Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 05-25-2005, 10:46 AM   #61
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: 05 GSXR frame problems?

Try this:

http://dictionary.reference.com/translate/text.html

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2005, 10:58 AM   #62
lwatcdr
Founding Member

"Crash forces ripe through the bike finding the weakest point to have an effect. Frame breaks at weld."

Except a weld should not be the weakest point. A weld like a glue joint should be stronger than the surrounding material.

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:29 PM   #63
oleland
Registered Member

I'am not an engineer or a metals expert however the break looks like a typical surface weld break on very thin metal, even a wood glue joint on thin wood will break at the joint almost every time when subjected to stress beyond it's design .I think it will be hard to prove a defective weld when you crash at 100mph .My advice is to buy a Ducati and then the the frame will be destroyed by bending rather than breaking.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:09 PM   #64
yellowduc_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Inquiring Minds Really Blow!

Oh great, MoMONs! Next there will be Monday home race meetings, Then garage priesthood, then.........polygamus motorcycle ownership Whoooo Hooo!
yellowduc_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:05 PM   #65
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Inquiring Minds Really Blow!

LOL don't forget missionary work on mopeds, white half helmets white shirts and black neck ties of course. Then there is the Book of MoMON by the Great Motorcycle Prophet Dare I say more (no better not my wife has me on a short leash probation SA, my remarks must be sincere and respectful the new meds and diet help too.) My praise for SBP, SA, GABE,Fonzie, Ashley, BMW4VW, Buz,Steven etc during my undercover time was real and sincere. MO is great and life is good when you ride and when people give you second, third ... chances...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:28 AM   #66
IceWorm
Registered Member

The fact remains that frames are not supposed to come apart after a crash much less before one. Have we all forgotten the Triumph recall of Daytonas where the factory replaced the whole frame at no cost to the owner because, in certain crash situations, the steering head had a tendency to separate from the frame in head on collisions? No doubt a costly acknowledgement by Triumph that motorcycle frames are suppose to hold together, even in a crash.

IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:43 AM   #67
IceWorm
Registered Member

One more thought. No question the weld connects an extruded member to a cast member. Going from top to bottom look at the last two photos. The last photo is clearly the extruded member, with the supporting rib running the length of the extrusion. The photo before the last is clearly the cast member with a "bulkhead" running across the casting, also the grainy surface is clearly visible in the casting.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:12 AM   #68
porschennighthawk
Registered Member

exactly. That weld hasn't penetrated even 1/4th of the way. It's scary to think that you'd have to worry about the welds on a frame. The welds, if done properly, should be the strongest piece. Evidently, this particular weld, was not.
porschennighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:16 AM   #69
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Aluminum versus steel

I can't speak to absolute strength of frames, but aluminum is a brittle metal, meaning that it is more likely to crack from vibration than a more ductile metal, like steel. Aluminum frames are stiff, with less flex than steel frames.

True, you get more strength per pound from aluminum, but that strength is possibly a trade off for longevity when compared to steel. After all, no matter how well damped, there will be vibration on a motorcycle. This question seems to be one that no one wants to address as they chase the all important factors of light weight and low cost. Steel trellis frames are expensive to manufacture, but very light weight compared to other methods of building a frame out of steel. (Check out the dry weight, and price, of a Ducati 1000DS.)

All I can say is that I have never seen a frame failure on a Ducati, other than those caused by impact with large, stationary objects. Even twenty year old Ducs have good frames. I do know that Ducati "tunes" the flex for their frames. Some mechanics also claim that male slider forks are too stiff for use with frames that have no flex, as is inherent in an aluminum frame.

As for controlled fill, Suzuki has the technology. Their literature claims that they use it on the SV frame. So it would surprise me to find that it is not on the GSXR series.

Maybe I'm wrong about all this, but flame away.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:29 AM   #70
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

I kind of agree here. How often do we see a bike's main frame spars crack in two, even in the most brutal, end-over-end catastrophic crash? Sometimes the forks are bent so far backwards that they indent themselves in the radiator, or even snap right off, but the frames aren't supposed to break.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote