Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Suzuki (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/suzuki/)
-   -   1996 Bandit 600, What's it worth? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/suzuki/17503-1996-bandit-600-whats-worth.html)

dgodshall 01-26-2011 08:56 PM

1996 Bandit 600, What's it worth?

I've got a friend who has a 1996 Suzuki Bandit 600 that he's got sitting after he purchased a new bike. I've asked him about the details of the bike and how much he's looking to get it for... He's wanting to get $1000 for it.

$1000 isn't a terrible price in my mind however I'm really nervous about the bike... It has approximately 60k miles on it. I'm a new rider but I'm fairly mechanical and in my mind at 60k, this bike is almost done.

So, anyone have any input? What do you think its worth? Here's a few more details on it...

After the last person worked on it removed the gas tank they never primed the carburetor. I assume that's the only issue. New battery, new fork seals... Would probably need a chain resetting... I just paid registration for it and am waiting for tags... Custom headlight... But wiring is a little funny on the bike. Doesn't say when it's in neutral... Bike has a lot of miles on it. It was a commuter. ~60k. It does burn a little oil, but not a lot.. I remember adding 1/2 a quart between oil changes. It does have to warm up before driving it too.

So anyone that knows a thing or 2 about these bikes, let me know what you think, I like the look of the bike and would love to take it off his hands but don't want to buy it and then have it die right away.

Photos of the bike available here:

30556_1353504331040_1634378419_817287_4235827_n | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

32099_415850213112_631198112_4446902_4990444_n | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Morbo the Destroyer 01-27-2011 05:12 AM

60k miles is a lot, but it's not unheard of for that engine to go much further. And engines are rebuildable. The issue is how well the bike was treated overall; a wiring fault will leave you stranded as easily as a blown motor.

You didn't say if it runs, but I'm assuming since you mentioned the gas tank issue it doesn't. I don't think I'd pay a grand for a non-running bike, unless it was a certified collectible classic. That Bandit won't be for another 20-30 years.

I wouldn't buy it for $1,000 unless it runs very well and all subsystems like brakes, lights, etc. are all working. Maybe $600, leaving some money for a shop bill to get it on the road again.

dgodshall 01-27-2011 09:56 AM

There's 600s out there with more on them? Wow! To suppose it would need a rebuild, how much do you think it would cost? Is it much different than rebuilding car/truck motors? I've rebuilt some 4.0s in Jeeps and a Ford 460.

The bike does run. I saw it running about 6 months ago but it wasn't running all that great. Only reason its not right now is because of the gas lines? He said it needs to be primed and should start, with that said I'm assuming this bike has a vacuum controlled pet****? Does that sound right?

I'm going to go over this weekend and try and get it started, maybe do a dry/wet compression test on it.

The_AirHawk 01-27-2011 06:39 PM

It probably was running poorly because it's been sitting - carbs gunk-up easily once the gas has "turned". If you're worried about the condition of the engine-internals, take a compression-tester with you and check each cylinder with all-four plugs out.

Anything above about 115-120 I would call "good", but more-important than overall numbers is whether or not all-four are close to one-another.

If that checks out, the bike's in otherwise "OK" condition (essentially un-crashed, brakes work OK, steering-head is smooth, clutch pull is smooth, can M/L actuate shifter even without engine running, etc.), and no weird noises when cranking it, I'd offer $600-$700 for it. The Bandit Forums can probably talk you through anything else you need to have a "runner".

IIRC, that engine is a Stone - couldn't damage it with a sackful of hammers, so long as oil has been kept in it.