Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 07-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Rictor
Registered Member

Question 1990 Katana - shuts off when clutch pulled in

So my motorcycle recently started having an odd problem:

Whenever I pull in the clutch completely and roll off the throttle, the bike simply turns off. Doesn't stall, it just quietly shuts off. I can start it again with the starter button, but I need to apply throttle so that it doesn't turn off again. This happens regardless of which gear I'm in. As you can imagine, I now dread stoplights and the bike isn't being used until I figure this out.

It's an older model, a 1990 GSX600-F, and I'm by no means the first owner. But I've had it for more than a year, and it seems to be in generally decent shape. What's baffling is that I rode it for a good long while on Sunday without any problems, and then on Monday morning this started happening. We're talking less than 12 hours, during which the motorcycle was parked outside and not being used.

I've Googled the issue, and it seems that many people have had similar problems (in general, not only with Katanas). But there is no comprehensive solution, at least as far as I've been able to find.

It's worth mentioning that I had this same problem occur about a month ago, but it wasn't as severe (only shut off sporadically) and it went away after about two days. But now it's essentially non-rideable, so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Rictor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Intermittent Issue.

Oooh, hard to say. If it only had one or two carbs, I'd say air-cutoff-valve(s), but with 4 that's unlikely.

How does it idle? What's the idle RPM? As a stop-gap, have you tried to set the base-idle about 300-400rpm high?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rictor View Post
So my motorcycle recently started having an odd problem:

Whenever I pull in the clutch completely and roll off the throttle, the bike simply turns off. Doesn't stall, it just quietly shuts off. I can start it again with the starter button, but I need to apply throttle so that it doesn't turn off again. This happens regardless of which gear I'm in. As you can imagine, I now dread stoplights and the bike isn't being used until I figure this out.

It's an older model, a 1990 GSX600-F, and I'm by no means the first owner. But I've had it for more than a year, and it seems to be in generally decent shape. What's baffling is that I rode it for a good long while on Sunday without any problems, and then on Monday morning this started happening. We're talking less than 12 hours, during which the motorcycle was parked outside and not being used.

I've Googled the issue, and it seems that many people have had similar problems (in general, not only with Katanas). But there is no comprehensive solution, at least as far as I've been able to find.

It's worth mentioning that I had this same problem occur about a month ago, but it wasn't as severe (only shut off sporadically) and it went away after about two days. But now it's essentially non-rideable, so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Make sure your side stand safety switch is
Depressed. Meaning make sure the kickstand is pushing the switch closed when it's up. Let me know. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Did you figure out what the problem was?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Does that bike have a clutch switch? Mine does, and they're known to get flakey and cut the ignition.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
MOKE1K
Registered Member

That would come next. That's a good point I'm trying to remember what year they had the old style brass contact switches.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 07-15-2010 at 02:04 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote