Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 08-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
maverick8605
Registered Member

Default Firing problem? with 96 RF900

I have a 96 RF900 and it was running fine and great then it got hard to start and then it would run pretty decent, then it went to where you had to fight it to keep it running and i rode it around the block and it died a few times and i got it back to the house and next time tried and it wont run at all, I have pulled the plugs out and laid them on the frame and it seems to spark eradically but it does spark but i have to really rub the plug against the metal to get it to show spark. i also put fresh gas and tried spraying starting fluid and it doesn't help. hopefully somebody can help me with this, because i need my bike.....thanks
maverick8605 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
sdufour1980
Registered Member

Try to find a piece of electric wire and ground the spark plug realy good to the frame, just to make sure if it's spark all the time, check if you got a gas problem ( like clogs gas filter)
sdufour1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
SmokeU
Registered Member

Immerse the bike in a brine solution for 3 weeks, then remove and rinse with a pressure washer. All will be fine.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
maverick8605
Registered Member

I've spray fluid directly into the carbs and it doesn't help. idk if one of the coil packs is faulty or what but i'll try and ground the plug better and check it again.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
sdufour1980
Registered Member

If it fire good ,maybe try to switch the lead on the coils, my bike was firing in the worng order and felt like it wanted to start but I had to fight it to keep it working, then I switch the lead and bang like a new bike
Old 08-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
maverick8605
Registered Member

you referring to the connector that feeds the coil right? you are saying to switch the 2 around?
Old 08-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick8605 View Post
you referring to the connector that feeds the coil right? you are saying to switch the 2 around?
I wouldn't do that if I were you, unless you have a really good reason to believe the wires were switched. I'd look for more likely issues like a clogged air or fuel filter, carbs out of adjustment, intake air leak, etc. It could be the ignition system, but swapping the plug wires around is kind of a bizzare thing to do. It probably just needs a tune-up. Take it to the shop and give the man some buckazoids.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
sdufour1980
Registered Member

Ken is right if you didn't touch anything yet I woudnt try switching it but as bizare as it sound my bike had that problem, and work fine after I did it.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #9
maverick8605
Registered Member

i ohmed the pulse generator out and got about 300k. i checked every spark plug for fire and they all hit strong. i have sprayed carb cleaner and poured gas in the carbs and it wont run. i ohmed the coils out across the 2 wires feeding in to them and got 2.9 on each of them i have no idea what to do at this point. and i can feel suction on my hand if i put my hand over the opening on 1 of the carbs so it leads me to think its in time. i am clueless........it will not even try to spit sputter fart or anything.???????
Old 08-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick8605 View Post
i ohmed the pulse generator out and got about 300k. i checked every spark plug for fire and they all hit strong. i have sprayed carb cleaner and poured gas in the carbs and it wont run. i ohmed the coils out across the 2 wires feeding in to them and got 2.9 on each of them i have no idea what to do at this point. and i can feel suction on my hand if i put my hand over the opening on 1 of the carbs so it leads me to think its in time. i am clueless........it will not even try to spit sputter fart or anything.???????
You don't have a manual do you? I doubt that the pulse generator should read 300K. I had a KZ750 lose a pulse gen pick-up one day when I was cruisin' down I-15. Had to truck it home. When they go, they go.