Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 05-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
duck899
Registered Member

Default Riding boots

What kind and style of boots do people use when riding? I'm gearing up and looking for ideas?
I'm a cowboy type and wear cowboy boots but open to ideas.....

cheers

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck899 View Post
I'm a cowboy type and wear cowboy boots but open to ideas.....
I prefer boots with soft rubber soles for good grip.
Cowboy boots usually don't come in that style.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
A Star Ride
Registered Member

You could get a cowboy style boot with a rubber construction sole. Engineers boots work well & I find them easier to get on & off.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

You want boots that don't come off when you crash, leaving your feet exposed. You'd be amazed at how often that happens. Cowboy boots or any slip-off boot don't cut it, they slide right off.

Browse sites like MotorcycleSuperstore.com, Cyclegear.com, DennisKirk.com, etc. Look for boots from Alpinestars, Sidi, Icon, to name a few.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
12er
Founding Member

I ride with my steel toed redwings, but thats only due to my size 15's not being made in any riding boot. As noted above, whatever you do dont buy slip ons, they slip off, well actually fling about 40ft in the air. May as well ride in flip flops...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
May as well ride in flip flops...
I love riding in sandals! You get the great feel of wind between your toes ... J/K

I used to just wear a pair of Justin cowboy boots. They've got non-slip, oil-resistant rubber soles, and they're slip-on. Considering how much effort goes into getting them on and off I find it hard to believe they'd leave my feet in an accident.

Now, I'll wear those or an engineer style ST zip-up that work pretty well. They seem to fit as snugly as my aforementioned slip-ons.

On "going out" nights I do have a pair of custom-made cowboy boots. The soles are a bit slick being leather w/ rubber heel, so a bit more thought goes into using my feet. This pair I can totally see launching from my airborne torso.

Last edited by Sir_Angus : 05-23-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Sir_Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

Back when I was riding a Harley FXR, I determined real quick that your traditional 'cowboy boot' sucks on a bike.

The heel is wrong, the toes get runt by the shifter peg, and if they have the leather soles, you are very likely to lose your footing and drop the bike, as the leather is slick.

I tried one time to have some buffalo hide boots re-soled with Vibram oil-resistant soles. They were somewhat better. They don't work on my Sprint worth a damn.

So, I ride with cheap hikers (usually by Timberland or one of the various Wolverine brands) that cover the ankles. I also have a pair of Triumph Explorer II boots that I love.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
duck899
Registered Member

Thumbs up Thanks alot

Thanks guys for the replies.... Definately going to be lace up or zip up work boots or some kind of tough boots. Cowboy boots are too slippery and the rubber soles are the way to go. Makes alot of sense..... I never really thought of the slip ons slipping off.....
Old 05-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I have a pair of GBX (just over the ankle) boots I usually wear when riding to & from places & also a pair of taller waterproof slip on's (Road Wolf) for real rides, cooler weather, day trips & traveling. Both are a bit to put on & I wouldn't think likely to fly off.
I know I compromise safety with the smaller boot, but it is more manageable to wear for the day & don't scream scootertrash everywhere I go.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
A Star Ride
Registered Member

The only thing I liked about riding with cowboy boots was the ability to hang my feet from the passenger pegs on long rides. The 800 I had did not have nearly as much room to move arround as the current bike. But they weren't very warm at all.