Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 01-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
msiegy
Registered Member

Default 2007 Sv1000?

After test riding and searching a ton of bikes I've finally found a bike I want to buy, but i can't figure out what a fair price is for a new 2007 Suzuki SV1000s.

KBB value is $5050, but I'm thinking that includes the average amount of miles a 2007 model bike would have.

Cycletrader has new 07 bikes up for $6000 and $7400. I'd like to buy one for around $5000, but I fear i may be dreaming.

Can anyone provide some thoughts on what a reasonable price would be on a new 07 sv1000s or even one with around 5k miles?

Thanks
msiegy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msiegy View Post
Cycletrader has new 07 bikes up for $6000 and $7400. I'd like to buy one for around $5000, but I fear i may be dreaming.

Can anyone provide some thoughts on what a reasonable price would be on a new 07 sv1000s or even one with around 5k miles?
I would say $5000 to $5500 for a NEW one sounds right. My brother bought his 2007 SV1000S new, two years ago, for $7000. Now, it's two years later. Maybe $6K IF you really want the 1-year warranty.

If you're willing to be patient, you might get a lightly used one on Cycle Trader or eBay (perhaps a couple of years old) for $4000-ish.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:44 AM   #3
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

You found a brand new SV1000? Where? I want it.

Here's what you should do on the price: tell the dealer you want his absolute lowest price. He'll lie and say (for instance) $6,000. You say, ok, but that's $6,000 out the door, including all taxes, delivery, dealer setup, right? He'll say, ok, $6,000 out the door. Then you say: "that sounds fine, but I'll need $500 store credit to get some gloves, jacket, helmet, etc.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:48 AM   #4
pplassm
Founding Member

Heck you can find lightly-used '03s for $2500, and they sure won't devalue much more.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:48 AM   #5
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

There are listings for this bike on Cycle Trader for $5,999. So the advertised price is about $3k under the original list.

Here's what you should do on the price: tell the dealer you want his absolute lowest price. He'll lie and say (for instance) $6,000. You say, ok, but that's $6,000 out the door, including all taxes, delivery, dealer setup, right? He'll say, ok, $6,000 out the door. Then you say: "that sounds fine, but I'll need $500 store credit to get some gloves, jacket, helmet, etc.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
msiegy
Registered Member

Appreciate the good advice. So those ones for 6000 on cycletrader... when you call their lowest out the door price is $7350(they claim freight and assembly costs for when they originally bought the bike, even though I'd be picking it up myself). I've had 5 guys from the same dealer call me today and each one quotes me the same price and that is apparently as low as they will go. so disappointing the search continues though...

kind of slightly off topic but I've started looking at similar bikes and I'm thinking the Z1000 or FZ1 are the next closest sport touring type bikes out there any other ideas?

Last edited by msiegy : 01-07-2011 at 09:21 PM.
msiegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

"Freight and assembly costs" are pure profit, just like dealer prep is. Does WalMar charge you extra for shipping a TV from China? Does the dealer offer bikes unassembled so you can do it and avoid the cost? No. Those are just labels they put on dollars they want you to pay.

Be cool, wait the dealer out. If they're calling you, that means the Sales Manager is riding the salesman's ass to move the bike. The Sales Manager is getting dinged by the General Manager to move the bike. They can lower their price, I promise you. A couple of things to keep in mind:

Sales have SUCKED for these guys for 2 years now. They're desperate.
They've been paying interest on that bike now for 3+ years. Desperate.
As of the start of this month, that bike is now FOUR YEARS OLD...

Take their calls, be polite but firm, and tell them you're not paying almost $7,500 for a four year old bike. You probably can't get it for $5k, but I'll bet you can for $6k.

Its.......A FACT!
Old 05-18-2011, 03:42 AM   #8
Starter
Registered Member

Like he ^ said dealers start with a price tag and try to justify the means by "adding" services I know some people who have haggled $3,000 off an over marked vehicle.
Starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:16 AM   #9
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msiegy View Post
kind of slightly off topic but I've started looking at similar bikes and I'm thinking the Z1000 or FZ1 are the next closest sport touring type bikes out there any other ideas?
You are allowed to hi-jack your own thread !!

Is this your first bike ??
First time riding ??

If both of those is yes, you might be getting in over your head.
Have we discussed that with you already ??