Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 01-20-2001, 09:37 AM   #1
abhorred
Founding Member

Default Re: Street Test: GSX-R1000

Great, now all you R1 morons can obsolete your manhood extensions that you never learned to ride and get longer ones. Oh goody. Go Moto-wars. Capitalism and marketing at its best. So cool.
abhorred is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2001, 10:06 AM   #2
CADdriver
Founding Member

Great to see these power and handling wars. R1 or GSX-R1000 it doesn't matter, can only use about 25% of the machines' capability on the road anyway. I envy those who can fold themselves up like pretzels and ride these things. Think maybe Suzuki can put that engine in something "real" man can ride and enjoy. Chuck the Bandit's 1200 engine and replace it with the 1000, then I'll be really impressed.
CADdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 10:16 AM   #3
RobGixxer750
Founding Member

Default haha, no offense

The 929 is touted as the worst headshaker that is made by any manufacturer these days. The front end chatter from that bike is horrible from all accounts I have heard, read, seen.

People confuse steering dampers for an easy fix for poor bike geometry. I can't explain it well, so if someone would like to, or better, MO, please do.

Rob
RobGixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 10:16 AM   #4
Bandit1216
Founding Member

It's so easy to jack the B12 engine up into the mid-150rwhp range that there's no need to wish for a different mill/different platform- you can have that bike today for less than the cost of the new Gixxer.

That said, I think the GSXR1000 is a helluva machine; it'll be great fun to see what comes along in 2003 or so to knock it down a spot on the food chain.

Ed

Bandit1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 11:17 AM   #5
miket
Founding Member

I wish the people who not only wouldn't buy this bike, but wouldn't buy any similar bike would push off. Your unfavourable comparisons between this and you brother-in-law's 1978 XL250 reflect on all openclass sportsbikes made in the last ten years. They may be relevant but they're not specific and they add nothing usefull.

Sounds to me like it's time to claim back my ZX-12-R deposit and amble down to my local Suzuki dealer. What did the man say in Idependance Day? "Oh man! I gotta get me one o' these!"
miket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 11:27 AM   #6
Skorpion23
Founding Member

For my money, I'd say that the boys from Hamamatsu are looking to kick some serious ass. Sign me up for the Express Elevator to Depravity.
Skorpion23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 12:34 PM   #7
RobGixxer750
Founding Member

Default No contest

Suzuki comes out on top in a big way. The RC51 makes up for some of it's lower horsepower, with a lot of torque, but not enough to bridge the gap. An RC51 bone stock is around 123 or so rwhp, as opposed to 145-150 rwhp on the gixxer1000.

Rob
RobGixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 01:01 PM   #8
CyberJonesy
Founding Member

Default It doth not bode well!

The Suzuki GSX-R1000 will be undoubtly one of the greatest bikes for Y2K1 but with all the hype put into it's publicity I am quite afraid it will lure the eye of squidish newbies! Oh please may god spare my virgin eyes of seeing one of those marvels wrecked up by the side of the road... especially if it was one of my friends on it! Oh and before I forget someone tells Minime that we know he loves the new gixxer and all but... don't you guys think this kind of wheelieing publicity for suzuki in the middle of downtown is rather heart breaking for us who can't afford to change bikes yet!
CyberJonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 01:04 PM   #9
darkspy
Registered Member

The atmosphere is too calm in here. Anybody wanna take bets on when the sportbike/cruiser wars will begin?

Seriously though, I agree this bike is more than even advanced street riders will be able to use. Of course, I predict it will be a landslide success. To each his own. In 10 years, you KNOW this thing will be considered a beginners bike. The scary thing is not all the people that will buy it new. The really scary thing is all the penniless high school students that will be buying it in 10 years. Problems for another day, I guess.
darkspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 01:12 PM   #10
john
Founding Member

Default Re: haha, no offense

headshake is a consequence of a bike's wheelbase, as well as steering head geometry. i have heard the exact opposite about the 929, everything i have read said that it is very well composed at high speeds. People who screw with the suspension can easily induce massive amounts of headshake by screwing with any bike though.