Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 06-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
kody
Registered Member

Default Boulevard S50 -changing the battery

My wife has an S50 and the owner's manual is really confusing about changing the battery. Any clear instructions available? Guidance?
kody is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Remove the ground (black) lead first and connect it last. Once the leads are disconnected just remove whatever clamp is holding the battery and pull it out. It can help to get some dielectric grease at Autozone and smear it on the terminals after the new battery is installed. Make sure the overflow tube is reconnected as well.

Don't cheap out on a battery. It's false economy. Buy a good one like with a 3 year warranty.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Make sure the overflow tube is reconnected as well.

Don't cheap out on a battery. It's false economy. Buy a good one like with a 3 year warranty.
I thought you were a battery expert. If he buys a decent battery it won't have an overflow tube, it will be sealed.

HAH!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I thought you were a battery expert. If he buys a decent battery it won't have an overflow tube, it will be sealed.

HAH!
Curses!

But there are still batteries with good warranties that are old fashioned lead-acid so I'm only half-foiled.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
kody
Registered Member

Default thanks but ...

My problem is getting to the battery itself. The frame is blocking the battery and one book says go into the frame on the side to access it and another says remove the support from the bottom of the bike and the battery will essentially fall out. On the latter, I was advised to put the rear tire on a 2x4 to elevate it and give more room to work underneath.

I've never had difficulty simply accessing the battery before.

Thanks for the other comments. I am getting a good gel battery.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Unfortunately some bikes have the battery buried where it's a cast-iron bytch to remove it.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Ok,... this battery is very hard to remove. The reason, is because you have to remove it from the bottom of the bike, underneath. There are two screws (10mm socket will be required) located on both sides of this battery box. It's located in line underneath her seat all the way to ground underneath the bike. Basically you'll have to get down on the ground to see them if you don't know where they are. Above the exhaust you'll notice the terminals covers.( if they are still there) One side is positive and the other negetive, obviously.

Just unable to recall which side is which.

The problem with changing this battery is that the regulator/rectifier is located (left side of bike while seated) very close to were you'll be unsrcewing- I belileve the negetive terminal. Which could present problems even with the bike turned off. You can arc the screw driver to the exhaust and burn something out.

Not to discourage you but hopefully you have a degree in mechanics cause its a beiotch. You will deffinately want a little longer than average length screw driver. The part you dont want to miss is taping up the shaft of the screw driver with duc tape, so as to not burn any component out if it were to touch the pipes. The other thing that you may want to consider is removing one screw from the regulator and spinning it out of your way. Its hard to get that screw back in so try it first without removing the reg/rec. screw.

Once you remove the tiny positive and negetive terminal cover screws, then remove the battery screws themselves unhooking the leads - then +. Then you can look for those ten mm head screws that hold the door shut. It will flap open like a door opening, Opening towards the front wheel.
It will swing backwards once open. Watch it cause the batteries weight will make it fall right out. Another problem with this superior design is sometimes the door to the battery box wont open due to lack of ground clearance. In this case have someone stand the bike up off its sidestand. Good luck I'll be here to help with any questions through the process.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 07-01-2010 at 08:49 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member

And if its any consolation Seru, this bike has a place for the battery breather hose.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool You can do it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kody View Post
My problem is getting to the battery itself. The frame is blocking the battery and one book says go into the frame on the side to access it and another says remove the support from the bottom of the bike and the battery will essentially fall out. On the latter, I was advised to put the rear tire on a 2x4 to elevate it and give more room to work underneath.

I've never had difficulty simply accessing the battery before.

Thanks for the other comments. I am getting a good gel battery.
Just imagine what a technician gets paided to do this above average battery swap.(nothing) Iv seen customers mess with it for an hour in the parking lot cause they didnt want to pay the money for it.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
kody
Registered Member

Thanks for the details. Guess July 4 will be a good day to follow Moke1K's instructions. Hope I don't have any fireworks. Truly appreciate everyone's comments and help. If you hear a motorcycle fireworks display in Ohio, you know where it came from.
Best to all for a great 4th
Kody