Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Suzuki News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/suzuki-news/)
-   -   New Suzuki V-Strom coming to America (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/suzuki-news/880-new-suzuki-v-strom-coming-america.html)

Lateshow321 10-19-2001 08:50 AM

SV1000

Suzuki sells the TL motor and the SV650 motor to Cagiva which makes three different naked holligan standards.

They have had huge success in the U.S. with the SV650..it would seem likely that many of those same buyers would like to "graduate" to a more potent model with similar characteristics. An SV buyer would not say to himself "I think I'll look at the Bandit 1200". One you've riden a V-twin and fallen in love with the torque, you can't imagine going back to an inline four.

The TLS and the Superhawk are sport bikes not standards. With all the interest in standards and with the worldwide success of V-Twins in all bike categories, CAN'T any of the Jap brands figure out that WE WANT a NAKED V-Twin Standard!!!! and that we don't want a Ducati??

!!!

Lateshow321 10-19-2001 08:57 AM

919??? Please the world needs V-Twins not more fours!!

The 919?? its warmed over European styling with an out-of-date motor. Why not put last year's 929 motor in it??? Those stupid high pipes!! Give me break. Two years and then kiss it goodbye!

They should have given it the Superhawk's motor!! Voila, instant success. Suzuki would continue to own the small V-Twin standard market and Honda would have owned the litre class naked V-Twin standard class.

Lateshow321 10-19-2001 09:11 AM

boxjoint you are exactly correct about the styling(V-Strom)

I absolutely hate the swoopy fairings and the high mounted exhaust. Who is the bike marketed to??? Where do I hang my travel bags???? The rear-end body work will look stupid if you mount up a traditional exhaust system. Two oceans separate Japan from the land where these bikes were created...I guess they just don't understand who buys this kind of bike..

panthercity 10-19-2001 10:50 AM

Re: New Suzuki V-Strom coming to America

Amongst other thangs, zookiman said;

"...a bunch of motorsickle riders that havent figured out that this is the SUV of motorcycles. "

Now THAT is damning with faint praise...

thunderbolter 10-20-2001 06:11 PM

Hmmmm,

Looks a lot like a Honda Veradero as on the European market. Veeeery interesting, maybe they're finally gettin the mesage we want to see

some overseas models in the great U.S.A. I'd love to ride the Suzook or Honda, after having a KLR-650, something with that much power, suspension,

and increased fuel capacity would be a welcome change.

rikkie 10-23-2001 02:54 AM

Re: My theory on the name

In German, 'Strom' usually means electrical current, more general it means current, flow or river. IMO that still does not make a lot of sense for a motorbike.

It looks like it is a bike to the europeans (my) taste.

Lateshow321 10-23-2001 10:12 AM

GSX 1400 ...just saw pictures of Boost King!!!

Check this thing out at

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/19oct...boostking.html

Now that's a naked street fighter that could handle them all!!!!

Back to the GSX1400 available in Europe..Its a thing of beauty for sure,,but from a past CB1000 owner..what the world needs is a naked power monger that doesn't weight in at 550 lbs. plus!!!

Lets try 450 lbs. max...120 H.P. at the rear wheel and if you say Honda 919, you loose a testicle!! thats a warmed over European hornet with assinine pipes location

kaeptn-nemo 10-23-2001 11:33 AM

As Cagiva told me the contract between Suzuki and Cagiva explicitly prohibits sale of Suzuki-powered Cagivas in the US. I happen to drive a Cagiva Navigator here in Europe and would really like to take this bike to the US where I will be living for the next few years. But as long as I have to pay the EPA testing fee ($8,000 in CA, I'm told) the Navi will be staying here.
I drove the Navi on a street racing circuit (the Nuerburgring) in a group with a CBR 900, a TRX 850 and a Duc 996 and didn't have any problems keeping up with the pack. I can assure you - you're really missing a great bike.
I sincerely hope the Suzuki will - at least motor-wise - be able to replace my Navi.
Design-wise: NO WAY!! (Just compare the passenger handles and baggage holding plate)

schipwreck 10-24-2001 07:59 PM

Re: GSX 1400 ...just saw pictures of Boost King!!!

Honda 919.

[AAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!]

BigGit 10-26-2001 05:22 PM

Re: GSX 1400 ...just saw pictures of Boost King!!!

I am BigGit's sister and I say Honda 919. What do I lose?