Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Suzuki (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/suzuki/)
-   -   Anyone here have a TU250X? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/suzuki/12516-anyone-here-have-tu250x.html)

The_AirHawk 09-02-2009 02:04 PM

V-belts "waste" power due to a slight amount of slippage - but moto-belts aren't V-belts; they're more like timing-belts (cogged).

JapanesePower 09-02-2009 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeU (Post 223153)
Modern belts aren't all that wide.

Why would they waste more power than a chain? (PHYSICS...race bikes use chains for a reason...even Harley's stillborn failure the VR1000 used a chain) The difference in power loss wouldn't be noticeable at all on the street. (With a single, like the one in the 650 Savage, it would be, you have to maximize your hp with a thumper, as I have owned two myself...both had chain drive) Belts last a hell of a lot longer too. (Until a stray stone pops up in there, then...SNAP!!!) Not to mention they are quieter (If I wanted quiet, I would not have two motorcycles and no car) and don't fling grease everywhere (Like your beloved Harleys still do from their gaskets, eh?)
I can tell you're a sportbike guy or boring inline-4 kind of guy.

Dude, I ride a TU250X. I don't own an inline-four. I have ridden them, and once a ZRX (Again) or 1100S Katana-inspired bike is released (If ever...sigh), I will snap one up in a moment.

I don't pop wheelies, I dont' do stoppies, I don't stunt, and I have not dropped a bike in 9 years. So don't come here and tell me I am a "sportbike kind of guy" when I chose to buy a TU250X, of all f#$%ing bikes. In case you had not figured it out yet, the 650R does not have an inline-four...and no, they are NOT boring. Inline-fours are magnificent.

Certainly more entertaining than a pushrod-actuated, air-cooled, and agricultural V-twin. See, I can paint with a wide brush, too. How does it feel?

To take it further, you are probably one of those guys who say "Japanese bikes have no soul (Because they don't break down every month)". But because your Speed Triple (in your avatar), is built by Brits, and not--god forbid, some guy with the last name of Tanaka, it has "soul", and is therefore, better? Laughable.

I like the new Triumphs, really, I do...but they are not on the same level of the Big Four in Japan, namely Honda and Suzuki.

Japanese bikes ooze more soul than anything with a belt and a pushrod valve train. Four will always be greater than two. Go back to Algebra class, if you need.

Be rude, and I can play your game. Be polite (As I was initaillay), and I will reciprocate likewise.

seruzawa 09-03-2009 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JapanesePower (Post 223195)
Dude, I ride a TU250X. I don't own an inline-four. I have ridden them, and once a ZRX (Again) or 1100S Katana-inspired bike is released (If ever...sigh), I will snap one up in a moment.

I don't pop wheelies, I dont' do stoppies, I don't stunt, and I have not dropped a bike in 9 years. So don't come here and tell me I am a "sportbike kind of guy" when I chose to buy a TU250X, of all f#$%ing bikes. In case you had not figured it out yet, the 650R does not have an inline-four...and no, they are NOT boring. Inline-fours are magnificent.

Certainly more entertaining than a pushrod-actuated, air-cooled, and agricultural V-twin. See, I can paint with a wide brush, too. How does it feel?

To take it further, you are probably one of those guys who say "Japanese bikes have no soul (Because they don't break down every month)". But because your Speed Triple (in your avatar), is built by Brits, and not--god forbid, some guy with the last name of Tanaka, it has "soul", and is therefore, better? Laughable.

I like the new Triumphs, really, I do...but they are not on the same level of the Big Four in Japan, namely Honda and Suzuki.

Japanese bikes ooze more soul than anything with a belt and a pushrod valve train. Four will always be greater than two. Go back to Algebra class, if you need.

Be rude, and I can play your game. Be polite (As I was initaillay), and I will reciprocate likewise.

Funny. I own a ZRX1100. But I don't ride it in the dirt. That's where one is definitely more than 4.

You should actually look at or ride a Triumph before you run your mouth about them. If anything they are better quality than Japanese production. I knew from your screen name that you were going to be loads of fun.

pplassm 09-03-2009 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeU (Post 223153)
Modern belts aren't all that wide.

Why would they waste more power than a chain? The difference in power loss wouldn't be noticeable at all on the street. Belts last a hell of a lot longer too. Not to mention they are quieter and don't fling grease everywhere.

I can tell you're a sportbike guy or boring inline-4 kind of guy.

Wow. Painting with a broad brush, there feller. I have an inline-4, but I'm not that boring.

Belts last longer than chains? I'll have to ask my pal Andy. He had 2 Buell belts break in 6000 miles.

SmokeU 09-03-2009 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JapanesePower (Post 223195)

I wasn't being rude, but I certainly can be. I've only ever had Japanese motorcycles. The last one with "soul" was my first one, a 1974 Yamaha 175 Enduro. The rest(minus the '79 650 Yammy), have been sewing machine reliable. I've had two V-twins, a V-four, and an I-4. I yearn for something that isn't a whiny four banger or something you see everywhere. That something will probably end up being a Buell, British, or Italian.

SmokeU 09-03-2009 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pplassm (Post 223202)
Wow. Painting with a broad brush, there feller. I have an inline-4, but I'm not that boring.

Belts last longer than chains? I'll have to ask my pal Andy. He had 2 Buell belts break in 6000 miles.

Ok, belts that aren't thrashed typically last longer. I know of many HD riders that have 30K+ on their belts.

Kenneth_Moore 09-03-2009 11:40 AM

I thought race bike tuners use chains:

So they can easily adjust swingarm length.
So they can easily change effective gear ratios via sprocket size.

I never heard that they were used over belts due to power loss.

longride 09-03-2009 11:48 AM

"Belts last longer than chains? I'll have to ask my pal Andy. He had 2 Buell belts break in 6000 miles."

Tell your pal Andy to quit cutting his dinner steaks on his belt and it will last 50,000+ miles easily. To have two break in 6000 miles means that Andy is doing something seriously wrong.

JapanesePower 09-03-2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 223201)
Funny. I own a ZRX1100. But I don't ride it in the dirt. That's where one is definitely more than 4.

You should actually look at or ride a Triumph before you run your mouth about them. If anything they are better quality than Japanese production. I knew from your screen name that you were going to be loads of fun.

"Four is greater than two" refers to power output given the same displacement, materials and valvetrain. Check the context mate.

I have ridden a Triumph, a 2001 Thunderbird. It went like stink, but it was always in the shop, and didn't like starting. The quality is nowhere near most Jap bikes. The fit and finish looks great, but if your bike won't start, you now have an expensive yard ornament. I've never had such problems in the 6 bikes I have owned thus far...all from Japan. Hence, my screen name. Don't like it, too bad.

The ZRX is a work of art. I wish they still sold them here in the US.

JapanesePower 09-03-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeU (Post 223206)
I wasn't being rude, but I certainly can be. I've only ever had Japanese motorcycles. The last one with "soul" was my first one, a 1974 Yamaha 175 Enduro. The rest(minus the '79 650 Yammy), have been sewing machine reliable. I've had two V-twins, a V-four, and an I-4. I yearn for something that isn't a whiny four banger or something you see everywhere. That something will probably end up being a Buell, British, or Italian.

Being labeled a "boring inline-four" or a "sportbike kind of guy" (When I ride a TU250X half the time, a bike with nary 20hp at the crank) can only be read so many ways friend.

I appreciate all, well, no...most bikes. But I want them to last. If my Suzuki DRZ400SM left me stranded in the three years (And 20,000 hard miles) I rode it in all-weather, trust me, I would not have purchased another. But it lasted, oh, how it lasted! Even with a stage 3 jet-kit and FMF stainless exhaust, it lasted. It never fouled a plug, started even on cold mornings, and my only inconviences were two flat tires along the way (obviously not Suzuki's fault). Oh, yeah, a rectifier went out at 16K. I got a new one in 4 days, put it on myself, and that was that. That little thumper had more soul, passion, and fun than any bike I have ever ridden. Just spin the engine up, keep it on the boil, and it rewards you in spades in the twisties. The 400SM has a lot of heart, and in the hands of a proper rider with experience, can slay many squids during track days.

My other bikes lasted: My first bike, an '86 Honda 250 Rebel got 10,000 miles of newbie abuse, and never broke. My third and fourth also lasted, two Ninja 250s (A woman hit me from behind and bought me a new one), the second had over 8,000 miles before I traded it in on the DRZ 400SM. My 650R Ninja with nearly 12,000 flawless miles has been a joy to own and operate, and it also oozes this "soul".

I like putting miles on my machines, and if they don't break down, that pleases me, as a consumer. I am not tolerant for this "soul(Unreliablity, character)" many enthusiants wax on about. I didn't like paint mixer vibration, oil leaks, parts falling off, fingerprints in my paintjob on the showroom floor, etc. In the year 2009, I see no excuse for any manufacturer to offer such flaws to a cutthroat buying public.

But if these things move you, if you like paying more and waiting for your bike to be fixed, then kudos to you...you are a better man than I. But these manufacturers will remain "boutique" builders for these reasons. I respect anyone's choice in motorcycle, even scooters. But calling most of these bikes "boring" because they place engines in their chassis that in the 1960s we all dreamed about, but though we would never get, is silly at best.

If inline-fours only had "Triumph" or some other European make on the tank, you would still gush about their "soul", I am sure. We are all people, and the Japanese build reliable, (In many cases) race-worthy soul.

If I pay my hard-earned money on a machine, I expect a certain amount of reliability. I see nothing boring or wrong with that. I like "sewing machine" smoothness and reliability! Yes! Please, I want my bike turbine smooth, and rideable at a moment's notice, in the rain, in the sun, with ice on the streets. I like RIDING.

If being unreliable gives a bike a soul, then you can have it. I want it to work, not be in the shop/garage half the time waiting for parts to arrive from the EU.

That is why I have this screen name, because I have owned Euro cars with soul ('79 Fiat 2000 Spider, "76 MGB roadster), and when I was stationed in Japan, I owned a Japanese car with soul: 2005 Toyota MR2 turbo t-top 5-speed, all black.

Wanna guess which one I enjoyed owning more?

Here's a hint: it wasn't the unreliable cars from Britian and Italy that left me straded over half a donzen times and needed astronomical parts that were impossible to find, in many cases.

Such is the case for me.

But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.