Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 10-09-2001, 04:56 PM   #91
Gecko
Founding Member

Default Re: New Suzuki V-Strom coming to America

OK, personally I'd rather have the Duc motor but from an endurance standpoint the Suzuki is likely better. anything that can be done to a Duc could be done to the GC.
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2001, 04:59 PM   #92
FrankS1
Founding Member

Just don't try to put anything stiffer than day old underwear in the optional hard bags. They'll have to have to have a tunnel to clear the stupidly placed imitation Ducati high exhaust. That location might have looked cool on a 916, but somebody ought to tell the styling department at Suzuki that the marketing department wanted to hang a day's supply of baggage on the bike.

Or will the styling department hang the hard bags UNDER the exhaust??
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 04:59 PM   #93
Gecko
Founding Member

Default Anyone notice

No Passenger foot pegs. Granted I removed mine but a bike this big and it has none stock???? strange
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 05:09 PM   #94
FrankS1
Founding Member

Well, I've got an R1100GS which does the adventure bit perfectly well for me (I can live without the extra 150 cc and the overdrive 6th gear and the extra headlamp bulb). And I have full size hard bags. Trying to make a 3 week trip with whatever bags they'd be able to fit onto the new Suzook would be too much an adventure in dirty underwear and folding toothbrush for me! The new Suzuki would be an interesting competitor if they put the pipes in a sensible place, or made it into an SV1000 sport tourer, but it is aimed in the wrong direction.
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 05:35 PM   #95
sracer2000
Founding Member

Default Re: extra $300

In the U.S. it will cost you $250 extra to get the Movistar scheme - just in time to see the number one plate go elsewhere (probably to Rossi). Nice try, Suzuki, but you're a year too late. I don't think the scheme costs extra in the U.K., but Suzuki U.K. has not listed the 2002 models yet.
sracer2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 05:59 PM   #96
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Impractical features on a dual-sport

The Aprilia Pegaso has got twin headlights and a fancy fairing (like the V-Strom); the F650GS and the CapoNord have twin under-the-tail exhaust. So Suzuki isn't the only one doing things this way with their dual-sports.

Since most adventurer-touring riders don't actually leave pavement, it's nice to have something prettier than a Mad Max type bike. I personally like the looks of the "polished" dual-sports like the F650GS, Pegaso, and CapoNord. For those who _do_ do things the rugged way and want to look the part, there's always the R1150GS, the Quota, and the KLR650.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 06:42 PM   #97
Arch
Founding Member

Nothing against the Tiger bro, neat scoots, but later Gran Canyons came with TL lumps and are still languishing on a few sales floors for great prices. Also, don't dismiss the 2V Ducati powered ones as the motors can easily be dialed in nicely and time honored/reliable upgrades abound. BTDT.

Best regards,

Archie R.

Katy, TX

http://arch.home.texas.net/
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 07:34 PM   #98
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default Re: Impractical features on a dual-sport

In my not-so-popular opinion, the R1150GS is one of the best looking bikes out there. I happen to preferr the Mad-Max look in both street and DP bikes. (We have been responding to each other quite frequently so you probably know my style by now)

I do agree with you in that most people will never leave the pavement with this bike (Hell, at 9k, I would have a hard time thrashing it!) so the polished look will be the more popular choice. I just think that it could have been executed a bit better.

FYI, to me the best looking bkes are:

KTM 640 Adventure P-D

R1150GS

Ducati Monster

Triumph speed triple

Kawasaki ZRX1200R (My scoot)

-All freinkensteins, but that is why I love them. Ugly in a refined sense
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 08:41 PM   #99
crouchingtiger
Founding Member

My local dealer [ducati,triumph,cagiva]did not have Gran Canyons with TL motors.And I really had a tuff time deciding between the GC and the Tiger. I love the Duc motor, Ive had an SS/SP and a Monster in the past. But both of those bikes are lighter. The dealer gave me a good deal on the Tiger and threw in the off road exhaust, so instead of spending another 2 grand on exhaust and mods on the GC I decided to try the British triple. But sometimes I still wonder if I should of gone with the GC.
crouchingtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 02:02 AM   #100
crouchingtiger
Founding Member

Default Re: Anyone notice

It look's like there are passenger pegs folded up, about halfway up the exhaust pipe.
crouchingtiger is offline   Reply With Quote