Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 04-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #21
crevans
Founding Member

Default Re: starter bikes

I had a Silverwing for 2 and half years. Easiest to ride bike I ever owned. Extremely comfortable, plenty of storage (if she carries a purse, she'll love it), good mileage, better handling and braking than most cruisers, and plenty quick enough for n00b. The CVT will let her focus on taking the right lines and paying attention to traffic and obstacles instead of picking the right gear. It's extremely easy to handle at low speeds and has an incredible low center of gravity. It'll hold 75 to 80 mph on the freeway without sweating and still has plenty enough pull at those speeds to keep you out of trouble. It can handle twisties better than a cruiser - if I had to guess, you have about 40 degrees of lean before you start dragging the exhaust on the right side and probably 45 before you scrape the floor board on the left. Tires last about 15000 miles in the front and about 12000 on the rear and are quite a bit cheaper than most motorcycle tires.

It also tours very well. Excellent comfort and weather protection. In 05, I did a 6500 mile road trip in 8 days and wasn't too sore when I got back. Never had a mechanical problem and I didn't even change the oil. It seems to run happily on neglect. Highly recommended for a newbie.

The only real downside are a 150 mile range. After about 700 miles in a day, the seat starts to feel like an overstuffed marshmellow and creates a few pressure points. The suspension tends to wallow at higher speeds, and it can feel a little nervous north of 85-90 mph. It's also only adjustable for preload, and that, only in the rear.
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #22
dmpereira
Founding Member

Default Re: Starter Bikes

My wife did the same thing and ended up with the Virago 250. Unfortunately, she lost interest in riding so I've got a pretty mint 250 with 500 miles on it sitting in the garage. Maybe we can work a deal :0)
dmpereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #23
abenormal
Founding Member

<blockquote>A 650 is too big for a starter bike, no matter how inexpensive.<blockquote>

Um, he's talking about an underpowered 650 single in a cruiser chassis. Now I'm usually the first to shout "too much power! too much weight!" at the noobs when they look at the 600 supersports, but in this case it's actually a good choice for a first bike.
abenormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #24
SRMark
Founding Member

Get her an Aprillia RS 250. A good used one will cost you your left nut. But, she'll be so busy terrorizing her riding buddies, she'll leave you alone to ride with your riding buddies.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #25
obandoj
Founding Member

You can allways get a cute girlfriend if you have a pocket full of cash
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #26
obandoj
Founding Member

Let us cut to the chase (reality) Get her a small used bike, that way the learning curve will be less steep, the chances of her becoming one of "us" (perish the thought) will be much better, the initial investment small, and the inevitable crashes cheap to fix (it will happen) and if she gets the hang of it and decides that she wants a newer, bigger bike, the initial experience will be the deciding factor rather than a premature hare-brained one.

There, I knew I should have been a marriage counselor

obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #27
tripletango
Founding Member

Moto Guzzi Breva 750. Perfect bike for starters. Stylish, frugal, handles superbly. All touring accessories available including a lower seat if necessary. Fast enough to run with a HD.
tripletango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #28
NLJ
Founding Member

I met a guy who owned a Road King that tore some ligaments in his ankle pretty badly that required surgery. During his recovery he wanted to ride but was afraid of all the weight of the dressed Road King. He picked up an S40 to ride till his ankle was 100%. Now 2 years later the Road King stays parked more often than not. He loves the thing.

Not sure i would feel the same but...
NLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #29
SherpaSuper
Founding Member

I highly recommend the Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 250cc dual purpose bike. She will probably learn on something similar. I thought I would outgrow mine, but I still love it. 80mpg, go anywhere, great low speed manuverability, low seat height... like a mountain bike with a motor.
SherpaSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #30
ray_stone
Registered Member

I started riding on a 800 intruder, CC's doesn't mean its not appropriate for a beginner, other factors can mean more. before I got the 800 I almost bought a Savage, but being that wherever I want to ride here mens at least 20 mins of 70mph speeds (or you get ran off the road), I went with something capable of that speed.

That said, I'd look at the 500 ninja or 500 Vulcan, depending if she likes the Cruiser or Sportbike style better, either would be great for starting out.
ray_stone is offline   Reply With Quote