Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 04-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
KHANV1CT
Registered Member

Default Where to find parts for Suzuki Bandit

New rider here! I've just bought my first bike, its a 2001 Bandit 1200. I love this thing its very fun to ride. The previous owner let it sit for about a year but its still running good as far as I can tell. I did a tuneup on it (plugs, oil, oil filter, chain lube, Seafoam in the tank) and everything is great! Really I'm just wanting to find some good resources on the Bandit. I can't find any good parts sites like a can for automobiles.

I wanted to know if you guys think I got a good deal on the bike. It has 11000 miles. As I said above the bike was sitting for a year, but still runs pretty good. The tires have very little wear, brakes have a lot of life left on them, and it has a new battery. The carbs probably need to be synced but I'll do that when I get the Dynojet kit(if I can find one) as well as replace the air filter. I paid $2000 for it, is that good?
KHANV1CT is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHANV1CT View Post
The tires have very little wear, brakes have a lot of life left on them, and it has a new battery. The carbs probably need to be synced but I'll do that when I get the Dynojet kit(if I can find one) as well as replace the air filter. I paid $2000 for it, is that good?
I think you got a pretty good deal.

IF the tires are original, they are 10-11 years old and must be replaced before you do any serioius riding.

In it's stock form, that bike makes enough power for two or three bikes already. What makes you think that you MUST go screwing around with the engine ??? I mean REALLY.

Some people get more enjoyment out of tinkering than they do from riding. If that's you, then forge ahead. If you actually got the bike to RIDE, I suggest that you don't mess with it. The results might not be what you want.

As for parts, a Suzuki dealer will have stock parts.
Some models just don't have a lot of 3-rd party accessories available.....anywhere.
Your Bandit might be one of those.
If you don't get any interest here, I can give you a good Suzuki forum to try.

Last edited by Easy Rider 2 : 04-25-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Check out FastLarry's Suzuki Bandit FAQ.

The engine would not be a priority for me on a Bandit 1200. Sounds like you have a really good bike, so you really don't have to mod it at all. However, if you just *have* to mess with it, look into swapping out the front end, for better handling and brakes.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
KHANV1CT
Registered Member

I'm not necessarily looking for aftermarket engine parts, just a parts store that sells quality stuff in case something goes out on it. As far as body parts go I'd just like a few things to make it look a little better like a wheel hugger/fender eliminator kit, some better mirrors, etc. I'm very happy with the bike and the power that it has especially for my first one. I think its going to be a while before I'd want to move up to a faster bike.

@Easy Rider 2: I'd like to know that forum if you don't mind!

@trenttheuncatchable: What front-end do you swap with??
KHANV1CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

See:

BANDIT 12 USD GSXR 600 750, 04 05 SWAP... HOW TO!!!!!! - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

and

OldSkool Suzuki .infoBoard - Which GSXR front end ?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm not necessarily looking for aftermarket engine parts, just a parts store that sells quality stuff in case something goes out on it.
Well, you need to get your story straight, make up your mind or learn a bit more about bikes in general before you go changing any parts.
The Dynojet kit and air filter that you specifically mentioned ARE ENGINE PARTS.

I've heard good things about BikeBandit (not a bandit specific supplier, despite the name).......and then there is the dealer. I advocate supporting your local dealer whenever you can because the day might come when you NEED them and it would be a shame if they aren't there anymore.

The other fourm is:
Motorcycle Forum
Lots of Suzuki guys there. There may be others that are more Bandit specific though.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
@trenttheuncatchable: What front-end do you swap with??
I guess you just HAVE to mess with it.

Just for clarification, the stock configuration is more than sufficient for a new rider.......and probably for about 90% of the experienced street riders too.

Whatever is lacking in the suspension and brakes likely won't be noticeable unless and until you are going around a racetrack at 140 MPH or so.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

I agree that the stock configuration works just fine. However, it isn't true that "suspension and brakes likely won't be noticeable unless and until you are going around a racetrack at 140 MPH or so."

I had my mechanic do a front-end swap on my Z750S. It now has a ZX-6R front end. And the suspension and handling improvement is huge. Even at 20 mph, especially if you're going around a curve.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
And the suspension and handling improvement is huge. Even at 20 mph, especially if you're going around a curve.
Classifying handling on a bike is a very subjective thing.

What THAT proves is that the change made it closer to what YOU want it to feel like. It does not necessarily mean that for someone else, the old action and feel would be "bad".

It's more a matter of what you have learned to handle than the actual characteristics of the bike itself.

I've got a hunch that what you think is "good" handling I would just hate.......until I got used to it......and that you would hate the mushy handling on the cruiser I ride, which I think is just fine.

Telling someone else what they will and will not like is a tricky business.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

I am not going to argue this with you. I will say that I have a cruiser myself, and it doesn't have mushy handling either. My biggest issue with the cruiser is its (lack of) braking performance. But since it now has new sintered shoes, pads and stainless steel brake lines (which I am currently in the process of evaluating) there's not much more I can do to it without replacing the front caliper; that I might do in the future.