Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 01-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
crpowell08
Registered Member

Default 1984 Suzuki GS1100 won't start

I recently got a hold of a 1984 Suzuki gs1100 it started when I got it left it sit for a few days when it got to around 2 degrees here The battery went dead and I noticed it was not the right battery so I bought the new battery(the right one) and charged it over night. but it still won't start I tried the prime and reserve and run positions with no luck. would it hurt to spray starting fluid in the carb and would it matter which one I spray it into. I have also just changed all 4 spark plugs.

Sorry I got this in two areas I didn't notice the Suzuki forum when I put this question in general discussions
crpowell08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Use carb cleaner (and not the "safe" stuff), avoid starting-ether when possible, a shot in all of 'em would be prudent.

What's the ambient temp at your place right now? If still low, it might be just too cold. Fuel has to vapourise in order to combust, and doesn't so well in the cold. Bikes aren't really "designed" to run at low temps, even EFI.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
crpowell08
Registered Member

I managed to get it to start but there is gas leaking from one of the air cleaner thingsI am thinking the valve/needle might be stuck and just want to see if I am on the right track thinking that or what else might cause it
Old 01-16-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Sounds like you're on the right track - you've got a float valve stuck in a carb. Could be crud in a needle seat, or could be just "sticking" - try a sharp but gentle rap with a screwdriver handle on the offending float-bowl, see if it stops overflowing.

If not, it'll require a bit of minor mechanic'n to clean the carb(s).

You would be wise to obtain a copy of the Factory Manual at this point. Or a Clymer Manual, in a pinch.

Good Luck. Keep us apprised of your situation.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Make sure you know the condition your fuel tank on the inside, you don't want to clean the carbs and send the gunk right back into it.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
crpowell08
Registered Member

Thumbs up

okay I tried tapping on the carb bowl and it is still doing it so I guess my next step is to take the carbs off clean them (which I can put in the carb cleaner at my school) and going to empty the tank inspect it and clean it out. but when I got it started today it won't idle could that be the same thing to much fuel choking it out.

I also noticed yesterday when I took it for a ride it seemed to be pulling to the right when giving gas could that be caused by the same problem since the Carb on the left is the one leaking gas

Last edited by crpowell08 : 01-17-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 01-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crpowell08 View Post

it seemed to be pulling to the right when giving gas could that be caused by the same problem since the Carb on the left is the one leaking gas
Yes. When my rear cylinder isn't getting as much fuel as the front one, the bike tends to wheelie a lot. When I had a Honda CB 550, the right cylinders were always out of tune and the bike rode at a 20 degree angle to the left. It was a real PITA...after a while I started leaning left all the time.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"I also noticed yesterday when I took it for a ride it seemed to be pulling to the right when giving gas could that be caused by the same problem since the Carb on the left is the one leaking gas"

Check the swingarm,. It may be loose and the pull is causing the bike to sway when on the power.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Yes. When my rear cylinder isn't getting as much fuel as the front one, the bike tends to wheelie a lot. When I had a Honda CB 550, the right cylinders were always out of tune and the bike rode at a 20 degree angle to the left. It was a real PITA...after a while I started leaning left all the time.
That is damn funny, made me bust a gut