Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Suzuki News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   New Suzuki V-Strom coming to America (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=880)

Z-Rod 10-16-2001 11:42 AM

Screw the V-storm I WANT THE GSX-1400 THUG !

These are cool but the one I want is the GSX 1400. This super standard uses a bored out Bandit engine with a more high end and retro styling than the current Bandit line. It's reviewed in Performance Bike and Ride this month. It's got a giant 190 section rear tire and a six speed box (finally, on a standard). It looks ready to kick ass and take names. Suzuki, unlike Yamaha, has a good record of bringing their models to the USA, often a year later to account for obligatory EPA torture sessions. Also the bike is EFI equiped.

Here is a link: http://www.edicom.ch/autos/moto/fiches/fsuzukgsx14.html

Gixxerboy 10-16-2001 02:02 PM

Re: New Suzuki V-Strom coming to America

I really don't get it. I test rode the TLS and thought it was a great motor with typical Suzuki ergo's... race only. I then rode a VTR For a month... nice bike but kinda underpowered and had a strange 'unplanted' feel to the front end... I didn't feel I could really trust it.

Why couldn't Suzuki raise the bars move footpegs down then kick VTR butt - more power, more range equal comfort all for almost not tooling changes.

ah well.

Gixxerboy 10-16-2001 02:12 PM

Re: Screw the V-storm I WANT THE GSX-1400 THUG !

Hmmm, nifty. I like it but it kinda reminds me of the ole CB750/900/1100 bikes.

I suppose I'd rather have the old bandit styling as it certainly was different - new and fresh on that sort of bike. Maybe if they had SVish fairing on the 1400 that would be cool!

Knightrider 10-17-2001 01:40 AM

Someone else did that and was real happy with the results after they reworked the rear suspension. Wish I could remember where I read about it, it looked good in the pictures I saw.

CBRunner 10-17-2001 03:13 AM

I am going to have to agree with you on this. The TLS is an awesome bike with great lines, great power and I personally love the Suzuki blue. My problem with this bike is that given it's "unruly" nature and it's "in your face" power, the riding postion should have been more user friendly. If I wanted to ride a GSX-R 100o or a TL1000R everyday, I would have purchased one of those. I was under the impression that the TL1000S was for the everyday rider/commuter who loves Ducati-like V-twin power as well as excellent handling for canyon scratching. While the bike is fast and agile, it was very uncomfortable. Your ideas regarding improvements would have made this bike "King-of-the-Hill" with todays v-twin riders.

V4Daddo 10-18-2001 07:17 AM

I've been looking for the TL/SV owners site at Yahoo with little luck so far. Any hints out there for the internet neophyte? I'm absolutely stuck between a VFR (2001), the VTR 1000 and the TL1000S. I've heard little that is bad about the VFR, and seen mixed reviews about the TL and VTR. I like the idea of the 1000 twin a lot, but somebody was saying the much loved(?)TL engine is a joke. Is the TL really as demanding and menacing as it is reported to be? The VTR is milder ,but it seems to have lots of guts when you want it. Any other bikes (god forbid, when I think of the countless test drives and reading I've done) that I should be thinking of? Any help from you fellow motorcycle fiends would be much appreciated.

Lestat 10-18-2001 01:51 PM

I've had 2 TLS models. First was laid to rest in a head on collision with a Cadillac. Lot's of miles and NO problems with either. 3 friends have TLS models. NO problems. 2 friends with TLR's, NO problems. The 97 had a few small glitches but nothing serious. E-mail me if you want more info. FIST_OF_FURY@hotmail.com

Lestat 10-18-2001 01:59 PM

Re: SV1000S available at your dealer!!!

And what bike prevented Honda from making a Hawk GT all those years that the SV650 didn't even exist? And exactly what was the screw up with the TL1000s? I've had 2 now and can't recall a single problem with either, ever. A Super Hawk is a great bike. Just don't test ride one back to back with a bike that actually isn't boring to ride.

Lateshow321 10-19-2001 08:19 AM

Where is the SV1000 ??

Where is the SV1000?? We've heard about the possibility of one for two years now. With the growing popularity of naked bikes, why isn't anyone selling a naked standard in a V-Twin litre motor config.???

Both the Bandit and the new 919 would be infinitely more fun with a V-Twin motor. The SV 650 is a hoot to ride...I should know, I have one. I'm 37 years old and have always loved naked standards. I even rode a CB1000 for two years. What a pig that bike was. I rode a friends SV and promptly sold the CB and bought an SV. NOW i want one with more power. When comparing an inline four to a V-Twin in ridability, there's no chance for the four. The V-twin is so much more fun to ride because you don't have to wind it up to get to the power.

NO I don't want a Ducati!! I love the reliability and value of JAP bikes. Can't one of the four bring out a naked V-Twin hooligan's bike???

TLS and Superhawk have riding postions of bullet bikes...

and here is the nugget of truth none of the jap brands seems to know.

"There is an aging demographic of 35 to 45 years olds who want street performance combined with a relaxed riding position...so we can ride it for more than an hour without sore wrists and backs"

Please Please Please hear us and build a Hawk GT 996 or SV 1000!

Lateshow321 10-19-2001 08:32 AM

Wher is the SV1000..The world needs V-Twins, not more fours

Where is the SV1000?? We've heard about the possibility of one for two years now. With the growing popularity of naked bikes, why isn't anyone selling a naked standard in a V-Twin litre motor config.???

Both the Bandit and the new 919 would be infinitely more fun with a V-Twin motor. The SV 650 is a hoot to ride...I should know, I have one. I'm 37 years old and have always loved naked standards. I even rode a CB1000 for two years. What a pig that bike was. I rode a friends SV and promptly sold the CB and bought an SV. NOW i want one with more power. When comparing an inline four to a V-Twin in ridability, there's no chance for the four. The V-twin is so much more fun to ride because you don't have to wind it up to get to the power.

NO I don't want a Ducati!! I love the reliability and value of JAP bikes. Can't one of the four bring out a naked V-Twin hooligan's bike???

TLS and Superhawk have riding postions of bullet bikes...

and here is the nugget of truth none of the jap brands seems to know.

"There is an aging demographic of 35 to 45 years olds who want street performance combined with a relaxed riding position...so we can ride it for more than an hour without sore wrists and backs"

Please Please Please hear us and build a Hawk GT 996 or SV 1000!