Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 08-19-2005, 02:10 PM   #31
rmdower
Founding Member

Default Re: Hyabusa-Great Touring Bike

Actually, it is funny you mention it. I bought my Busa at a dealer who sells Triumph also. I told him I was primarily looking at the Busa as a sport touring bike. He suggested I would enjoy the Daytona 955i.I already have an 03 R1, so I did't think I was interested in the Daytona. I was going on a trip to Vegas from SoCal, and wanted to buy a sport touring bike. I was heavily influenced by this website:

http://www.pashnit.com/hayabusa-mods.htm

So, I bought the Busa and took it to Vegas after breaking it in.

Opinion:

1) I am 5'6" tall, so the bike can be a little unwieldy in the handling department compared to a lighter more nimble bike.

2) The bike can be ridden in what I like to think about as sportsbike mode and sport tourer mode. As a tourer, it definitely needs some accessories for comfort. As a sport bike, its probably one of the most dangerous bikes out there, but what a friggin blast if you got the skills.

3) Gas mileage sucks in Sportbike mode (high revs), but what a blast especially around 8000 rpm and a nice sound too. In sport tourer mode, it is an acceptable 35-40 mph (6th gear on the highway). The nice thing is that even in sixth gear at 80 mph, the bike still pulls, but you have to account for the lack of stopping power in sticky situations, so either stay out of them or ride in a lower gear.

4) It isnt very comfortable as a sport tourer in stock configuration. There are accessories that can ameliorate this, especially a double bubble or Laminar Lip.

5) Suspension is very comfortable as a Sport Tourer

Personally, I think that the new Triumph Sprint ST 1050 is the bike to look at today as a Sport Tourer that is more in the sportbike genre.

rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2005, 02:17 PM   #32
mrdemma
Founding Member

Wow, so glad you posted this. I'm ready for another bike and I've been thinking a lot about the Busa. I have a ZX-6 which I love and is paid off and I may make a track bike. But I'd also like a Harley (Road King or Electra Glide. Actually the new Street Bob's kinda' cool). And I just found a sweet Ducati 998 with super low miles. Decisions, decisions. Funny you posted this also because I've been going crazy trying to decide what to buy and besides your post, earlier today when I came out of the gym I saw a Busa parked right there on the sidewalk....Pretty sweet. But so's that 998. And Street Bob. Jeez, I'm also gonna' need a pickup to get my Ninja to the track. Where was I? Anyway, thanks!
mrdemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:08 PM   #33
rapier
Founding Member

If I could handle the Busa type riding position I would opt for a last gen ZX9 for my all purpose including touring bike. That's me. If you want the heft, which is a good thing I believe for many aspects of really pounding out some miles then the Busa is a fair choice.

But the riding postiion of the Busa, particularly the pegs is not doable by me. Well not willingly anyway. I opted for a 1200ZZR. Surprisingly close to as fast as the Busa with a much less crouched riding position. On top of that they are cheaper used and insurance is probably less in most cases.

The Blackbird by the way has the too high pegs syndrome as well. Too high for me that is.

MIchigan to Vegas to Montana and then home this year on the ZZR.
rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:26 PM   #34
wwalkersd
Founding Member

One question, Glarepolish: what are your personal dimensions? No, no, not that! I mean height and inseam, primarily. I have a theory that the folks who report sport bikes as comfortable touring rides are rather under 6' tall.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:32 PM   #35
SuperBill
Founding Member

Buy the 'Busa and use it to tow the Ninja to the track!

Problem solved!

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:39 PM   #36
mrdemma
Founding Member

Actually, you did give me a good idea: Buy an Electra-Glide and tow the Ninja. That seems more doable. Nice work.
mrdemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:00 PM   #37
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default INSURANCE for a Hyabusa

What I want to know is what everyone is paying for insurance! I don't want a bike with insurance payments higher then the bike payments.

So how about it Busa owners. What can a 47 year old married man expect to pay a year for insurance?
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:06 PM   #38
eojmo
Founding Member

Seems like a bit of a waste of a Busha,touring ,panniers?Like buying a BMW GS to ride to the mall and back.I guess differant strokes for differant blokes.One thing to remember about the Busha ,if you ride it hard and fast like its ment to be ridden,it can eat out tyres,chains,sprockets and disc pads.It also increases your heart rate and winds back the ageing process.Just hang on and smile!
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:35 PM   #39
RubberPants
Registered Member

I had a 99 Hayabusa and was not impressed! I went many miles but found it to be weird! Then I boughty a ZX12 R Kawasaki the reason seems to be the leg / feet position thing!

Old 08-20-2005, 02:20 AM   #40
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: INSURANCE for a Hyabusa

I'm 47, married, and pay $370 a year