Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 08-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
GSBobber425
Registered Member

Default 79 GS425E Carbs/Running

I bought a 79 GS425E. Its my first bike I ever owned. I got it running. It ran pretty good then would start dumping fuel out of the left carb. I bought a new needle valve and seat, new gas tank that also came with a new pet****, and replaced fuel line and filter. Now I can barely get it started and when it does start it runs for maybe 2-3 minutes then it dies out and wont start back up. I don't know if maybe there could be something wrong with the tank or pet****. The pet**** is different from the stock suzuki one. Like I said this is my first bike so I'm not really sure whats going on or where to go and what to try next. Please someone give me some help. Thank You
GSBobber425 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Did you set the float-height on your new assembly to the proper level? Most of them are measured with a gasket in-place (if they use one, and not an o-ring). Set too low, the bike could siphon-off fuel in the bowl too fast for the inlflux to keep abreast of it.

Question #2: Can you put the old petc0ck (can't say "pet****" here on MO, but you used to be able to say "****sucker" - go figure) back on the bike, see if the problem goes-away?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
GSBobber425
Registered Member

Default Poster

Hi. Thanks for replying. Set the float heights? . . . No. How do I do that? Would you be able to explain? And I don't think I should even try the old pet"rooster" on. My original problem I had was it would run for like 20 minutes to a half hour and start pouring gas out of the left carb. Reading about that I learned there was probably rust in my tank and heard that I need to replace the tank, pet"rooster", fuel lines, and clean/dip the carbs. So I did all of that and now I'm having this problem. And I'm just learning to mess around with bikes so I don't really know what to try next. Oh actually after fist posting this problem I took the carbs off and noticed one of the floats looked kinda weird like belt or something. Also it kinda sounded like the float had liquid in it sloshing around. So I ordered one new float from suzuki. And now with it put back together it pretty much doing the same as before but now its a little easier to get it started back up after shutting off. But then it shuts itself off again after like 5 minutes.
GSBobber425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Here's one of the best visual-demonstrations on setting float height I've seen on the Web:

How To Set Your Motorcycle Carburetor Float Level (more commentary).

You were right to replace the float - if it sloshes, there is deffo fuel (or water!) in it, and that makes it a "sinker".....

Here are a few other pages. Rather than "reinvent the wheel" with a description, it's easier just to point you at the "best" existing answers I can.

How to set float height

Float Level Adjustment

And, here's a quick URL to the GS at bike bandit (I don't know where you're buying your parts, but these guys are among the best and cheapest anywhere).

1979 Suzuki GS425 Carb Kits, Parts & Accessories (Universal) - BikeBandit.com

And, if it turns-out that petweasel you bought isn't working properly, here's a link to the rebuild kit.

Suzuki GS425 Petschlong Rebuild Kit

I strongly urge you to obtain some kind of manual specific to this bike. Clymer makes very good manuals for lots of old Japanese Motorcycles - almost certainly this one as well.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 09-03-2010 at 09:19 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote