Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Suzuki

Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
In The Wind
Registered Member

Question Alternator output 2007 C50T

On my 2007 C50T, I now have heated handgrips and a heated vest plugin. I am thinking of adding a light bar. I cant find a spec anywhere on the Amp output of the alternator or charging system . Can I upgrade, are they upgradable? Or will find myself beside the road with melted Alternator parts someday.
In The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2009, 04:56 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

The spec sheet should have the output in watts. Simply divide the watts number by 12 and that will give you the amps.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
In The Wind
Registered Member

I have looked on line for the past few weeks when i have a chance. Its almost like a hobby. The closest i have found is a C90 with 340W output. Would it be the same for a C50?
Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Wind View Post
I have looked on line for the past few weeks when i have a chance. Its almost like a hobby. The closest i have found is a C90 with 340W output. Would it be the same for a C50?
That's a pretty-good assumption - especially if it uses a bored or stroked version of the same engine.

If the bike is EFI - don't forget to account for the current-draw of the fuel pump (might have one even if it isn't FI) and Injectors and ECU, and all the existing lighting.

I'd say you're just-about maxed-out on your available Watts. However, if you remember not to run all your items at once, you'll probably be OK adding the light bar (don't forget to add a switch/relay when installing it).
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
In The Wind
Registered Member

I think I'm OK. My know it all neighbor came in handy. He suggested plug everything in and watch battery voltage at operating rpm. I started the bike with nothing plugged in or turned on, the battery voltage read 12.6V. I went up in revs until I saw a change, at approx. 1300 rpm (aftermarket tach) the voltage went to 14.1V. I plugged in my heated vest, turned on my heated handgrips, turned on the lightbar and 4 way flashers with headlight on highbeam. Same thing happened 14.1V @ 1200-1300 rpm. I revved it up to 4500rpm and no change in voltage. So it appears that there is no obvious strain or scary battery loading characteristics going on. Am I good ? Any comments?
Old 04-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

With as many accessories as you're using, you might look-into installing one of these two battery gauges: Motorcycle Battery Gauges & Chargers

I've used both the Kuryakyn and the Signal Dynamics, both work really well - you just have to determine if you want a "gas gauge" or a single LED indicator. Both need to be wired on a "switched" 12V source, the SD one requires a small hole drilled into a panel someplace - it comes with a little black-plastic trim ring to hold the LED tight. You hardly notice it when the bike is off.

One thing - your handlebar heaters and vest will draw more power the colder the ambient temps get, so I really, really, really urge you to get SOME kind of monitor-device for your charge system.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote