Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 04-03-2002, 11:58 AM   #191
ikonoklass
Founding Member

Default Re: New Suzuki V-Strom coming to America

You and I are considering the same bikes (minus the Z-Rex). I'd have to say, based on what I've read, that the V-Strom may be the best of the three. And the cheapest. Hope it handles well, though. Josh Norem didn't think too much of it in the current Motorcyclist.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2002, 08:12 AM   #192
jfrocke
Founding Member

Is the yellow available in the USA?
jfrocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 12:25 PM   #193
Pointman
Founding Member

Default Should I replace my 92 TDM?

It's just getting broke in at 52,000 miles, and runs nicer than my 01 Sportster (someone please buy it), especially at 125 on twisty loose gravel Alaskan Roads. Will the V-Strom be more fun?
Old 04-17-2002, 09:49 PM   #194
lampell
Registered Member

Read a more detailed report from South African website which says that V Strom weak link is the front forks, making it a bit unstable on bumps in corners. Also at high speed bike is not planted. That being said I am going to buy one anyway If you want to tour and still have a sporty type bike you might consider the BMW RT, which is expensive but better than you might think in twisties. Cops use them too in CA.
lampell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 04:09 PM   #195
webelt
Founding Member

Where can one find a photo of the bags and what is the cost?
webelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 08:36 AM   #196
bigskybum
Founding Member

Cycle World just loved the V-Strom in its World's Best Streetbike article. They gave the title to the Honda Interceptor, but it was quite close. It's sort of hard to consider those two bikes in the same category at all, but that's sure the way it came out in the Cycle World article.
bigskybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:08 AM   #197
jungkvist
Founding Member

Before I get started, I think I should mention that I'm so pissed at Suzuki, for what they didn't do to the SV1000, I don't know if I'll be able to give an un-biased opinion, about anything they do, for the forseeable future. But, what the hell, here goes.

First: As far as the new, Telefonica Suzukis go, I haven't ridden one, so all I can comment on is the paint-job. Ahem! Here's my opinion: Giving a serious, sport bike (that you're probably going to beat the crap out of) a fancy paint-job, is like decorating a hand-grenade. The way I figure things, it's gonna need repainting, not too long after the break-in period, so why bother (But, then, I'm the guy who called "Rhino Liner" to see if they'd paint his bike).

Now, for the V-Strom. Since I took my ride on a V-Strom, close to a year ago, I would guess that Suzuki is bringing a whole, new V-Strom to the States. So, what I'm about to say may, or may not be useful. But, since I'm sitting in front of the computer, anyway, I might as well keep typing.

One of the great things about being 50 is that, unlike you kids, I can generally walk into a Bike Shop, kick some tires, show the sales-manager some pictures of my grandchildren (which may, or may not be real) ask for some keys, and actually have them handed to me (if only the knew). That's how I found myself on a V-Strom, heading for very, windy road, near by the Bike Shop.

I've got a 28" inseam; so, right of the bat, the seat's too high, for me. Once in the seat, it's too hard. I don't mean, Honda (about as comfortable as a High Colonic, hard) but, for a bike that's meant to have some serious miles put on it, the seat could use some work.

Appearence: Ugly! Okay, real ugly....Butt, ugly? That'll do.

As for everything else (and you have no idea how much it pains me to say this) The V-Strom is a dream. It's your basic Swiss-Army-Bike. Ask, and you shall recieve.

If I were allowed to own only one bike (but for the fact that I'd be constantly dropping it at red-lights, due to the seat-height) the V-Strom would be it.

Now, for the SV1000 (here it comes). It might have...It could have...It should have been awesome. Hell, far as I'm concerned, Suzuki could have re-badged the TL1000R, given it a new shock-system, then turned it loose, as the SV1000R. But, if they really wanted to do things right, Suzuki should have stuffed the TLR engine into the old, SV frame, then put a state-of-the-art suspension under it. After that, who cares what they called it?

By the way, I'm a bit miffed at all you young-uns who (by purchasing in-line-four-liter-bikes) have pushed the market away from the (in my opinion) much more ridable V-twins. Now, all that 's left to us V-twin junkies are a handful of expensive, and unreliable Europeans, and a few Japanese, after thoughts (the RC51, being the one, possible, exception).