Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Suzuki (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/suzuki/)
-   -   new user (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/suzuki/12586-new-user.html)

sdufour1980 07-19-2009 10:36 AM

new user

hello everyone im new to this forum and need some help on a gs750ed 1983, first of all, the bike got problem with the spark, doesen't work some days and some days the bike is good, i check the coils and they work fine, now i think the signal generator is the problem,how can i check if the signal generator is good. and i like to check if i get a signal from the generator assy. i hope someone can help it is nice outside and want to go for a spin soon

Kenneth_Moore 07-19-2009 01:34 PM

Your best chance of sucess is with a manual and a multi-meter. The shop manuals have diagnostics you can do by measuring voltages, resistance, and amps at various connections. Without those tools, troubleshooting electrical systems is a crapshoot; you can replace a lot of parts and still wind up with problems.

sdufour1980 07-19-2009 02:04 PM

Yep I know that it's been a nightmare but i just hope someone got the book and the same bike so they can tell me what are the ohms that I shoud have

seruzawa 07-19-2009 02:14 PM

Usually a signal generator, otherwise known as a pick up coil, either works or it doesn't. Almost never are they intermittent. At least, I've never heard of one.

It's an old bike. you are likely to have corrosion in some of the connections or frayed wires, pinched wires, etc. You need to pull the connector plugs apart and reseat them several times which will scrape off some of the corrosion and give you a better connection. The intermittient nature of your problem suggests a poor connection somewhere.

pushrod 07-19-2009 03:12 PM

+1 on the poor connections.

You'll need to check every connector, and every terminal for tightness and corrosion. Start with the battery terminals.

sdufour1980 07-19-2009 05:05 PM

Thanks for the feed back, but that did not work I clean all conection that touch the coils, and the signal generator, I even change couple ends on some cable. But when I purchase the bike I fix a lot of broken wire and unrap all of them and check for more broken wire, I think the wires are ok, but I still want to test my signal generator and the two sensor that give the signal to the signal generator I belive that is my problem, I want to buy the book for it but take 3 weeks to come is to long

pushrod 07-20-2009 06:23 AM

Okay, but as posted above, the 'signal generator' (points/trigger) usually does not fail intermittantly. Once in a great while it might fail when it gets hot, but that doesn't sound like your problem.

I'm sticking with the bad connection as the culprit. Especially the grounds (or 'earths' as they are sometimes called).

sarnali2 07-20-2009 06:40 AM

Do you live near salt water?

SmokeU 07-20-2009 06:47 AM

And remember that the battery makes A/C power.

Kenneth_Moore 07-20-2009 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 219237)
Do you live near salt water?

Aha, you're thinking ahead...this bike is clearly a candidate for the immersion resolution process.