Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 05-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #51
rmdower
Founding Member

Default Re: You think they could be a Buell though?

I test drove a Buell Firebolt last week. It felt like they stuffed a HD engine in a sportbike frame. Weird!
rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #52
BikerJC
Founding Member

Default Re: End of The Road for The Katana.

How dare you all call it a jelly bean -

It is obviously styled after a tea cozy. With headlamps taken from a Manga comic character or something equally dorky.

The first and last Kat I rode was an 89 600F... That is an experience I would like to forget. It turned me off completely, I never straddled another GSXF after that and I don't intend to.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a REAL Katana - namely the shark-nosed 1100, not the more recent POS.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:50 PM   #53
BikerJC
Founding Member

Default Re: You think they could be a Buell though?

http://www.kolumbus.fi/marko.virtala/kuvat/tfti.jpg

Whoa, my laptop is overheating from all this hot air.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:26 PM   #54
schizuki
Founding Member

I wish they'd bring back the RF600 and RF900. They looked like two-wheeled Testarossas.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:58 PM   #55
LC1
Founding Member

Wow! There are a lot of Katana haters out there, huh? I personally have never owned one but a friend had a 2001 750 for a while. I rode that bike back to back with another friend's VFR800 and I have to say that a lot of people are missing out on a great sport-touring mount by not looking at a Katana 750. I personally prefer it to the VFR and it is a lot less $$$$. I hate to see it go. They really are great motorcycles.
LC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:00 PM   #56
dorkcore
Founding Member

You say dorky like it's something bad... and quit referring to things as gay as the Katana and Manga as "dorky"
dorkcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:00 PM   #57
LC1
Founding Member

I had a RF900 for a while. It was a decent sport-tourer, but it needed a sixth gear. Now, the GSXR1100 had enough steam to manage with just 5 gears, but I was always hunting for the proper gear in the hills on the RF900. It was a beautiful bike, though.
LC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:35 AM   #58
bikervince
Founding Member

I thought the newer ones were pretty decent looking bikes. Not cutting edge sport bikes but certainly more capable the 99% of the riding population anyways.

I owned a 1990 Katana 1100 with the power windsheild. Great motor - bullet proof and it would leave my buddy's ZX-10 for dead in top-gear roll-on. Problem was, it was supposed to be a sprort-tourer. It didn't have much range (140mi. per tank), it only had a 5-speed tranny and was geared too low (which explains the great roll-on performance), had no helmet lock or place to store anything on it, and the power windsheild only moved up and down a couple of inches so it wasn't very effective. Too bad, with some minor changes it could've been a great bike.

BikerVince
bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:02 AM   #59
MPN76VFR
Founding Member

There is a new 2 wheeled Testarossa in town...The ZX-14. yuck! like a bad joke or someone growing a late 80s "camaro mullet" for fun...a bad idea! lose those fins!!!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 08:15 AM   #60
MPN76VFR
Founding Member

So long Katana! You lasted WAAAY longer than you should have. But I will personally thank you for spawning the ultimate GSX, the Hayabusa! Amazing that this bike is in its 8th year of production, has received relatively ZERO major updating, but still outhandles the supposed "New King" ZX-14 in the latest MO test!! Sharpen up the body lines, address the VERY few gripes about seating, ergos, gearbox, etc. and a simple bore over to a true 1400 with some cam/timing tweaks from the suzuki masterminds and there is NO question the ZX-14 will be toppled in short order!! enjoy your time at the top Kawi, cuz its not gonna last nearly as long as suzukis reign from 99 to 05!!