Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 10-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
bjdetwiler
Registered Member

Default Considering Buying a 2005 SV650s

A coworker is selling his 2005 SV650s with only a couple thousand miles on it. It has never been dropped or anything like that, but it has been unridden for the last 2 years. It has been sitting in his driveway, uncovered for the last 2 New York winters and has 2 year old gas in the tank.

I can buy this bike from him for around $1500. Is that a fair price? or is the maintenance that this thing needs to make it rideable and possible reliability issues down the line not worth this amount? or should I avoid the bike all together?

Thanks for the input.
bjdetwiler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Buy it... now! $1500 is an awesome deal IF, that is, the bike runs right. Old gas can easily be drained and replaced. If you don't want it, let me know where to find it (so I can buy it).

BTW, it's considered "bad form" to re-post the identical post in two different forums. Just thought you should know.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
bjdetwiler
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick response, any other concerns besides draining the gas? There is some rust on the front forks.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdetwiler View Post
There is some rust on the front forks.
What part of the forks? Most any rust and corrosion can be buffed out with enough determination and elbow grease. Is it on the fork tubes itself? How do the for seals look? Are they cracked? Is there any fork oil seepage that you noticed?
Old 10-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
bjdetwiler
Registered Member

I need to take a closer look at the seals, but yes the rust is on the fork tubes.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdetwiler View Post
I need to take a closer look at the seals, but yes the rust is on the fork tubes.
When you look at the bike again, try to determine the extent of the rust. Take a rag and wet it with spittle. Try to buff off some of the rust. If it works and a good portion comes off, then it is very likely that simply polishing the tubes will do.

Don't, I repeat don't, let him/her see you do this. You can use the poor condition of the bike to bargain a lower price. If the rust comes off, and the bike starts, then smile (inside only, please) and know that you are getting a good deal.

Look at all the frame sections and head tube/forks to make sure they are not bent from an accident. Look at the ends of the levers and footpegs for signs of abrasions, again signs that the bike has been in a wreck.

If the bike is like your description, sounds like it is a good deal... even if it's not road-ready right now.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
bjdetwiler
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. This is a coworker I know well, and he said he has never been in a wreck or dropped it, and I trust him (he is the only owner). I'm feeling better about getting this bike. Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member

All to often people never get the full scope of exactly how much money they are going to end up spending, so what ever you do get an estimate on what it will cost you. Alot of people here do their own work so to them its a steal. If your going to have a shop do it pay them to perform an estimate.

To make a bike safe after its been sitting in NY for two seasons may not be cheap depending on what it needs. Set of tires, new chain, brakes, and the labor. Just get a good idea! Good luck.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #9
pushrod
Founding Member

If there are any appreciable rust 'zits' on the tubes, do not jounce the forks until you have taken some emery cloth and 'sanded' the tubes smooth.

Sand the tubes with an up and down action, not like you're trying to start a fire with a stick. No pressure, and maybe some WD-40. You don't want to 'cut' the tubes, just make them smooth.

If you do push the tubes down before you smooth them, you will almost certainly ruin the seals.

The bike sounds like a good deal.

Apparently it's an F.I. bike, so try not to turn it on until you have drained the tank and put in fresh fuel and maybe a good dose of SeaFoam or Chevron Techron FI cleaner.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
acecycleins
Founding Member

As long as the word Re-Build isn't on the title I say go for it. Shouldn't take much to get it running. A lot of elbow grease will clean up the shiney parts.