Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 09-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

What are these unreliable bikes you keep referring too? Enlighten us.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #22
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanesePower View Post
"Four is greater than two"
JP, how do you like the TUX? I've been admiring it since I saw it pop up on the Suzuki website. I realize it's power isn't what you bought it for, but how about the handling, quality, etc.? Does it feel safe at Interstate speeds; does it accelerate enough to keep you from getting run over?
Old 09-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #23
JapanesePower
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
What are these unreliable bikes you keep referring too? Enlighten us.
I live in Austin and have 3 friends who have owned Ducatis. Lots of electrical problems, and they burn a lot of oil. Aprillias a flawless, as my friend has 33K on his.

Two ride modern Triumphs, lots of starting issues, or, they won't start, that is.

Want me to go on?
JapanesePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #24
JapanesePower
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
JP, how do you like the TUX? I've been admiring it since I saw it pop up on the Suzuki website. I realize it's power isn't what you bought it for, but how about the handling, quality, etc.? Does it feel safe at Interstate speeds; does it accelerate enough to keep you from getting run over?
It's great, but try avoiding the highway. It is a 250, after all. The handling is not up to 400SM standards, but for a 250, it outhandles my old Honda Rebel handliy (probably because of the smaller front tire on the TU).

The suspension is firm, but kind of on the "bouncy" side at higher speeds. This is for budgetary and comfort reasons, no-doubt. It holds turns and does figure-8s in empty parking lots with aplumb. It also clips apexes in-town sharply (but you aren't traveling at GSX-R speeds, so there you go). but the TU250X will never be called a "fast" bike. It obviously is not.

Also of note, the headlight is very bright at night, so you can see very well. My old 250 Honda bulb was much dimmer, almost yellowish. The TU's light is very bright, so visibility is excellent.

The quailty is first-rate for a bike at this price. It takes you back to the 60s and 70s when almost all bikes looked great (In my opinion), and riding it feels like riding a time machine, without all the annoyances of a truly outdated design from that era. The TU is truly, pain-free retro riding. All the fun, without the nagging reliability issues.

The engine sound is similar to the GZ250's. It is a pop-pop-pop-pop sound at idle, and turns into a little snarl during acceleration. I would say it has a nice sound, and there is hardly any buzz through the rev range (Oh, there is no tach, you must shift by ear, like nearly all thumpers). It is a damned smooth single.

I washed it and cleaned/lubed the chain last night, and I still can't figure how Suzuki makes money on it. The engine cases are polished, and turned out beautifully, with a clear coat to protect them. The indented "SUZUKI" text really stands out. The entire bike is made in Japan, according to the VIN plate/sticker, not that that really matters anyway.

When delivered to me, it had no scratches, vibrating parts, rattling, etc. It feels solid, like you can ride it (slowly) across the country, from sea to shining sea. Above 50mph, it gets winded, and runs out of steam. But it sings very happily at 50-55mph, but above that, it feels like your are torturing the poor thing. But speed is not what this bike is about. That's not the point: this is a fun little economy commuter bike that has great style. In these objectives, it succeeds marvelously.

For under $4K new, it is a great bike, and you don't see them everywhere...yet. I read other forums and talk to dealers around here, and they seem to be flying off the floor, even in this economy. Mine was only on the floor for two days before I snagged it myself. I think that is a good indicator, though big bikes aren't selling well at all right now anyway, so by default sales should be of smaller machines for people trying to spend less on fuel, insurance, the vehicle payment, maintenace (sp?), etc.

I say go snag one. It's even cheaper than the 250 Nighthawk (Now discontinued) and the 250 Rebel...it is also of a slightly newer design. I doubt you will regret your purchase, truly. I know I don't.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #25
SmokeU
Registered Member

I'd still rather have a 250 Ninja. I know a dude with a Rocket III. His only problem is the melting of the rear tire.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #26
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
I'd still rather have a 250 Ninja.
Agreed.

Ninja 250 = safe a highway speeds
TU250 = not so safe at highway speeds
Old 09-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #27
JapanesePower
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Agreed.

Ninja 250 = safe a highway speeds
TU250 = not so safe at highway speeds
I agree. But for in-town riding, the TU250X is a great little bike.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #28
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanesePower View Post
I live in Austin and have 3 friends who have owned Ducatis. Lots of electrical problems, and they burn a lot of oil. Aprillias a flawless, as my friend has 33K on his.

Two ride modern Triumphs, lots of starting issues, or, they won't start, that is.

Want me to go on?
I have two friends that have each had a Mille shat the motor, and several others with Ducs that have had ZERO problems (including one with a Multistrada crash-rebuild that he's never been inside the motor but for valve checks).

And still another with a Mille that would constantly overheat and puke coolant all-over on a cool April day. This same friend has had no less than 4 Triumph Speed-Triples, and a Daytona 675 - all with ZERO problems, and all with nearly 20k-miles (some with more) before he traded them - not to "get rid" of them, but to get another bike (but he seems to like them S3's quite a bit!).

mscuddy had a Buell that he never did get the base-gaskets to seal, but I've a friend that's got a XB9 that's going on 35k-miles, and is the most-reliable bike in his stable - far better than the Honda 600RR that has less than 8k-miles, and has been in the shop constantly since it rolled out of the showroom.

And what have we learned from all this, Children?

That's right - one good/bad moto-experience (or two!) does not a Stereotype make............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:37 AM   #29
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Good review JP; if you'd managed to throw "spent exhaust gasses" or "spooned on new buns" in there somewhere, you'd have aced the Motojourno final exam!

I don't think I'm going to buy one myself, but it's good to see that Suzuki is producing this bike and that people are buying it. It seems like there's been only 2 bikes for sale the past decades; plastic-clad "sport bikes" or V-Twin cruisers. Sure, there's variations on the theme, but you could just about tape a line down the middle of the local Powersports dealer; Harley clones to the right, Ninjazoids to the left, dirt bikes upstairs with the wave runners and quads. That's one reason the VStrom appealed to me; it's got that general purpose flexibility that bikes used to have, and perhaps the TUX has in a smaller, retro package.

Mr. Duke, have you guys considered an entry-level bike, or perhaps a 350 and under, comparo article? The Ninja 250 is an amazing bike, but there are other good choices too that don't get much attention.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:16 AM   #30
JapanesePower
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I have two friends that have each had a Mille shat the motor, and several others with Ducs that have had ZERO problems (including one with a Multistrada crash-rebuild that he's never been inside the motor but for valve checks).

And still another with a Mille that would constantly overheat and puke coolant all-over on a cool April day. This same friend has had no less than 4 Triumph Speed-Triples, and a Daytona 675 - all with ZERO problems, and all with nearly 20k-miles (some with more) before he traded them - not to "get rid" of them, but to get another bike (but he seems to like them S3's quite a bit!).

mscuddy had a Buell that he never did get the base-gaskets to seal, but I've a friend that's got a XB9 that's going on 35k-miles, and is the most-reliable bike in his stable - far better than the Honda 600RR that has less than 8k-miles, and has been in the shop constantly since it rolled out of the showroom.

And what have we learned from all this, Children?

That's right - one good/bad moto-experience (or two!) does not a Stereotype make............
We are each a product of our experiences, and we learn from what we see. What I have learned from firsthand experience (And direct experience from those that have owned these makes) is that most Euro bikes (Save BMWs and KTMs) are fragile, tempermental, and overpriced.

I would love to meet your friends with "flawless" Ducatis. It would be like seeing a black polar bear. I better bring my camera so I can post it on Flickr. I have never seen one (Even an ST4, for crying out loud), not even one Ducati with more than 10K miles on the clock.

I have seen 650Rs with 44K, 600RRs with 67K, Hayabusas with just under 60K, Goldwings with 200K+, K-series BMWs with 130K+, and my silly self with 20K on a wooden horse saddled DRZ 400SM. All with hardly any problems.

I don't get these stories from guys I have met with Ducatis, Triumphs, Royal Enfields, etc.

But as I said before, your mileage may vary. As do those of Japanese machines, it would seem. That is what I have learned over 10 years of riding with all kinds of guys, "teacher".