Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 04-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclix View Post
Lol, no if it feels like it doesn't want to shift I don't force it. It seems tricky to find neutral which my manual point the finger at a clutch issue as some people have mentioned and even when it seems to be in neutral and it's kick started and rear wheel still moves so it's a bit puzzling.
When a bike is running and in neutral it is perfectly normal for the rear wheel to spin a bit.There is hydraulic effect from the oil in the tranny and a tiny bit of friction so the idling gears and shafts will all spin some.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #22
eclix
Registered Member

Well today I put some fresh gas in and tried bum starting it. You could hear a sort of thumping noise I am think that's compression happening, but definitely seems like it's not firing at all.
eclix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #23
pushrod
Founding Member

If you can do it in a darkened room, like a garage with the door closed, take the plugs out, put them back on the wires, and then prop them (or have someone who doesn't know better hold them) where you can see if a spark jumps from the electrode to the engine case when you kick the engine through a rev or two.

No need to kick it like you're starting it, just enough to get the motor through a couple rotations.

If you get a good snap/ blue spark/ pi$$ed off assistant, it means you have good ignition spark. Work out the air and the fuel, and you're there.

However, if the carbs are half as messed up as I assume they are, you're not going to get it to fire until you rebuild them. Not a big deal, just pay close attention to what you are taking apart. Careful of little springs!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #24
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

We need a Mobile Matt Unit. Take Cuddy and put him in a pod with some tools and a lift. Air drop him (with spirits and meds of course) into the latest busted bike location. He can blow up a balloon with a recovery rope when he's done.

Klazy Ken "WE COME TO YOU" Motocycle Repairs!
Old 04-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #25
eclix
Registered Member

Wouldn't that be nice to have a mini mechanic haha. I think seeing if the spugs spark or not may be more difficult than it sounds haha. If I have the rear wheel off the ground when I hold the clutch and kick start it, the rear wheel turns, but doesn't really feel like it's cranking the engine. I think I am going to wait till my uncle is down, he's pretty with this stuff.
I feel so far just getting everything loosened up and moving is great, but I just wish I could get things to cooperate haha.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 AM   #26
pplassm
Founding Member

That bike may not have a "primary" kick start. That means the clutch must be engaged in order to turn the engine over with the lever. Ergo, the transmission must be in neutral to start the engine, or the rear wheel must be off the ground.

The GS400 design is old enough that this may be a factor.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #27
eclix
Registered Member

An update, my cousin was up this weekend and we pulled the bike out. We got it in neutral.
We discovered why the bike has been a workout moving it around. The front brakes are grabbing so I think next time we will try bleeding the front brake, the rear brake seems to be in order. We will also be pulling the clutch most likely.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:17 AM   #28
eclix
Registered Member

Another update. My uncle came down and we check out the bike. We checked to see if there was spark and there was no spark. We checked the connections from the plug wires to the coils and everything seems to check out.
We hooked it up to the car's battery and dash lit up and even the push start works, but still no spark. I am going to try new plugs.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #29
eclix
Registered Member

Well I have encouraging news! We got it running.We were rather shocked it started. It only runs as long as the choke is on and it bogs down if you try to rev it up too much, I guess we'll clean the carbs and hopefully we'll see improvement.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclix View Post
Well I have encouraging news! We got it running.We were rather shocked it started. It only runs as long as the choke is on and it bogs down if you try to rev it up too much, I guess we'll clean the carbs and hopefully we'll see improvement.
Not running except with choke is a classic symptom of the idle-jet(s) being clogged. A soak will be unlikely to help, only some spray-cleaner (wear eye protection!) and a small, soft bit of copper wire will clear the jet. Avoid getting carb-cleaner on any rubbery-typee-pieces (bowl-gasket o-rings, diaphragms, insulator-boots, etc.), as they tend to swell-up when exposed to those solvents.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote