Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 09-04-2009, 04:22 AM   #31
JapanesePower
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Good review JP; if you'd managed to throw "spent exhaust gasses" or "spooned on new buns" in there somewhere, you'd have aced the Motojourno final exam!

I don't think I'm going to buy one myself, but it's good to see that Suzuki is producing this bike and that people are buying it. It seems like there's been only 2 bikes for sale the past decades; plastic-clad "sport bikes" or V-Twin cruisers. Sure, there's variations on the theme, but you could just about tape a line down the middle of the local Powersports dealer; Harley clones to the right, Ninjazoids to the left, dirt bikes upstairs with the wave runners and quads. That's one reason the VStrom appealed to me; it's got that general purpose flexibility that bikes used to have, and perhaps the TUX has in a smaller, retro package.

Mr. Duke, have you guys considered an entry-level bike, or perhaps a 350 and under, comparo article? The Ninja 250 is an amazing bike, but there are other good choices too that don't get much attention.
Thank you. I agree. More diversity in motorcycle choices would be refreshing. However, in this economy, the chances of manufacturers taking more chances on segment busters, standards, or UJMs, is next to nothing.

For this, my friend, I weep.

I want a new ZRX1200, Katana GSX 1100S-inspired bike, or the CB1100F to see production. But we are stuck with just cruisers and hyper sportbikes that are painful for me to ride. I love the CBRs, etc...but they are a little extreme for my tastes. Give me a restored '82 GSX 1100S Katana and I will never sell it.

That, in my opinion, is the sexiest bike ever built. Damn, I wish I had a Katana.
JapanesePower is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #32
pplassm
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"Belts last longer than chains? I'll have to ask my pal Andy. He had 2 Buell belts break in 6000 miles."

Tell your pal Andy to quit cutting his dinner steaks on his belt and it will last 50,000+ miles easily. To have two break in 6000 miles means that Andy is doing something seriously wrong.
Andy is skinny, and doesn't beat on his bike. Rock took out belt number one. Number two failed in 600 miles for no apparent reason.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #33
JapanesePower
Registered Member

Update: I had the 600 mile service today, and went on a 117.5 mile trip. On the highway mostly. At the end, I filled up with 1.661 gallons of 87, making my average mpg for the tank 70.74.

Not too shabby, I'd say.

Of course, nothing was amiss during the first service.

I do miss the 650R for my highway attacks. But the TU250X will hardly ever see high-speed tarmac during it's stay with me.

But a 250 Ninja, it is not.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #34
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanesePower View Post
Give me a restored '82 GSX 1100S Katana and I will never sell it.

That, in my opinion, is the sexiest bike ever built. Damn, I wish I had a Katana.
So go buy one:
Suzuki : GSX / Katana:eBay Motors (item 220473318035 end time Sep-05-09 17:40:59 PDT)
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #35
JapanesePower
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
Getting parts for an original Katana is, let's say...a "challenge" in 2009.

All I can afford right now is something that must be financed, not a ground-up restoration (Which is more in line of what I want to do to one).

I'll go cry in a corner now.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #36
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
That is a nice looking bike. They must have either changed the model completely over time; or had a "naked" version. I saw one just last week that had full body work; all swoopy and organic styling. Not my cuppa; but the one listed here is very nice.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 AM   #37
JapanesePower
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
That is a nice looking bike. They must have either changed the model completely over time; or had a "naked" version. I saw one just last week that had full body work; all swoopy and organic styling. Not my cuppa; but the one listed here is very nice.
The Katana name carried on after the departure of the original.

Like the CB750 and Z1 before it...the original GSX1100S Katana was a game-changer for it's competition. It was the fastest-accelerating bike when released. It had the highest top speed, the first 4 valve/cylinder head, it's predecessor, the GS1000, was highly successful in endurance racing. The GS-series of inline-fours were also renowned for their ease of repair, and were nearly indestructible in racing and on the street. The original Katana also had the first production "lean forward" ergonomics, changing the game of "sport bikes" forever.

It also looks the business, because it is the business. Keep your tempermental Ducatis, this bike is pure sex on wheels. One day, I will have one.

I just need to finish grad school first.