Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 10-11-2001, 04:46 AM   #111
MNRon
Founding Member

Default Re: New Suzuki V-Strom coming to America

I was holding out to see if they would have an SV1000. I suppose it would have directly competed with the Bandit, but so does the SV650 with the 600 Bandit. I don't think the Strom with compete in our market, but the SV version could have. Oh well, I guess it's either an SV650 or a 919...
MNRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2001, 06:05 AM   #112
crouchingtiger
Founding Member

If you really want a SV1000. Instead of buying a VStrom, you could by a used TL1000S for around $6000. take off the fairing , order a round headlight from a Buell, Put on some Handle bars. Order throttle cable,clutch cable and brake lines from the new VStrom, put it together and you have a SV1000. With the money leftover you could buy a used KLR650. I think I might do this!
crouchingtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 06:48 AM   #113
crouchingtiger
Founding Member

If you really want a SV1000. Instead of buying a VStrom, you could buy a used TL1000S for around $6000. take off the fairing , order a round headlight from a Buell, Put on some Handle bars. Order throttle cable,clutch cable and brake lines from the new VStrom,Get a comfy seat made by Sargent, put it together and you have a SV1000. With the money leftover you could buy a used KLR650. hmmm, I think I might do this!
crouchingtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 08:00 AM   #114
giraffe703
Founding Member

The biggest question I have now is: buy a Tiger NOW or WAIT for the V-Strom. The DL has IMO many pros over the Tiger. Can I wait 5 months? I hope it comes with the 19" front wheel and an optional SHORTER wind-screen. Many medium-sized wind-screens just aim turbulence AT my head. I prefer my Arai to be in clean air--perfect! A top-case/backress for stuff/passenger are a must. I'm glad Suzuki bit the bullet and decided to offer such a bike! Cool name too!
giraffe703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 09:04 AM   #115
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default Re: Scrambler pipes--can be done, has been done

Cool --those look to be custom one-off pipes not something anybody can order from an aftermarket warehouse and bolt on. If you employ customizers or DIY and are determined enough, you can have anything you want. I'm sure before it's all over somebody will take a W-650 and make it into an Easy Rider-style chopper, thus going full circle!
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 09:41 AM   #116
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Anyone notice

I wouldn't worry about it--most cruisers also put the passenger's knees near the rider's kidneys. But the passenger's knees go _outside_ of the rider's body, so you won't be peeing blood after hitting a pothole.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 09:49 AM   #117
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Scrambler pipes--can be done, has been done

True, true. But if you pick up a leftover 2000 or 2001 (plenty out there) for, say, $5500, you've still got $2500 to fool around before you even hit the cost of an F650; $3500 before the V-Strom. Custom one-off pipes can't be cheap, but they can't be _that_ expensive either--especially if you're avoiding modern high-tech materials like titanium and carbon fiber.

Easy rider chopper? Sure, I'm sure its coming in somebody's scheming mind What I'm waiting for is somebody to give a W650 a new fairing, bars, and seat and make it look like a 60's GP bike.
Old 10-11-2001, 09:55 AM   #118
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Wait for V-Strom...

...because the Tiger has stripes painted on the tank and eyebrows painted over the twin round headlamps. Ick. Could YOU deal with a bike like that?

It'd be different if they dropped the stripes and eyebrows and painted a toothy mouth on it, WWII airplane style.
Old 10-11-2001, 10:57 AM   #119
SilverBullet
Founding Member

The new Tiger will probably have the 120hp engine that will power the Speed Triple and Sprint, so just wait about a month, go to your Triumph dealer and take the Tiger on a test ride. The Trumpet has interesting styling and will probably handle better than the Suzuki (plus more power quite possibly).

Then decide.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2001, 12:18 PM   #120
slowburner_1
Founding Member

Default Suzuki GSX750FW

Will the GSX750FW be sold in the U.S.A.?
slowburner_1 is offline   Reply With Quote