Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 10-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
tmac00333
Registered Member

Default Never buy a Suzuki Boulevard C90

I'm the latest in a long line of C90 owners to run into the dreaded starting/charging problem. I've had the decompression cable adjusted twice and a new battery put in.

This problem is prevalent in the C90 and Intruder. Nobody seems to know what the problem is. The problem is all over the Internet. My dealer doesn't have a clue.

I called Suzuki customer service and they were rude and about as unhelpful as you can get. I love the bike otherwise, but it's stranded me twice now and I'm trading it in, probably for a Yamaha, but maybe a Harley, Kawasaki or even Harley.
tmac00333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

10 seconds on google yields this:

"I've got a 2006 and just found this while surfing around...

"Realistically, diagnosing the problem behind a bike that won't start, can be a frustrating experience, as there are many potential problems that can create the same symptoms. Here are a couple of guidelines to help determine the root of a "labored" starting problem, and by "labored", we mean that the starter motor kicks in and attemps to turn the engine over, but either can't get it over the "hump", or does so with a lot more effort than usual.

"If your battery is over two years old, and you CONSISTENTLY have a labored start, then the first suspect will be the battery.

"If she starts cold with no problems, but CONSISTENTLY has labored starting while hot, then the charging system should be checked. A grounding rectifier can actually discharge your battery while you ride. The battery can somewhat recover while sitting, so it may well start the bike while its cold, but then not be able to start it after only a few miles of riding.

"If everything on the bike seems to be in perfect order, and you OCCASIONALLY have a labored start, or no-start, for no apparent reason, and with no perceived pattern, then very likely, the rear decomp cam is loose. A good test for this is to place the bike in second or third gear when it won't crank, and push it backwards a few inches while in gear, then try again. If it starts then, you definately have a loose rear cam. Pushing the bike backwards while in gear moves the rear piston back off its compression stroke enough to give the system a running start at it when you push the button. This will only happen when the rear cylinder stops on its compression stroke. Therefore, it seems impossible to predict when it won't start. Might be cold, might be hot, might only happen once today, but maybe three times tomorrow...This occasional no-start is the prime indicator that the problem lies with the rear decomp cam. (If the front cam were out of adjustment, it would NEVER start properly, as both cams would then be off their specs.)

"---Quoted from Decomp Valve Adjustment "
Old 10-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
MOKE1K
Registered Member

That was easy!

Baaahahhhaaaa...
Old 06-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Michaelnel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac00333 View Post
I'm the latest in a long line of C90 owners to run into the dreaded starting/charging problem. I've had the decompression cable adjusted twice and a new battery put in.

This problem is prevalent in the C90 and Intruder. Nobody seems to know what the problem is. The problem is all over the Internet. My dealer doesn't have a clue.

I called Suzuki customer service and they were rude and about as unhelpful as you can get. I love the bike otherwise, but it's stranded me twice now and I'm trading it in, probably for a Yamaha, but maybe a Harley, Kawasaki or even Harley.
Don't give up on the bid Suzuki just yet, this problem is a minor engineering design flaw. Here's what happens and what to do when it happens. You turn off the engine after riding on a hot day, the engine heat builds even higher for several minutes, this is called hot soak. Now if one of those big pistons stopped moving at just the right position, close to top dead center, this causes compression lock. Now your battery isn't fully charged or the terminals are corroded, or you replaced the battery with cheaper one that doesn't have all the cranking amps needed. With a hot soak engine condition, pistons can expand slightly increasing drag and starter motors become less efficient because the windings are very hot. Add up these factors and the starter motor can't push the piston past TDC, even if the comp release is working.
Here's what you do, sit on the bike and turn off the key and put transmission in first gear. Pull in the clutch and push the bike backwards with both feet and when the bike gets moving, release the clutch. Be ready to use the brakes and don't loose your balance. You are trying to bump (turn) the engine in the other direction to move the piston away from TDC. This will almost always allow you to restart the bike using the starter button. I use a battery tender on my bike and clean the terminals twice a year and it's really rare for my bike to not start. Hope this helps....Mike
Michaelnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelnel View Post
I use a battery tender on my bike and clean the terminals twice a year and it's really rare for my bike to not start. Hope this helps....Mike
He will probably never see that........and even if he does, it probably won't do him any good because he is beyond the point of listening and now just wants to rant and blow off steam.

Too bad for him.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
Morbo the Destroyer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelnel View Post
Here's what you do, sit on the bike and turn off the key and put transmission in first gear. Pull in the clutch and push the bike backwards with both feet and when the bike gets moving, release the clutch. Be ready to use the brakes and don't loose your balance. You are trying to bump (turn) the engine in the other direction to move the piston away from TDC. This will almost always allow you to restart the bike using the starter button. I use a battery tender on my bike and clean the terminals twice a year and it's really rare for my bike to not start. Hope this helps....Mike
You left out the part about holding your mouth half-open with your tongue sticking out of the left side while you say "****ing Suzuki, ****ing Suzuki, ****ing Suzuki" under your breath.

Thomas Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state (James Madison said it "drew a line," but it is Jefferson's term that sticks with us today). The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion.

Its.......A FACT!
Morbo the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Well that does it for me, I'm not buying one I can guarantee that Gad Dammit!!!

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
He will probably never see that........and even if he does, it probably won't do him any good because he is beyond the point of listening and now just wants to rant and blow off steam.

Too bad for him.
It was Good Advice, though.

Thanks, Michaelnel!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
sbrpinkie
Registered Member

Default Charging / Short

I have a c90 and have just replaced the Stator and the Rectifier. I rode it for about an hour... Stopped at a friends and went to get back on it and the battery was dead... I am thinking I have a Dead short in this.. I can use a little advise on what to check.. is there a spot that I can meter and see if there is a short? I LOVE my boulevard... I want it to work so I am not scared to ride it. Meaning being stranded out of town, in town, or just down the street..
sbrpinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #10
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

this forum is all screwed up.
Might get more help here:
Motorcycle Forum