Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 04-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #31
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Starter Bikes

Congratulations cool to hear about spouses getting into motorcycling. I think I am going to go out and buy a bike for my wife. She is too frugal to buy it for herself. If I was going to do that I would seriously look at used bike. My wife is natural athlete and is 5'9" so I think she would think the Rebel to be too small and she would grow out of it quickly I would probably look at bigger bike with a friendly power delivery the SV 650 Suzuki comes to mind even a HD Sportster 883.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #32
SprintSTer
Registered Member

If your wife is tall enough, why not consider some type of dual sport? Really, I don't know why more people don't start out on dual sports. Yeah, they're ugly, but there's a certain beauty in that. If you drop a dual sport, as long as it still functions, a few scratches or dings don't make it look any worse. I started out on an EX500 then upraded to a Triumph Sprint ST, which I still have. Last year, I got a used KLR650 for pocket change and have loved every minute of it. I ride it as often, if not more than, the Triumph. And there's been practically no limit to where I ride it, too. From the interstate to forest trails to a motocross track (a bit of an ask, but do-able for an idiot like me). If your wife wouldn't find the size of the KLR intimidating, it's really a decent bike to start on and one that could keep her happy for years. If it's too big, there are some smaller dual sports that would share many of the positive qualities of the KLR.
SprintSTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #33
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: starter bikes

Excellent Post. I agree...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #34
bikerlarry
Registered Member

Buy a small used bike to start. My wife took the MSF safety course with the intention of getting her own bike.When all was said and done she decied that she was content being a passenger. She didn't think she had what it takes to pay attention 110% of the time which is what it take to ride a motorcycle on the street aroun the cage driving morons.Please make sure she understands this before you buy her a bike.A dumb ass That I know bought his wife a brand new shadow 600. She wrecked it in a solo accident within 5 miles' doing severe bodily injuries to herself. She took the same MSF course as my wife. My wife was "hell on wheels" on a dirt bike when we were young.
bikerlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #35
HighsideHarry
Founding Member

What......? Another, "What Starter Bike Should I Buy" thread? I mean, is that all this site is worth, letting people debate if Joe Newbie should buy an R1 or a Honda 250?

Or is this just some cheap way to divert subscribers from realizing that there's not much content on this site anymore?

Oh yeah, and how much longer are we going to have to stare at the "featured" BMW every time we log on?
HighsideHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:51 PM   #36
elranchero
Registered Member

I had my Kawasaki KLR650 in for service at the local dealer one day. Parked out back, waiting alongside a bunch of other bikes for service was a suzuki savage. I asked one of the mechanics what he thought about the Savage and he didn't have anything good to say about it.

I still like the looks of it, but it'd be way too small for me.
elranchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:23 AM   #37
maxriderdon
Founding Member

rbrewer, You provided no other info about your wife other than she is a newbie. Age, physical dimensions, and conditions, likes (sport, cruiser, dual sport, etc...) and dislikes would help narrow down a bike appropriate for your wife. That said all I can tell you is don't buy a new Virago, or Rebel, as there are too many barely used, low mileage ones out there, you could easily save a grand on one. I disagree with the recommenced SV650, as while they are light weight, they are just too responsive for a newbie.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:40 AM   #38
bowtydaddy
Registered Member

Yamaha Virago 250. V twin, low seat, decent power. Used in the MSF courses here in north Florida and inexpensive to boot.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:58 AM   #39
mitctho
Registered Member

Default Re: starter bikes

Johnny Pag low cc Bikes are made in Wenzhou China. Sez so right on their website http://www.johnnypag.com/index.html.
mitctho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #40
hayser
Founding Member

The only problem with the S40 is the clutch. My friend purchased one for his wife after taking the safety course and she was intimidated by the torque and being a single lunger how it was not as smooth as a twin. Kymco and Hyosung also produce decent 250's although they are not made from the big four. Of the big four , I believe the yamaha virago and the kawasaki ninja are the best choices. I would consider used because she will outgrow it but it will start her on a good footing.

hayser is offline   Reply With Quote