Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 10-07-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
rmdower
Founding Member

Default Re: Big-Inch Suzuki Roars Onto the Boulevard

First Post...Isn't that one ugly head lamp?
rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
rmdower
Founding Member

Could somebody answer a engineering question for me please without denigrating my education and breeding for having the temerity to ask?

Why do crusiers have to keep growing in engine size to become more powerful while sportsbike engines continue to develop more power within a more constrained size framework?
rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
zarn02
Founding Member

from my know-nothing standpoint, i would say it's merely a reflection of the current american craving more greater engine size in our motorcycles, having nothing to do with thoughtful engine design
zarn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:22 PM   #4
zarn02
Founding Member

(and go ahead and stick a 'for' inbetween 'craving' and 'more'.)
zarn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
madkraut
Founding Member

It couldn't possibly be that people enthralled by this current trend in motorcycles are trying to make-up for other, umm....

Shortcomings.

My question is, why would you want a performance "cruiser" when you can have a sportbike that weighs half as much and handles twice as good? It's like wanting an apple, but you want it to taste like an orange.
madkraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:47 PM   #6
staff
Registered Member

There's no replacement for displacement!

That old adage is true, in cruiserland, or if it's torque you seek -- while torque gains have obviously been made in modern sportbikes, if you want _a lot_ more torque at very lower and lower (relative) rpms, that's really hard to do on pump gas without increasing displacement.

Conversely, if you want to make a lot more horsepower out of a given displacement, spin it higher -- that is, the same torque at a higher rpm equals more horsepower. This was the original impetus for Ducati's Desmo system -- basically a cam follower to open (like a regular engine) _and_ close the valve. Thus, no springs to break at high rpm, which used to be a big limiting factor. As metalurgy has advanced, this is less of a problem -- both because valves are lighter and the springs are better.

Modern F1 cars use pnuematic "springs" -- compressed air -- to close the valve. Tre cool.

Hope that helps...
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:41 PM   #7
designeraccd
Founding Member

aahhh the good ol USofA infatuation with bigger=better. Lets all go buy more SilleeUghleeVeehicles, too.

Actually the bike appears pretty fresh looking in the pics, Suzuki obviously let their designers get creative as opposed to another second rate psuedo-hardlee clone. The headlight is..uh, "different" but sure goes with the integrated styling theme of the bike.

As an Industrial Designer, from the pics I find the bike rather appealing....visually. Would I trade my beloved 1200R for it...nope. Conversly my recently ordered FJR 1300A will easily out everything this Suzuki dynamically...but lotsa people do like this type of bike. Must give Suzook credit for at least creating a well integrated, distinctive looking package. DFO
Old 10-08-2005, 01:29 AM   #8
Agent0090
Founding Member

The new M109R: a bike as beautiful as its name.
Agent0090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 02:22 AM   #9
Chango
Founding Member

Default I wish to make a complaint...

I have really enjoyed both Suzukis I have owned so far. The 2001 Bandit 600 was a fantastic beginning bike for me, and I really enjoy taking the GSX-R600 to the track. Both of these bikes have filled their design goals, as far as I'm concerned. But, having only a bike for transportation causes me to occassionally want something other than a 600 supersport, at least for getting around town. And the '06 will be even smaller!

Now for my complaint: Why the freak do we get another massive cruiser here in the USA while in Europe Suzuki is selling the bike I would buy in a heartbeat? Seriously, if Suzuki brought the GSR600 over here I would sell the GSXR today. It looks to me like the GSR is what the Bandit was back in 1995: a comfy, fast, comfy, practical, comfy, great all-rounder, comfy, fun, comfy bike. Here's a sortof link, since I can't remember how to do it correctly...

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/model.asp?id=108

Of course, Yossef will probably get to ride one (lucky guy), and if he says it handles anything at all like a good bike, I guess I'll have to look into actually getting one imported, or something.

Daggum Suzuki...
Old 10-08-2005, 02:24 AM   #10
smithrob75
Founding Member

It sounds like an old firecracker my dad told me about. He said you could throw it in the pond and fish would come floating up.