Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 07-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
bmlbytes
Registered Member

Default Starting the '79 GS550

A couple of days ago I bought a 1979 GS550L. When I start it, it will idle on the choke just fine. If I try to rev it up with the throttle, it immediately dies. It takes about 6 minutes for it to warm up enough that I can start to run it off the throttle and the choke at the same time, and about 10 minutes before it will run off just the throttle. I have not heard of a bike that will not rev up when the throttle and the choke are both used, even before the bike is warm.

A quick Google search would suggest I should try running it off of only Sea Foam and see if that will clean out the carburetors. They suggested that might fix this issue. I was wondering what you guys thought. Maybe I just need to be patient with the old bike? Or maybe it really does have clogged jets?
bmlbytes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

It sure sounds like clogged jets.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
bmlbytes
Registered Member

Cool. I'll try dumping a bunch of Sea Foam in there and seeing if that works. I kind of figured it was a carb issue, but just wanted to check.

Carbs are easy to clog in Minnesota (where I live) since it is required by law that all gasoline has 20% Ethanol in it. It was supposed to be to help the corn farmers that live here, but it just makes for messy gas.

I will run my bike on the Sea Foam and let it sit in the carbs overnight then fill the tank with a nice high octane gas tomorrow and see if that helps.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Probably won't work - be prepared to pull the carbs and unclog the Primary jets with a piece of fine, soft copper wire (not steel!) and spray-carb cleaner. Every orifice needs to have the cleaner blown-through it, and it MUST come out somewhere.

Avoid getting the cleaner on any rubber-bits, it causes them to soften, swell, and stretch.

It goes without saying eye-protection is a MUST - 'cuz that shyte hurts, Yo........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Listen the reason it runs off the choke is becuase it's a completely different passage way. Once the choke is shut off it will run off off the idle passageway the normal means of transportation for the fuel when the choke is shut off. You need to clean the passage ways on the idle circuit. Remember when the throttle is at idle it's circuit or passageway is the smallest because it requires the least amount of fuel. Once you crack the throttle off idle or it's circuit, it runs off the slow speed jet and then on to the main jet or main circuit once you are full throttle. The main jet or circuit is he biggest hole if you will and is the hardest to clog Because of it's size. On the opposite side the idle circuit is always the first to clog because of it's diminutive size. Pull it off and shot contact cleaner through the body of the carb and witness it exiting then you know it's cleared. Good luck let us know where you get with it.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 07-18-2010 at 04:58 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Listen the reason it runs off the choke is becuase it's a completely different passage way. Once the choke is shut off it will run off off the idle passageway the normal means of transportation for the fuel when the choke is shut off. You need to clean the passage ways on the idle circuit. Remember when the throttle is at idle it's circuit or passageway is the smallest because it requires the least amount of fuel. Once you crack the throttle off idle or it's circuit, it runs off the slow speed jet and then on to the main jet or main circuit once you are full throttle. The main jet or circuit is he biggest hole if you will and is the hardest to clog Because of it's size. On the opposite side the idle circuit is always the first to clog because of it's diminutive size. Pull it off and shot contact cleaner through the body of the carb and witness it exiting then you know it's cleared. Good luck let us know where you get with it.
I... uh... thought I just said that........
Old 07-19-2010, 06:12 AM   #7
bmlbytes
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll let you know what happens. Last night I ran it off Sea Foam alone then let it sit for a few hours. After that I filled it with 91 octane fuel. I haven't tried to run it since the bike cooled down yet though. If it didn't fix it, i'll take your suggestions on opening the carbs and manually cleaning the jets.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
pushrod
Founding Member

You might want to change the 'rubbers' when you pull the carbs, unless they've been replaced in the last couple of years.

Seafoam is great stuff, but it doesn't usually help after a jet clogs.

Lastly, 'Sta-bil' is your friend. Especially with the gas formulations we're using nowadays.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I... uh... thought I just said that........
Sorry, it wasn't there when I started. Took me a while to respond.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Sorry, it wasn't there when I started. Took me a while to respond.
No Problemo. Sometimes happens to me as well. More impetus to type faster and faster.....