up installing one on this bike. Any ideas?

I'm probably going to change plugs and air filter this weekend. Let me know if anyone else has experienced anything like this. Thanks ahead of time.
subievf52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

There is no connection between the oil change and how the bike is running, unless you knocked loose a wire or hose, or otherwise created the problem in the process of the oil change. If there's enough oil in the bike and it's circulating, move on to the things that affect how the bike runs. Plugs and air filter are a good start.

Does the bike have the Suzuki exhaust system on it, or an aftermarket can? 80% of poorly running bikes these days seem to get that way from garage mechanics swapping exhausts and not properly tuning the fuel system. If it has the stock exhaust, it's possible the seller removed an aftermarket system to sell on the side before you got the bike, and didn't re-tune.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
There is no connection between the oil change and how the bike is running,
OK, so let's suggest what could be causing it !!

It sounds like the fuel flow is restricted.....such that it is effectively running out of gas.

Is there gas in the tank ?
Is the petc o c k (gas valve) turned ON ?
If it has a vacume operated petc o c k, is that hose still connected at both ends ?
Try switching it to REServe; you do know what that means, right ?
Try running it with the gas cap open. (Careful with that if the tank is full).

Aside from the above, the most common cause is a restricted fuel path because of a fuel filter or kinked hose.......or a suction developing in the tank because of a plugged vent (which is often in the gas cap).

And lastly, what you describe is kind of the way most bikes work if you start them cold with no choke. Most need full choke to fire up and then partial choke to keep from stalling until completely warm.

You likely need to run some carb cleaner through but it sounds like there is another problem too.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
subievf52
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I only mention the oil change since things ran perfectly prior and started having problems immediately after. Will do plugs and air filter this weekend.

Tank is half full, will try on reserve. Question does reserve use different fuel lines? Say it runs fine on reserve, where do I look to solve the issue then? Also what does running it with gas cap open tell me?
Old 07-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subievf52 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I only mention the oil change since things ran perfectly prior and started having problems immediately after. Will do plugs and air filter this weekend.

Tank is half full, will try on reserve. Question does reserve use different fuel lines? Say it runs fine on reserve, where do I look to solve the issue then? Also what does running it with gas cap open tell me?
Reserve merely draws fuel from a lower-section of the tank than "on": when the bike sputters, you switch to reserve and start hunting a gas station.

If you pop the fuel cap open and the bike runs normally - that means the small vent-valve in the cap is stuck/plugged. As the bike uses fuel, it slowly draws a vacuum inside the tank that makes it hard to fill the carb bowls - this vent prevents that from happening (unless it's not working, obviously).

Perform each of these diagnostic checks seperately - I'd check the cap first, THEN switch to reserve and check that.

I cannot recall - does the GS have a fuel pump? If the carb-bowls are higher than the lowest bit of fuel in the tank, typically the manufacturer equips the bike with a pump to avoid these issues.

If such is the case, ensuring the pump is working would be the next step after the previous-two.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 07-29-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: syntax correction
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

The reserve switch effectively moves where the gas is picked up down in the tank. The gas is still coming through the same hose. I think the idea is to make sure it's not simply running out of fuel.

Gas tanks have to let air in as gas goes out. The vent that does that on older bikes sometimes gets clogged, again running the bike out of fuel.

If you're sure the bike started running like crap right after the oil change, go back and look at every area you touched in the process. For example: Did you pull a fairing to get to the filter? Maybe you popped a vacuum line off when you did.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Will do plugs and air filter this weekend.
Why ?? Are they due ??

Your symptoms really don't sound like either of those things would be the primary cause.

Fuel filter (or other obstruction), loose vacume hose or the above explained tank vent are much more likely culprits.

Check these things.......and fill the tank, no matter how much you think is in there.....before you spend money on ANY new parts.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
subievf52
Registered Member

So an update, took out old plugs, gapped the new plugs and put them in. No change. Tried running with gas cap open and no change. Tried running off reserve and no change. Took the air filter out, looked a little dirty but not terrible, don't think oil spilled into the filter. Either way, I ran the bike without a filter completely and no change.

I looked around at the vacuum hoses and fuel lines and nothing seems to be loose or off.

The part that confuses me the most is sometimes I start it and it runs like a champ, throttle is great, idle is great... then I take it down the street and it dies.

Other times I can barely get it started and when I do, the RPM's DROP as I give throttle and the bike is stalling.

Right now I'm thinking about getting some carb cleaner to run through the bike, if that doesn't do anything then carb removal, rebuild and clean time???

Will have to get some kind of clymer's guide for the bike and see how to check the fuel filter, I don't know if the bike has a fuel pump.

Other than that, what do you guys think?
Old 07-31-2011, 05:32 AM   #9
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Other times I can barely get it started and when I do, the RPM's DROP as I give throttle and the bike is stalling.

Right now I'm thinking about getting some carb cleaner to run through the bike, if that doesn't do anything then carb removal, rebuild and clean time???
It is not all that "confusing". You are only getting a trickle of gas to the carbs......for whatever reason. Sometimes there is enough accumulated in the bowls to run a while and other times there isn't.

Have you drained the old gas out of the tank and carb bowls yet ?
That would be good along with some cleaner in fresh gas; Berrymans B12 Chemtool is good.

And to repeat: You should NOT be taking anything apart, especially the carbs, until you verify that you have good gas flow. Right now, you don't. You should be concentrating on fuel filter, fuel screen, fuel pump, pinched gas lines or failed vacume operated petc o c k.

Does your petc o c k have a PRIme setting ?? If so, that bypasses the automatic shutoff feature.

You can assess the amount of gas getting to the carbs by opening the drain screw near the drain nipple on the bottom of each carb. Once empty, however, if you do have a vacume operated shutoff, they won't fill again until the bike is running.......or there is a vacume present on the proper hose.

Just realized that we haven't touched on a critical point:
What are you doing with the CHOKE all this time ??
You gotta have choke to start it.......and it must remain partly ON during warmup.
It is possible that your problem might be completely solved with proper choke use and some carb cleaner in the gas.

Last edited by Easy Rider 2 : 07-31-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
subievf52
Registered Member

Easy rider 2, I think I'm one step closer to figuring this out. I just ran the bike on PRI and it runs like a dream again. Once back in the ON position the symptoms arose again. Sounds like you were on the money about the fuel lines/vacuum, there could be some blockage there? Maybe fuel filter etc.?