Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Suzuki News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/suzuki-news/)
-   -   New Suzuki V-Strom coming to America (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/suzuki-news/880-new-suzuki-v-strom-coming-america.html)

starvingstudent 10-09-2001 05:06 AM

Re: New Suzuki V-Strom coming to America

It's German. It means "power" or "surge" or something like that.

banda 10-09-2001 05:24 AM

Re: extra $300

Reports are that the Roberts replica is the same price as the other GSXr 600s.

R1TCHIE 10-09-2001 05:34 AM

The two reports I've seen put the H.P. at 108/110. This bike, being the lightest so far in its class and with its stiff frame, should really blow away the competition. The FJR1300 is a totally different class.

R1TCHIE 10-09-2001 05:45 AM

Personally I am a Yamaha fan (my last two bikes have been the FJ1200 and my present R1) but this V-Strom should pretty-well blow away even the "new" TDM, performance-wise.

phatvu 10-09-2001 05:56 AM

I would think Suzuki would engineer an exhaust system that would not interfere with passenger or travel bags. A closer look at a similar system on the 02 VFR, you should see the exterior of the exhaust pipe is the heat shield and not the actual exhaust at all. I just look at the intro on motorcycledaily.com and their pics of the exhaust shows the same concept. A heat shield that surrounds the exhaust pipes.

Dryfly 10-09-2001 05:59 AM

Thank you for the def. Why do I as a US buyer want something named after a German term? Why can't they name it the Brittney Spears Killer XL or something I understand?

Dryfly 10-09-2001 06:03 AM

I like the hp even though I'd prefer 130 - 140 (I used to own a Superhawk). I also realize the FJR is in a different class but I can only afford one choice at a time. If they don't bring it over by next spring, I may have to be a Strom (stupid name) owner.

NickdaBrick 10-09-2001 06:25 AM

What we really need. . . (and what I would actually buy)

In the past few years, we have seen the emergence of several trends:

2-cylinder bikes (Ducati, Honda RC51, Aprilia)

Retro bikes (Cruisers, the Kawasaki ZRX 1200, Bonneville)

Off-road styled bikes for the road (V-strom, R 1150 GS)

High-mounted exhaust pipes (Honda 919, V-strom)

So now what we need is a retro, off-road styled road bike with 2 cylinders and high pipes. In other words, we need a Street Scrambler.

My very first bike, a hundred years ago, was a Honda CL 350 Street Scrambler. If somebody built a new bike that looked like it, but

didn't perform like it (it was slow and evil-handling), I swear I would

buy one tomorrow, even if I had to sell my car.

Dryfly 10-09-2001 06:28 AM

Where did you find your "lit." that says that stuff? I would be interested to see it!

Henrik 10-09-2001 07:19 AM

Re: What we really need. . . (and what I would actually buy)

About a scrambler, try to check out the French motorcycle Voxan. They have produced a srambler with a 1000cc twin. Very interesting indeed.

Problem at present is that the company is on the verge of bankruptcy. A real pity because their Café Racer is also a real beauty.

Regards,

Henrik

Try the link www.voxan.com