Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 10-08-2001, 06:10 PM   #21
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Default Re: Go to the UK...

Fairings are for sissies...
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2001, 06:12 PM   #22
mcho
Founding Member

Default Re: BTW...

I am not here to bash anything or any one. Some bikes go fast and some bikes go anywhere.
mcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 06:13 PM   #23
opie366
Founding Member

Default Re: New Suzuki V-Strom coming to America

Bizarre is in the eyes of the beholder. I think its a pretty good looking machine. As for sales, I wouldn't write it off so quickly. More than one unkind statement was aimed at the Bandit's and they seemed to have sold nicely.

I will agree with the other posts that it would have been nice if that pipe had not been mounted so high. I can see where that may complicate mounting bags.

Opie366
opie366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 06:14 PM   #24
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Default Re: Go to the UK...

Oh yeah, and that'd be a pain in the butt, most likely, to import. Especially into California, with all the smog laws. I dunno. I'd have to look into it, but I could probably build a streetfighter with similar power for equal money and effort. Plus it would be more rewarding to build than import. I don't know why Honda doesn't bring the X11 here. Screw power cruisers. Give us streetfighters!
Old 10-08-2001, 06:23 PM   #25
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Check out the posts below. I haven't read into it, but the exhaust probably is insulated, kind of like the Honda 919. I have a feeling Suzuki has thought that out. High pipes are great, especially on a bike with sporting tendencies. Ya don't want to be scraping things, do you? For the most part, low pipes suck. It's annoying having big scrapes in your mufflers. You'd give up the clearance advantage of a narrow V-2 engine with low exhaust. From the pics, it looks to be a decent bike. It'll be interesting to see in person. I just wish they didn't have to give up the TLS for this thing.
Old 10-08-2001, 07:06 PM   #26
RWUB
Founding Member

V-Strom, not V-Storm
RWUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 07:31 PM   #27
neoyetif2
Founding Member

That is what I keep on thinking everytime I take a look at it. I think the engine in the Suzi will be much better than the TDM -- although the new TDM looks a lot better than the one we got over here years ago.
neoyetif2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 07:43 PM   #28
Hadji
Founding Member

Default 2002 - The Rise of Mediocrity

I just don't get it. First, Honda screws up the VFR. Then, Suzuki blows a great opportunity to come out with a bike that had the ergos of the Honda VFR combined with the awesome TL1000 motor. They could have made one great touring sportster at a reasonable price. Instead there is another 450 plus pound adventure bike. Don't get me wrong about adventure bikes, which I think are fun. Heck, every time you take one of those heavyweights on anything but a paved road you are having an adventure! Why is it so hard to have a solid touring sportster for less than $8K? Let me spell it out to Suzuki via Honda. Take the RC51 engine and tune it for more low end and midrange grunt; Adjust the tranny for a taller 6th gear for covering ground at pace; Place it in the 2000 VFR800 chassis with up to date (Ohlins?) front forks/rear shock; Add powerful lights (Hayabusa lights?) and LED turn signals/brake lights a la MV Agusta and Yamaha R6, 6 gallon gas tank, Hard bags to rival BMW's system as an option. Then get the whole enchilada to weight less than 415 pounds wet.

There are three bikes that strive to meet this criteria. BMW R1100S, Ducati ST4 and Aprilia Futura. They each sell for well over $12K.

Do it for $8K and you will sell everyone you make. Make it reliable and you will have a classic. Whatever you do never turn it into a disposable motorcycle.

Honda missed the boat with their "new" VFR. Suzuki handed out a slice of mediocrity with the V-Strom. Maybe next year someone will make a Borile and my version of a touring sportster.

What about using the term Gran Tourismo for a touring sportster? Touring sportster sounds so lame.

My two cents. Live long and prosper.
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 08:04 PM   #29
pmmonster
Founding Member

The primary market for this bike has got to be the Euro adventure tourers... hard bags were designed in from the get go, guaranteed.
pmmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 08:13 PM   #30
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default The V-Strom ISN'T the latter...

If you think the V-Strom can handle anything rougher than a packed dirt road, you're in for a surprise. Even the R1150GS is pretty darned impractical for "go-anywhere" work, and the Tiger, V-Strom, and CapoNord just are too big and too powerful for off-road.

If you want to "go anywhere", check out a F650GS Paris-Dakar, or maybe a KLR650.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote