Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Suzuki News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/suzuki-news/)
-   -   New Suzuki V-Strom coming to America (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/suzuki-news/880-new-suzuki-v-strom-coming-america.html)

aminalmutha 10-08-2001 01:58 PM

Re: New Suzuki V-Strom coming to America

A few nice paint schemes. I dunno about paying something like $300 bucks more for a 'limited edition' paint scheme, tho. I dig the new Hayabusa colors. The DL looks ok, but now I'm mourning the demise of the TLS. :( I was crossing my fingers for a Hayabusa or GSX-R 1000 powered nekked bike. Oh well. Sigh.

chucker6 10-08-2001 02:23 PM

Well, the DL1000 is not the SV1000 that many of us wanted to see, but if it has optional hard bags like the other "adventure tourer" bikes, then I think Suzuki will sell enough of them to keep it around. I'm certainly going to try one out.

Dryfly 10-08-2001 02:27 PM

I guess I now know why I can't get a Cagiva Navigator. Does anyone know what kind of hp the Storm will have? Will it be a canyon carver with TL power or will it be a detuned dud. Also, what about a.b.s., heated grips, hard bags, taller shield and the rest of the desired items that this type of bike generally offers? I like it and would be interested.....haven't had a zuki in a while. Unless of course, Yamaha imports the FJR1300!!

mtrot 10-08-2001 02:30 PM

Well, if I were Suzuki, I wouldn't look for this V-Strom to set any sales records. But, for a guy like me, this might be an option. Because I'm not looking to scrape my way around every curve, or run 175 down the highway. However, I do like a burst of power fairly often. I do like an upright seating position. I also like some wind protection, and a large tank so I can travel. This bike looks to weigh 80-100lbs. less than a bandit 1200, but with similar power, and a 6-speed tranny, as well as liquid cooling. Won't win any beauty contests though!

Hawkster 10-08-2001 02:44 PM

Hmm, any bike with the TL 1000 engine piques my curiousity. I love that v-twin sound! And I like the new paint for the gixxer sixer. But it sounds like Suzuki racing R&D is focusing on GP1, not WSB. I mean, an adjustable swingarm pivot on the 750? Isn't that just one more variable to confuse squids in search of "the perfect suspension setup"? Oh well, Suzuki seems to be doing all right in AMA superbike with their current setup. Maybe they deserve a break.

Gecko 10-08-2001 02:53 PM

what a great starting point

granted it ain't a power bomb but get rid of the fairing and change the top tree and you have the beginings of a cool streetfighter. 2-3 years from now this will be a good bike to pick up for a streetfighter project. I however couldn't see doing it to a brand new bike though there are those who do and will. Streetfighters are so much more fun that sportbikes.

luvmyvfr 10-08-2001 03:01 PM

Streetfighters

Gecko

What exactly is a streetfighter? Just a high powered (torquey) naked bike?

luvmyvfr

sanchin 10-08-2001 03:16 PM

Just when I thought I was going to replace my aging Nighthawk with a Bandit 1200, Suzuki comes

out with the DL1000. It looks like it will be comfortable, fast, and versatile. Man ! Suzuki you

are killing me ! Anyone looking for a nice old Honda ?

Pierre_TerBlanche 10-08-2001 03:27 PM

So is this Suzuki's belated response to the Yamaha TDM?

aminalmutha 10-08-2001 04:48 PM

Re: Streetfighters

Basically. Go to www.streetfighters-usa.com to check em out. A lot of people use GSX-R1100's and Bandits to build streetfighters. A lot of them are pretty crazy looking, but look like they'd be fun as hell. I want one!

HyperBusa 10-08-2001 05:15 PM

The V-Strom is just a bizarre machine. I don't think it will do good in the U.S. Elsewhere? Yes. But not here.

The new GSXRs? Ho-hum. Cookie cutter products, Suzuki rolling them out of the facory...ka-chunk, ka-chunk, ka-chunk... At least the graphics on the MoviStar version DIFFERENTIATES it from the other Gixxers.

starvingstudent 10-08-2001 05:21 PM

I really like the V-Strom, though I wonder why a practicality-oriented machine would ever have pipes so high. Wouldn't they cook your luggage or the legs of your passenger? Otherwise, though, a great new big standard (and a V-twin one at that!).

As for the MoviStar paint job, I'd rather have bamboo splinters shoved under my fingernails than ride a bike that looked like that. ICK!

starvingstudent 10-08-2001 05:26 PM

Go to the UK...

...and buy an X11. It's a CBR1100XX-powered naked bike, though why anyone would want that much speed without a fairing is beyond me.

mcho 10-08-2001 05:28 PM

Heated grips, hard bags, tallershield, centerstand,and top box: YES! At least that is what the lit. I have says. They tell me that it will not be available until March and who knows about the add-ons.

Zakman 10-08-2001 05:30 PM

What a bonehead exhaust system! I've got an idea let's make a sport touring bike that has severely inadaquate luggage capacity. Let's make it so you can't possibly go anywhere on it more than 4 hours away. Then sit on our brains and try and figure out why it doesn't sell. Get wise Suzuki and give us something we can go somewhere on and carry some fresh clothes with us. I bought a SV 650 but I won't be buying something for sport touring with high pipes.

mcho 10-08-2001 05:36 PM

You can take your busa to Deadhorse, Ak. if you like but I will take my V-Strom thank you.

mcho 10-08-2001 05:41 PM

Have you ever heard of an adventure bike?(BMW 1150GS)

chucker6 10-08-2001 05:51 PM

Check out the highly rated Cagiva Navigator and Aprilia Capronord bikes. Their exhaust are in the same position as the V-Strom.

HyperBusa 10-08-2001 06:03 PM

Ahhh, another Busa basher. How typical.

HyperBusa 10-08-2001 06:04 PM

BTW...

I said it wouldn't sell good in the U.S...I never said it was a POS. Jump to conclusions much?

aminalmutha 10-08-2001 06:10 PM

Re: Go to the UK...

Fairings are for sissies... ;)

mcho 10-08-2001 06:12 PM

Re: BTW...

I am not here to bash anything or any one. Some bikes go fast and some bikes go anywhere.

opie366 10-08-2001 06:13 PM

Bizarre is in the eyes of the beholder. I think its a pretty good looking machine. As for sales, I wouldn't write it off so quickly. More than one unkind statement was aimed at the Bandit's and they seemed to have sold nicely.

I will agree with the other posts that it would have been nice if that pipe had not been mounted so high. I can see where that may complicate mounting bags.

Opie366

aminalmutha 10-08-2001 06:14 PM

Oh yeah, and that'd be a pain in the butt, most likely, to import. Especially into California, with all the smog laws. I dunno. I'd have to look into it, but I could probably build a streetfighter with similar power for equal money and effort. Plus it would be more rewarding to build than import. I don't know why Honda doesn't bring the X11 here. Screw power cruisers. Give us streetfighters!

aminalmutha 10-08-2001 06:23 PM

Check out the posts below. I haven't read into it, but the exhaust probably is insulated, kind of like the Honda 919. I have a feeling Suzuki has thought that out. High pipes are great, especially on a bike with sporting tendencies. Ya don't want to be scraping things, do you? For the most part, low pipes suck. It's annoying having big scrapes in your mufflers. You'd give up the clearance advantage of a narrow V-2 engine with low exhaust. From the pics, it looks to be a decent bike. It'll be interesting to see in person. I just wish they didn't have to give up the TLS for this thing.

RWUB 10-08-2001 07:06 PM

V-Strom, not V-Storm

neoyetif2 10-08-2001 07:31 PM

That is what I keep on thinking everytime I take a look at it. I think the engine in the Suzi will be much better than the TDM -- although the new TDM looks a lot better than the one we got over here years ago.

Hadji 10-08-2001 07:43 PM

2002 - The Rise of Mediocrity

I just don't get it. First, Honda screws up the VFR. Then, Suzuki blows a great opportunity to come out with a bike that had the ergos of the Honda VFR combined with the awesome TL1000 motor. They could have made one great touring sportster at a reasonable price. Instead there is another 450 plus pound adventure bike. Don't get me wrong about adventure bikes, which I think are fun. Heck, every time you take one of those heavyweights on anything but a paved road you are having an adventure! Why is it so hard to have a solid touring sportster for less than $8K? Let me spell it out to Suzuki via Honda. Take the RC51 engine and tune it for more low end and midrange grunt; Adjust the tranny for a taller 6th gear for covering ground at pace; Place it in the 2000 VFR800 chassis with up to date (Ohlins?) front forks/rear shock; Add powerful lights (Hayabusa lights?) and LED turn signals/brake lights a la MV Agusta and Yamaha R6, 6 gallon gas tank, Hard bags to rival BMW's system as an option. Then get the whole enchilada to weight less than 415 pounds wet.

There are three bikes that strive to meet this criteria. BMW R1100S, Ducati ST4 and Aprilia Futura. They each sell for well over $12K.

Do it for $8K and you will sell everyone you make. Make it reliable and you will have a classic. Whatever you do never turn it into a disposable motorcycle.

Honda missed the boat with their "new" VFR. Suzuki handed out a slice of mediocrity with the V-Strom. Maybe next year someone will make a Borile and my version of a touring sportster.

What about using the term Gran Tourismo for a touring sportster? Touring sportster sounds so lame.

My two cents. Live long and prosper.

pmmonster 10-08-2001 08:04 PM

The primary market for this bike has got to be the Euro adventure tourers... hard bags were designed in from the get go, guaranteed.

starvingstudent 10-08-2001 08:13 PM

The V-Strom ISN'T the latter...

If you think the V-Strom can handle anything rougher than a packed dirt road, you're in for a surprise. Even the R1150GS is pretty darned impractical for "go-anywhere" work, and the Tiger, V-Strom, and CapoNord just are too big and too powerful for off-road.

If you want to "go anywhere", check out a F650GS Paris-Dakar, or maybe a KLR650.

starvingstudent 10-08-2001 08:14 PM

Well, if you're going to be fussy ;-) then how about the new Speed Triple? Doesn't it have the same engine as the new Daytona?

starvingstudent 10-08-2001 08:21 PM

Yadda yadda yadda...

Right, so you want a state-of-the-art engine, a state-of-the-art chassis, state-of-the-art weight saving techniques, last-forever reliability, and lots of fancy options, but you ALSO want it to cost as much as a budget naked bike? Why don't they make the entire thing out of titanium and carbon fiber and sell it for US$134.99 while they're at it?

boxjoint 10-08-2001 08:49 PM

C'Mon Suzuki!!!!

I am one of the few people who would love to have a good adventure touring bike to ride. I always liked the look of the HUGE P-D style bikes that can go (ALMOST) anywhere. So what does Suzuki do???? They take a great concept, great frame, and awesome motor and wrap it in the most rediculus looking bodywork outside of the Ducati Multistrada. An adventure touring bike should look like an adventure touring bike. Period. Cats eye headlamps, large exhaust cans tucked on the side of the seat, and sport style fairings do not belong here. It is really a shame because I am shure that the bike works well functionally, and it is priced very competitively to the current competition. We all know what is going to happen as well, sales will be weak mainly due to the styling (and bad location of exhaust) so they will figure that Adventure Touring bikes just do not sell in the US. We will be left with the only option of spending 12-14k for one of two or three models, which by the way, are hard to find and service European models....Shame

BTW...The two tone silver on the Hyabusa looks great!

boxjoint 10-08-2001 08:57 PM

Re: Yadda yadda yadda...

I agree with you student. Let's be realistic here. I guess that I got ripped by paying $7300 for a steel tube frame bike with a bikini fairing and chain drive wrapped around a carburated 1200cc motor. What is the fair market value of the ZRX?, msrp$3499.95???

boxjoint 10-08-2001 09:25 PM

NO FJR!

It don't think that Yamaha has any intentions to bring us the FJR1300 for a long time....If at all.

Hadji 10-09-2001 03:32 AM

Re: 2002 - The Rise of Mediocrity

Hey guys. This stuff is all in current production. There will only be minor R & D costs added. The VFR is one of the most complicated motorcycles out there. Placing the RC51 engine/transmission would simplify it by two cylinders. As for the suspension, it doesn't hurt to ask. The rest is in the parts bin. The manufacturing cost of a motorcycle is fixed regardless of displacement with more cylinders and valves driving up the cost. Think about it..two wheels, a chassis, an engine/transmission, seat, gas tank, headlights, turn signals.....all motorcycles are the same in that sense. The milling, machining, assembly, etc. is the same for each grouping of components. The amount and quality of raw materials needed used to be the major difference between a 600 cc and 1000 cc four cylinder motorcycle, but that is no longer the case. It is R & D and primarily marketing that keeps prices at the status quo. Look at Aprilia, BMW and Ducati - all of the engine, transmission and chassis components are fundamentally the same in each company's model group. Ducati's ST series has identical chassis/ergonomics with variations in engines and componentry. The price of these motorcycles is kept high by limited production and exclusive snob marketing.

The Toyota RAV4 is a great example of competently raiding the corporate parts bin. As I understand, everything but the bodywork was in production. A little R & D and voila! A new and very successful class of SUV is launched.

I am suggesting doing the same to create a new GT motorcycle. The 2000 VFR had the best ergonomics I have experienced to date. It is the founder of the GT class and the standard which other bikes of this genre are measured. The VTR1000 Super Hawk was ergonomically desiged around the VFR, but it was submarined by the RC51 and the VFR itself. It could only be successful if it was priced low enough to gain significant market share and made reliable and easy to maintain to create brand loyalty. The three european manufacturers I mentioned do this or are trying to do this, but they are in comptetion with each other. The first Japanese manufacturer to produce such a bike at a low price point will become the strongest manufacturer in the 21st century. Call it inclusive marketing and target the first time new motorcycle buyers.

Suzuki is using this concept with the SV650S and doing very well at building their future. They could easily have built a similar 1000cc bike to slap the European bikes but they chose to dole out a slice of mediocrity.

As for the suspension....it doesn't hurt to ask!

Dryfly 10-09-2001 04:28 AM

Wow, I just noticed that! Better get my eyes checked again.

Dryfly 10-09-2001 04:31 AM

Re: NO FJR!

That's fine, I'll just find other ways to get the bike here. Those Yamaha guys can't stop me!!! After that, I might just rule the world!!!!!

Dryfly 10-09-2001 04:32 AM

Bye the way, what the hell is a "Strom"??

crouchingtiger 10-09-2001 04:47 AM

I'll be trading my Triumph Tiger for the V-Strom! Don't knock these bikes till you try them! They do it all,tour ,scratch,dirt roads. The V-strom will look great with some high carbon cans! And it looks a hell of a lot better than the Ducati MultiStrada,for half the price! From now on just call me crouchingvstrom!