Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 05-24-2005, 05:06 AM   #11
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: 05 GSXR frame problems?

Thats the game you play with sportbikes (and cars).

Power to weight to strength to handle the stresses involved with a bike at the limits of performance. Frames can be lightened so much, then you get a flexi-flyer, so you beef it up some. Then you up engine or suspension or tire performance and the frame gets heavier to handle it. Then you have to drop weight to take advantage of the gains, etc...etc...etc...

I'd still lean to the crfash as the source of the failure, until further investigation. Its possible that a flaw in the weld could have been fatigued due to the race stress. Then some frame flex shows up unexpectedly, upsets handling just enough to take the rider by surprise. Bamm, lowside at 100+mph. Crash forces ripe through the bike finding the weakest point to have an effect. Frame breaks at weld.

Its all guess work until investigated.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2005, 05:08 AM   #12
edward44
Founding Member

Oh sure, bike frames always break when the rider loses the front end. MO describes the frame weld as "casted" (sic). I suppose they meant cast. I can't think of any other way to describe their comment other than defensive.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:58 AM   #13
smithrob75
Founding Member

Would it help to use controlled fill like Yamaha has been using for the R series bikes. It seems like if you could avoid welds as much as possible it would be stronger. As well it would look a little smoother.

Makes me wonder too, are the trellis frames like the Ducati and MV stronger than aluminum ?
Old 05-24-2005, 06:20 AM   #14
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

"looks like some rubber cement and some duct tape'll fix er right up."
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:22 AM   #15
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

My roommate's got a 10R, and I don't know what you're talking about......that frame is beefy as all get out.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:13 AM   #16
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Defensive?

(Ok, so this reply is a bit defensive)

Why on earth would MO be defensive about a Suzuki product? I gather you are implying a situation that is influenced by finances on our part, so I'll state for the record: MO has never received money or material support from Suzuki. In the history of MO, how many Suzuki ADs or race bike sponsorships have you seen?

Our comment was written by an experienced welder and engineer, with a successful history of building (non-Suzuki) race bikes. The comment is simply the product of a responsible journalist who is trying to prevent the readers from jumping to too many conclusions before all of the facts are available. -Sean

Old 05-24-2005, 07:14 AM   #17
dylanmo
Founding Member

How about skepticsm?

Wait, never mind. If you can't trust some guy's amateur metallurgical diagnosis on the internets, what can you trust in this crazy world? Obviously MO is covering for someone. follow the money!

dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:16 AM   #18
dylanmo
Founding Member

Default Re: Defensive?

dammit, you beat me. I guess I should have rechecked the thread
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:31 AM   #19
tomk2
Founding Member

If we're talking about Suzuki failures on the track maybe we ought to talk about the '03 and later SV650s that people are blowing the bottom ends out of because of excessive play in the crankshafts?
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:34 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Defensive?

I heard the rider flushed a Koran down the toilet after the crash.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote