Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 04-14-2007, 10:34 AM   #41
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Re: starter bikes

The motors are, in fact, chinese. the assembly of the bikes is quality controlled by JR and his employees. Interstate Star (one of the largest aftermarket warranty companies in the USA) found the bike quality to be good enough for a 2 yr warranty. Most of the parts come right out of Parts Unlimited and other US sources.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #42
mitctho
Registered Member

Sure. However, it is misleading to apply the label "US Made" to something assembled in China of mixed origin parts under 'supervision' of a few US employees.
mitctho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #43
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: Starter Bikes

MSF course in N. Florida using a Virago 250? Would that be Jax, FL I was riding an 1100 Virago at the time but rode the 250 for MSF class. It was a blast snatching that thing thru the class turns, and it stopped on a dime at those speeds. LOL
Old 04-14-2007, 05:40 PM   #44
lampell
Registered Member

My wife is 5 2 and started out on the Savage. Much better than the 250 Ninja which she also had. She has also owned a 883 Hugger and a 750 Monster. Her latest bike which so far is the one she likes the best is the Kawasaki 500 Vulcan which has also been made for 20 years. The bike does not look like a toy, has a smooth parallel twin motor and is bulletproof. Other than ego your wife will not outgrow it. Handles pretty well for a cruiser.
lampell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #45
pplassm
Founding Member

Dual-sports are ugly?

Please don't tell my DRZ400 that!
Old 04-14-2007, 09:53 PM   #46
Flickmeister
Registered Member

If it were my wife, I'd recommend a standard SV650. The only problem may be the seat height if she feels being flat-footed is necessary when stopped. If the cruiser type is a requirement, someone suggested the Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD. A new one retails for $5000. Used should be lots cheaper. This bike would allow more room to grow than the S40 or the 250's. If it's a reasonably priced cruiser style for a new rider, you can't do a whole lot better than the Vulcan 500.
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:34 AM   #47
fumanchu
Founding Member

src="http://members.chello.at/fumanchu/sitefolder/bandito1_small.jpg">

make sure to get her a lowering linkage
Old 04-15-2007, 04:35 AM   #48
fumanchu
Founding Member

no image tags on MO? even if they're hosted on a private server? bah.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:50 AM   #49
hilodik
Registered Member

Did the same as pplassm, bought the wife a Buell Blast, taught her how to ride. She dumped it twice in five miles and I said, "that's enough of that." Drove the Blast for the next year and then sold it. Now she rides on the back - quite contented to do that.
hilodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:27 AM   #50
pudlepirate
Registered Member

I'd buy new, might cost a couple of houndred more, but with as solid as the beginer bike market seems to be I would bet you are not going to save much money buying used. besides, you get a waranty, brand new tires brakes oil, batery, clean carbs etc and your wife can put all her own personal customizations to it. (crash scars) Then you can sell it at a few houndred dollar loss.. but hey I Don't know anything about your situation, are you mechanicle inclined? not paying the bike shop 80$ an hour for service could really break my argument. and you may be able to get a used bike for significantly less than I could in ct.
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote