Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 06-25-2009, 06:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Talking Need some help with suspension for '93 Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit

Hey all, i've tried searching but didn't come up with anything good so I decided to ask and see if anyone has any experience in suspension swaps between different model suzuki's.

I havea '93 GSF bandit which has 24k miles and I believe the forks/rear shock has never been replaced/rebuilt. So i'm getting the parts i need to rebuild the front forks soon and was wondering what to do about the rear shock.

I believe I can fit a same year 93 GSXR 400 rear shock onto mine, but knowing it's from the same year, I couldn't see it being any better condition used... I don't want to buy new cause it's going to cost over 400 bucks, which i only paid 900 bucks for the bike..

i'm only planning on riding this bike for this season and maybe the beginning of the next season until i get a GSXR600, but I think it'll be a good idea to get the suspension swapped to renew this bike before I sell it to my friend...

So basically i'm trying to see if anyone knows what later model GS/GSF/GSX rear shock would fit my bandit...

thanks in advance....
djentangle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Old 06-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Founding Member
Thumbs down Easily accessible answers

First, Bikebandit says a complete new rear damper is still available for $413.57. That may be your best option.

Works Performance lists shocks from $415 to $795, depending on options, construction and features. This may be your best best if you are riding the bike hard.

I would suggest getting a cheap 600 Bandit (much more popular bike) shock from Ebay and seeing if that will work, but I see from WP's chart that it's .25" shorter. No easy swaps there. In fact, the chart shows that very few bikes have the exact same eye-to-eye length (12.00") as your bike.

Race Tech doesn't sell any parts for the shock, so that tells me it's not rebuildable. They do, however, also offer a custom built shock, like WP, but they do not list a price. It's probably higher than WP.

Gosh, can't anybody google anymore?
Mongo just pawn in game of life.

Last edited by pplassm : 06-25-2009 at 09:41 AM.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Founding Member

Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
First, Bikebandit says a complete new rear damper is still available for $413.57. That may be your best option.
Nope. I can just about guarantee that a brand-new one is as big a piece of Poo as the one that's on there. I'd go with the WP or try to find a used Penske or RaceTech on fleabay.

Good Luck with your search.

You're gonna need it..............
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

If you're only going to ride the bike for the rest of this season, why f' with at all? I'd put gas in it, maybe some oil if it gets really noisy.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote