Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 10-24-2001, 01:43 PM   #1
RayRevolver
Founding Member

Default Re: Boost King, Eat My Dust

A turbo Hayabusa-engined nekkid bike? Me likey! Probably need a parachute for get-offs...

RayRevolver is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2001, 02:56 PM   #2
JTD
Founding Member

Sounds good, blip. But with the Suzuki Boost King the work is done for you. I think it looks fantastic. I like it much better than several of the concepts previewed as of late. I agree with a post over at motorcyclenews.com that the B-King name has got to go (unless it comes with a free whopper). The Boost King sure stirs up the blood though. Now that I know this kind of bike can be made it kind of makes me feel that the big 4 have only given us the least they could get away with in terms of style and performance. I know that's an unfair shot at the big 4, especially considering the likes of the R-1, GSXR-1000, Hayabusa, etc. But goodness gracious, that B-King stirs me up.
JTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 03:18 PM   #3
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Blip

you are a sick, wonderful person.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 03:19 PM   #4
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Oh yeah...

can I have that lil Kaw motor then?
Old 10-24-2001, 05:38 PM   #5
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default But will it make me more a man?

How about a bike called "I'm insecure".

Ok, so a 350 hp bike will be really cool with an 8 inch wide tire at the drag strip, but otherwise just give me a street-fighter Hyabusa.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 06:16 PM   #6
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Re: But will it make me more a man?

of course you'd be insecure, after you rode a 350 hp two stroke. or maybe while you're riding it. I'd put some apehangers on it too. And a foot clutch. Good times.
Old 10-24-2001, 07:25 PM   #7
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default Too Much!!!

I am usually not one to preach what people should or should not be able to ride, and I am not going to start now. For me, this bike is pushing the performance envelope to ludicrus limits. C'mon a naked bike with 200+ HP on tap! Can't wait to read the NHTSA reports after that thing is released!! I personally could not find myself riding anything with more than 130hp for the street. I am interested in the Buell roumor though. I have always liked the Buell models but never considered purchasing one due to reliability issues and lack of HP. Their reliability has been improving and with the addition of a turbocharger should bring the hp up to the 110-120mark. Please keep us informed MO!
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 09:25 PM   #8
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default 200 hp naked bikes

It's not like they don't exist, they just don't sell them at the dealer. But lots of streetfighter guys make their own, and seem to do fine with them. You won't really be seeing this bike in dealerships though. If you want to be that cool, you have to build it.
Old 10-25-2001, 03:46 AM   #9
Lincoln
Founding Member

351hp out of a 999cc triple - that's one wicked sled. i would be satisfied, however, with the stock output of 168.4 hp thankyou
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 03:54 AM   #10
Haru
Founding Member

Default IT's SUPERCHARGED! NOT TURBO!!!

It has been reported, depending on the source as turbo or supercharged. MCN said its supercharged and I believe them. <ul>http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/d...D=67356&=96864[/list]

look at the exhaust headers. Unless the turbo charger is way back next to the rear shock and the intake in routed back to the engine from there, this bike can't be turbocharged!

And supercharging isn't a bad thing. Potential for wild numbers like 500hp may be limited, but on motorcycles where smooth progressive throttle is VITAL, the lag free and most importantly linear throttle behaviour of a supercharged engine hold great advantage over a turbocharged one. A supercharged engine behaves as if its larger than it is all the time. A turbocharged one has a transition zone between its "large engine" and "not large engine" behaviour. Contrary to what all the owners of turbo bikes might tell you, that transition zone is hell on precise control of the bike in corners. You can learn to ride around it, yes, you can do anything. but if we are talking about ideal solutions, a 250hp supercharged engine is a far more usable machine than a 320hp turbo charged one.

Also, it must be pointed out masterful tuning of boost and fuel flow (on each engine individually) involving a very powerful ECU can yield brilliant steady state (lots of power) and transitional behaviour (no lag and predictable, linear throttle response) out of a turbo engine. But throw emissions into the mix and you're screwed. At least the manufacturers are. Motorcycles make throttle response and lag control even more difficult by the lack of rotational inertia in the engine. On a car engine, even if the boost comes on with a bang, a heavy crank and heavy flywheel soften its blow. On a motorcycle engine, too much boost suddenly means too much acceleration suddenly. You really want that?

I also want to address another point. I have a ZX-12R, and while mine hasn't been dynoed, most stock 12s dyno around 160hp at the wheel plus or minus 3hp. While most people are looking to get even more, and too much is never enough, I also know that I can rarely ride the thing full throttle unless I start at low rpm in high gear. My point is that whats needed is not more power and more speed. What would be nice is a supercharged 600 like the R6, and then not for peak power but to fill out its low end and bottom end.

I love big bikes because they start building serious power at 4000rpm and go beserk at 8000. If a 600 could get to about 120peak hp at the wheel but with a fat full torque curve (from forced induction), so that its already making 60hp by 4500rpm, and 100 by 9000, that would be perfect.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote