Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 10-08-2001, 08:14 PM   #31
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Go to the UK...

Well, if you're going to be fussy then how about the new Speed Triple? Doesn't it have the same engine as the new Daytona?
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2001, 08:21 PM   #32
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Yadda yadda yadda...

Right, so you want a state-of-the-art engine, a state-of-the-art chassis, state-of-the-art weight saving techniques, last-forever reliability, and lots of fancy options, but you ALSO want it to cost as much as a budget naked bike? Why don't they make the entire thing out of titanium and carbon fiber and sell it for US$134.99 while they're at it?
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 08:49 PM   #33
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default C'Mon Suzuki!!!!

I am one of the few people who would love to have a good adventure touring bike to ride. I always liked the look of the HUGE P-D style bikes that can go (ALMOST) anywhere. So what does Suzuki do???? They take a great concept, great frame, and awesome motor and wrap it in the most rediculus looking bodywork outside of the Ducati Multistrada. An adventure touring bike should look like an adventure touring bike. Period. Cats eye headlamps, large exhaust cans tucked on the side of the seat, and sport style fairings do not belong here. It is really a shame because I am shure that the bike works well functionally, and it is priced very competitively to the current competition. We all know what is going to happen as well, sales will be weak mainly due to the styling (and bad location of exhaust) so they will figure that Adventure Touring bikes just do not sell in the US. We will be left with the only option of spending 12-14k for one of two or three models, which by the way, are hard to find and service European models....Shame

BTW...The two tone silver on the Hyabusa looks great!
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 08:57 PM   #34
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default Re: Yadda yadda yadda...

I agree with you student. Let's be realistic here. I guess that I got ripped by paying $7300 for a steel tube frame bike with a bikini fairing and chain drive wrapped around a carburated 1200cc motor. What is the fair market value of the ZRX?, msrp$3499.95???
Old 10-08-2001, 09:25 PM   #35
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default NO FJR!

It don't think that Yamaha has any intentions to bring us the FJR1300 for a long time....If at all.
Old 10-09-2001, 03:32 AM   #36
Hadji
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 - The Rise of Mediocrity

Hey guys. This stuff is all in current production. There will only be minor R & D costs added. The VFR is one of the most complicated motorcycles out there. Placing the RC51 engine/transmission would simplify it by two cylinders. As for the suspension, it doesn't hurt to ask. The rest is in the parts bin. The manufacturing cost of a motorcycle is fixed regardless of displacement with more cylinders and valves driving up the cost. Think about it..two wheels, a chassis, an engine/transmission, seat, gas tank, headlights, turn signals.....all motorcycles are the same in that sense. The milling, machining, assembly, etc. is the same for each grouping of components. The amount and quality of raw materials needed used to be the major difference between a 600 cc and 1000 cc four cylinder motorcycle, but that is no longer the case. It is R & D and primarily marketing that keeps prices at the status quo. Look at Aprilia, BMW and Ducati - all of the engine, transmission and chassis components are fundamentally the same in each company's model group. Ducati's ST series has identical chassis/ergonomics with variations in engines and componentry. The price of these motorcycles is kept high by limited production and exclusive snob marketing.

The Toyota RAV4 is a great example of competently raiding the corporate parts bin. As I understand, everything but the bodywork was in production. A little R & D and voila! A new and very successful class of SUV is launched.

I am suggesting doing the same to create a new GT motorcycle. The 2000 VFR had the best ergonomics I have experienced to date. It is the founder of the GT class and the standard which other bikes of this genre are measured. The VTR1000 Super Hawk was ergonomically desiged around the VFR, but it was submarined by the RC51 and the VFR itself. It could only be successful if it was priced low enough to gain significant market share and made reliable and easy to maintain to create brand loyalty. The three european manufacturers I mentioned do this or are trying to do this, but they are in comptetion with each other. The first Japanese manufacturer to produce such a bike at a low price point will become the strongest manufacturer in the 21st century. Call it inclusive marketing and target the first time new motorcycle buyers.

Suzuki is using this concept with the SV650S and doing very well at building their future. They could easily have built a similar 1000cc bike to slap the European bikes but they chose to dole out a slice of mediocrity.

As for the suspension....it doesn't hurt to ask!
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 04:28 AM   #37
Dryfly
Registered Member

Default Re: New Suzuki V-Strom coming to America

Wow, I just noticed that! Better get my eyes checked again.
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 04:31 AM   #38
Dryfly
Registered Member

Default Re: NO FJR!

That's fine, I'll just find other ways to get the bike here. Those Yamaha guys can't stop me!!! After that, I might just rule the world!!!!!
Old 10-09-2001, 04:32 AM   #39
Dryfly
Registered Member

Bye the way, what the hell is a "Strom"??
Old 10-09-2001, 04:47 AM   #40
crouchingtiger
Founding Member

I'll be trading my Triumph Tiger for the V-Strom! Don't knock these bikes till you try them! They do it all,tour ,scratch,dirt roads. The V-strom will look great with some high carbon cans! And it looks a hell of a lot better than the Ducati MultiStrada,for half the price! From now on just call me crouchingvstrom!
crouchingtiger is offline   Reply With Quote