Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 10-25-2001, 10:35 AM   #31
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: turbo is not like 2 stroke

> turbos are NOT an ideal solution on a motorcycle in tight corners.

Yeah, well neither is V-boost, and the V-Max seems to be doing just fine. Musclebikes appeal to a very different group than SV650s or CBR600s.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2001, 11:16 AM   #32
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Boost King, Eat My Dust

Sounds fun...but the re-inforced (heavier) chassis and bigger wheels/tires that would be required, not to mention the increased rotational inertias, etc... would destroy the handling anyway.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:46 AM   #33
jmeyn
Founding Member

1) You're talking lbs/HP; I'm talking pounds thrust to pounds of weight. The Hayabusa with a 150# rider and full of gas would be about 625# or 1.8 lb/hp. Add the rider and fuel to your figures and see what comes up.

2) I didn't say it was impossible to manage, just difficult. At no point can the rider open the throttle all the way on the supercharged Hayabusa without flipping or burning.

3) I'm talking street. On the track, it's a blast!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 11:57 AM   #34
jmeyn
Founding Member

That sort of goes for the Hayabusa, too. I assumed it had to be heavier than the stock one in my calculations. Look at that awesome rear tire !

But moderate boost on a light bike aimed at optimizing to power curve sounds wonderful to me. It doesn't hurt emissions or fuel mileage much and could actually smooth out power delivery with careful design.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 02:21 PM   #35
jackbird
Founding Member

Default Motorcycle Land Speed Record kind of talk

I have noticed aerodynamic drag increases as to the cube of speed increases. Since horsepower is torque times speed, dividing speed out from both sides of the equation makes the torque required to drive a vehicle through tires on the ground go up as the square of the speed increase. Twice as fast requires four times the torque.

The normal maximum torque force a tire can exert against the ground is the weight on the tire times the coefficient of friction of the tire on the surface.

This has limited the top speed of all who have tried for that record.

I have a great solution, and a design that gets around this problem. If there is anyone else out there interested in actually for real getting the motorcycle unlimited speed record, please let me know if you want a solution that works and is not terribly expensive.
jackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 02:27 PM   #36
poopypants
Founding Member

This thing looks like the Transformer robot toys I played with as a kid...Is this good or bad?
poopypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 02:51 PM   #37
sqidbait
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Land Speed Record kind of talk

I vote for six inch spikes in the back tire!

But seriously...

Isn't the limiting factor in speed records == drag?

I assume that traction isn't the issue at speed...or

is the real reason that the Hayabusa can't do

200mph stock is because the rear tire is

constantly slipping?

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 03:13 PM   #38
starvingstudent
Founding Member

I believe that horsepower equals torque x engine rpm, not torque x velocity. So your equation is incorrect, because you use the term "speed" to refer to both engine rpm and velocity.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 02:46 AM   #39
Haru
Founding Member

dimensionally, he is correct. power = force x velocity. rotational power = rotational force (torque) x rotational velocity (rpm).

drag is a force that is applied to the vehicle by the air, and at the point the vehicle stops accelerating due to drag, the force that it is applying on the air is equal and opposite to the drag. What force is being applied? that is the power being transmitted to the ground by the tyre(s) divided by the velocity of the vehicle.

where does torque come into it? The engine produces a certain amount of torque that is multiplied or reduced by the gearbox and the differential. At the end, you have a torque being applied to the hub. torque divided by the tyre diameter gives you the force being applied to the ground at the contact patch.

As long as you have some traction, the limit to your maximum speed with by the power output and gearing. meaning torque.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 02:56 AM   #40
NavyBueller
Founding Member

Default Physics 101, Fluids 101, and Thermo 101

Aerodynamic drag increases as frontal cross section increases, as drag coefficient (a measure of the vehicle's aerodynamic "slickness") increases, or as the SQUARE of the velocity increases.

Horsepower is a measurement of power (the rate of doing work.) Work is a measurement of energy expended (a force applied over a distance.) Torque is a essentially a measurement of force (how hard the engine can turn the tranny output shaft.)

Horsepower and torque are not directly related. If they were related mathmatically, it would be apparent on dyno curves.

So...

A vehicle's top speed is limited by where the horsepower, torque, and drag curves all cross.
NavyBueller is offline   Reply With Quote