Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 01-22-2001, 05:56 PM   #11
YZFboy
Founding Member

Default Re: More 1400 Bandit Rumors

Hey lads

In relation to those pics of the Bandit 1400, it looks to similar to an XJR1300.

Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing but they could go the next step and possibly re-release the Katana shape but with the Busa engine or something along those lines

Just like Kawasaki did with the ZRX1100 and that has been really popular due to its styling amongst other things

)

YZFboy (Yamaha Thunderace 1000)
YZFboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2001, 10:46 PM   #12
jota
Founding Member

No, if you look real close you can see GSX 1400 on the side panel. Hard to tell if this is a bored out 1200 or a 'Busa mill made up to look like an aircooled motor though. Hardly anything really new about it, but probably good fun anyway.
jota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 06:38 AM   #13
bikervince
Founding Member

The FZ1 could use a larger engine?? Geez, how much power do you actually need? I know that more is always better than less but the Yamaha makes about 145HP at the crank. I can't believe anyone would consider that inadequate.
bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 07:36 AM   #14
dirtybmxr
Founding Member

What does a Bandit 1200S go for over there? Retail price in Japan are not necessarily a good comparison to prices in the US. . .
dirtybmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 11:08 AM   #15
stevegrab
Founding Member

If your friends are waiting for the Yamaha FJ1300, it won't be coming to the states or Canada. I was at the motorcycle show in Toronto in early January. A bunch of our group from Cleveland specifically went there to see teh Canadian models/colors, hoping for the FJ. But we didn't find it at Yamaha, and a manufacturer's rep explained that they aren't bringing that model to North America at all.

So you'll have to go to Europe to get an FJ for now.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 11:11 AM   #16
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Why reinvent the wheel?

That's a very good idea. But I think the engine changes (I hate the term detune, I prefer retune) are desired by some people. It is more than the riding position, they may need more power down low, especially if doing any serious touring with lots of luggage or a passenger.

But I would love to have a "touring kit" for my F4. There's been some long rides that I've done where some of the comfort features of that kit would help. But then I'd lose a little of the hard edge.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 12:41 PM   #17
YZFboy
Founding Member

Good to see you share the same view

Here in Australia it would go off if they did it

Katana's now in restored condition get between 5 and 7 thousand dollars on average

I'd definetly trade the Yam in for one of those if they brought them out again!

Bring it on Suziki!!!
YZFboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 02:23 AM   #18
rvfrules
Founding Member

Default You're wrong. It's for real. Jim, signing off in Tokyo...

rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 04:48 AM   #19
ZRXRy
Founding Member

For the torque, you understand. There's a limit to how much torque you can get out of an engine that size. Still, given its lighter weight, it should be quite adequate. Would have been even better if they'd kept the aluminum frame and kept weight down to R1 levels (or a little less, even). Power/weight ratio rules.
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 04:54 AM   #20
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Damn straight! There are those of us who enjoy being able to see the engine on a bike - reminding us why these things are called MOTORcycles. Retro styled (like my ZRX) or not (like the Bandit 1200) I say bring on the new standards. I think of these somewhat heavy large displacements retros as competition for the cruisers, but more useful. Ditto the modern standards, as more usable competition for the sporty bikes.
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote