Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 05-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
Pattyberger
Registered Member

Default 94 Intruder 800 temp light

I bought a used Intruder this winter and now that the weather is getting warmer i am getting an intermittent temp light. The coolant is full and I know the cooling fan is working because it kicks on when the bike really warms up. The temp light will sometimes flicker or come on when accelrating from a stop and then go off within a minute. I have wiggled wires and the light stays off so I don't think it is a wiring issue. I am thinking it might be the temp. sensor or some kind of control unit problem. Anyone have any ideas?
Pattyberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Get one of those temperature sensor guns. They have them at Home Depot, Radio Shack, etc. for $15 or so. Read the temperature of the engine, the head, the cylinders, the cases, and radiator when the bike has been out for a good run. Report back with your findings.

BTW: the guns are really fun for other stuff too. You can "shoot" your steaks on the grill, your home A/C system, or take it to bars and tell cute women: "I thought you were hot, but this confirms it!" They love that.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

..or take it to bars and tell cute women: "I thought you were hot, but this confirms it!" They love that."

Ken, no wonder you can't buy a damned date!!
Old 05-15-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
Pattyberger
Registered Member

Default Tried that

A guy at work loned me his temp gun but I am not sure what temp I should be reading. I tried it when the bike was nice and hot shortly after I got the temp light. It was 130 degree celcius right where the switch screws into the head of the cylinder.

I never thought of other uses for the temp. gun. I will have to give that a try this weekend.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyberger View Post
A guy at work loned me his temp gun but I am not sure what temp I should be reading. I tried it when the bike was nice and hot shortly after I got the temp light. It was 130 degree celcius right where the switch screws into the head of the cylinder.

I never thought of other uses for the temp. gun. I will have to give that a try this weekend.

Thanks
Uh, yeah........ that's pretty hot there for a water-cooled bike (260+deg F), considering heat-transfer efficiency through the metal. I'd say you've possibly got an overheating problem.

Could be as simple as not enough coolant in the system and overflow bottle, or mebbe the previous owner changed the coolant and didn't "burp" all the air out of the system.

Has the catch-tank been puking-up coolant? Is there coolant IN the catch-tank?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 05-15-2009 at 08:47 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Wow, as AH said, that's HOT. The actual coolant temp INSIDE the engine temps should be in the 200 F range, maybe a bit higher in heavy traffic on a hot day. An occasional spike to 220 or even 240 is fine, but it should drop right back down once you're moving. If you're getting 260F, you've got a real problem. The oil will break down and you'll scuff cylinder walls, gall bearings, etc.

I'd say at a minimum get the cooling system flushed and cleaned. Have the water pump checked as well. Change the oil too, if you've been running at those temps for any time at all it's rooooned.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
Pattyberger
Registered Member

Default Maybe I am wrong

I am going to check that temp. again tomorrow, maybe I am not remembering right. I will also flush the cooling system since I don't know the last time it was changed.

At what temp. would the cooling fan normally kick on at? It does work when I am sitting at a stop light.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Mine starts at 190 F. I have a bar graph with 6 levels, it's usually at 2 bars for day to day riding. When it's at 3 and I'm stopped or moving slowly, the fan comes on. It shuts off at speed,
Old 05-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyberger View Post
I am going to check that temp. again tomorrow, maybe I am not remembering right. I will also flush the cooling system since I don't know the last time it was changed.

At what temp. would the cooling fan normally kick on at? It does work when I am sitting at a stop light.
Be aware it may not be a simple "drain and fill" for a motorcycle cooling-system. Often, to package these things there are "high spots". Considerate Engineers will add little "bleeders" at the high spots to get all the air out of the engine - they look just like a brake-bleeder screw, and work the same way too. A tip: if yours has them, attach a piece of tubing to the bleeder to keep coolant from spilling all-over the engine, and to help the air-bubble "rise higher" than the screw.

Some engines don't have them, and you have to use another procedure to get the air out of the system. You'll need someone with experience with that particular bike to describe to you how it's done, or buy a manual.

Good Luck.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
Pattyberger
Registered Member

Default Redo

Ok guys so I drained the coolant tonight, flushed the system, refilled it, and got all the air bubbles out per the clymers manual. I ran it till it was nice and hot. When the hottest point I could find on the engine reached 230 degrees F the cooling fan would kick on and it would rapidly cool back down. I think I had my orginal temp reading wrong. Just when I thought everything was great I put the bike in gear and the light came on.

It seems to me I have an electrical problem. I tested the temp sensor tonight and it seemed to work as it should (resistance at certain temps. checked out). There is something called the water sensing unit on the scematic. Besides that it is just wires. Any ideas anyone???