Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 06-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
700-X
Registered Member

Default V-Strom 1000 coolant temperature

I picked up used 06 V-Strom 1000 (just under 10k/km)and noticed a couple of things. My temperature indicator will not go to 3rd bar as it should untill I idle it for extended period of time but as soon as I start moving, it drops down to second bar again. Just replaced the engine coolant temperature sensor so now I know which part it is not. Thermostat seems to operate correctly but I have also noticed after relatively short time idling after cold start, my front cylinder's exhaust pipe glows slightly from excessive heat. Otherwise the bike runs good, starts ok, even GPM's seem to be in check. I find it difficult to believe the temp gauge itself is faulty, it seems to me the pipe glowing and no full operating temperature have something in common. My old DL- 650 did not do this.
Any ideas ? Thanks for reading
700-X is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2011, 04:57 AM   #2
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

I have an '07 DL1000, and that is exactly how it has operated since it was new. On the move with air through the radiator, it runs 2 bars, stopped or in slow traffic for a while, it goes to three. Then it goes right back down again once under way. It spends more time at three bars when it's hot. I've seen the front header pipe glow occasionally, but only after riding the **** out of it.

Your bike is fine. Ride the wheels off of it!

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

The hot pipe usually indicates a too lean mixture and it does seem odd for it to occur at idle. You might check the stromtroopers website to see if other people have the issue and if there's a fix. But if the bike is running fine and hasn't burned the exhaust valves yet you're probably okay.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:06 AM   #4
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-X View Post
My temperature indicator will not go to 3rd bar as it should ............
I think you are making an improper assumption.
Just EXACTLY what makes you think that it "should" go to the third bar ??

A LOT of bikes with temp. gauges show a fairly wide swing like you are describing and it is perfectly normal. At least one company stopped putting gauges on their bikes because it was causing so much confusion and time wasted by their service departments.

As for the glowing pipe, that could be normal too.
Do you know if they are single-walled pipes......and if there might be a stock heat shield missing in that area ?
If they are single walled, that might be normal too.......when the bike isn't moving. It might also mean slightly too lean......or WAY too rich.

Have you considered asking a dealer's service department about both of those things ?? If not, why not ??

Unless you run across someone who has that same model bike on a forum.......AND it's someone you think you can trust.......I would advise that you NOT waste any more time and money fixing something that might not be a problem in the first place.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

"Too lean" at idle (up to probably 17:1 or so) is not really a valve-burning problem. Might be a NOx problem, but idle has really no stresses on the engine that could damage it.

That said, I doubt the bike is any leaner than 15:1 or so, to avoid throttling-issues. You can get away with stuff like this with EFI that would render a carb'd bike (or car) essentially un-rideable.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 06-09-2011 at 08:33 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
I think you are making an improper assumption.
Just EXACTLY what makes you think that it "should" go to the third bar ??

A LOT of bikes with temp. gauges show a fairly wide swing like you are describing and it is perfectly normal. At least one company stopped putting gauges on their bikes because it was causing so much confusion and time wasted by their service departments.

As for the glowing pipe, that could be normal too.
Do you know if they are single-walled pipes......and if there might be a stock heat shield missing in that area ?
If they are single walled, that might be normal too.......when the bike isn't moving. It might also mean slightly too lean......or WAY too rich.

Have you considered asking a dealer's service department about both of those things ?? If not, why not ??

Unless you run across someone who has that same model bike on a forum.......AND it's someone you think you can trust.......I would advise that you NOT waste any more time and money fixing something that might not be a problem in the first place.

Did you not read my post? I have the same bike, one year newer. Take a look above.

The pipe is single-walled at the point in question, and it's pretty thin. It's a curve that exits the head and wraps under the bike, so a lot of heat can accumulate.

He mentioned he had a DL650 which uses the same gauges but has a different engine (and presumably sensors). I think that's why he expected to see the three bars.

All versions of DLs are notorious for lean tuning from the factory, which is why the Power Commander is such a popular upgrade.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Old 06-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
A Star Ride
Registered Member

My bike has lights, no lights no problem.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
My bike has lights, no lights no problem.
Let's see...what do they call those again? Oh yeah, "Idiot Lights!"

Its.......A FACT!
Old 06-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Did you not read my post? I have the same bike, one year newer. Take a look above.
No, actually I didn't unitl after I made my post; I HATE it when people do that.

Since I didn't say anything substantially different than you did......except for a few "ifs" and "maybes", I decided to let it stand.

I will try to be more careful in the future.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer View Post
Let's see...what do they call those again? Oh yeah, "Idiot Lights!"
Who needs gauges? I dont know or care what my operating temp is supposed to be as long as it's within range. I've never even had a bike with a tach.