Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 01-22-2001, 02:53 PM   #81
EnZed
Founding Member

Default Re: Street Test: GSX-R1000

Well... mostly. Up until recently my wife seemed to think *she* was paying for the VFR. Now it's paid off, a few purchases of jewellery using my overtime pay has sweetened her up a little. Now if I could just get her on the back of my bike. Trouble is, she didn't like the VF500FF much (I could tell, because she started pounding on my back when we were "crusing" at 160kmh...). I think a backrest would help (I nearly bought a Moto Guzzi Nevada for that very reason), but it would look way too dorky.
EnZed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2001, 04:15 PM   #82
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Hey! Me too!

I also crashed at T-Hill in turns 1 and 6. (not at the same time, but in the same weekend!) Turn one was my highest-speed crash ever.

But it was a low-side, which are not a big deal at t-hill. I scuffed my leathers and cracked a rib, but I was able to hop right up and was back on the track in an hour.

The high-sides are bad, and although almost any bike can exceed 120 MPH these days, the big-power bikes are much easier to high-side in my opinion. A 120 MPH highside is guaranteed to f*ck you up pretty bad.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 05:01 PM   #83
suzukis-suck
Founding Member

will someone please buy me this bike so I can ride around and ride wheelies in public and get chicks and be a pussie(sic) like all the squids zipper heads who think they can ride this bike
suzukis-suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 08:20 PM   #84
SugarMrPoon
Founding Member

Default Re: It doth not bode well!

that's right - he was simply driving. and there was nothing he could have done to avoid running into the rider.

what - you think the guy went home and didn't think another thought about it?

i didn't say the guy was at fault, obviously he wasn't the one in the wrong lane.

but if it happened to you or me, it would be hard not to feel some sort of responsibility.

i guess i'm thinking more of the emotional impact on the van driver, not the legal ramifications. i thought that was plain in first my post, but oh well.

SugarMrPoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 02:56 AM   #85
RobGixxer750
Founding Member

Default When you design something at the limit...

You gotta realize, most of the probs have been with the 750. Suzi's 750 puts out almost as much horsepower at the rear wheel in 2000 as the litre bikes, and more than some even. When something is pushing the limits like that, probs are gonna happen. Price of being a step ahead I guess, Suzuki took the first leap on the FI bandwagon, took a lot of first leaps, and what do they get for it? Stamp of un-reliability? heh

Just something to think about.

Rob

97 GSX-R 750 running strong
RobGixxer750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 04:13 AM   #86
doohan
Founding Member

Default Re: Off topic--Sorry

Don't forget about Summit in west Virginia. Loudon is a fun track I have run it a few times..very technical track and you can get in trouble there real fast so keep your mind focused. The penguin

guys are great so pay attention to them. Speeds are not that high compared to most tracks but hey if speed is what you want go to a drag strip. Poconos is a fun track too while not nearly as technical...the speed though is hellacious. Take your pick...either way you'll enjoy. Loudon can be very very cold in spring so pack warm! I wish more people would take track school, they don't know what there missing
doohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 04:27 AM   #87
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

You have no sense of humor, do you? I didn't think I'd get anything but laughs for that post, but I guess I'll respond to your reply.

I don't know about "quick" succession of larger bikes. I'd probably have my kids start out on a dirtbike, then something like an EX500, or Bandit 600. Make them ride that for a few years to learn about road conditions, weather, animals, traffic conditions (cell-phone-wielding-suv-driving-idiots), then after they showed me they were capable, an open class bike.

For me, the risk has nothing to do with the fun of riding. It's the feeling of freedom, all the smells and the temperature changes you miss in a car. The added visibility you have, and the feeling of the sun on your body. I like the feeling of power and agility a bike has over a car, and the huge increase in acceleration. I think if you're in it for the risk, I think you're in it for the wrong reasons. I want to ride IN SPITE OF THE RISK, NOT BECAUSE OF IT. Good luck to ya if the risk is your reason, I hope it never bites you.
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 04:35 AM   #88
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Are you Kanadian, by chance? The "Zed" reference (my friends in Missassauga all say it), and the Kph reference lead me to believe so. Glad to see you're having fun (which is the way it's supposed to be), not just trying to buy the biggest penis-extension you can get.
Old 01-23-2001, 05:05 AM   #89
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Wow. Hey, back in the '80's, I used to smoke something else. Then I'd go out on my Schwinn 10-speed and beat all the squids riding their 750 Interceptors up around Lake Isabella, while I was blindfolded, with both hands tied behind my back and.........
Old 01-23-2001, 05:13 AM   #90
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Are you talking about the '84 GS1150? That's the only big 'zuki I can think of with a 16" wheel. And I don't believe Kevin was involved with Suzuki then. Did you mean the 17" wheel the second generation GSXR1100 had? Those 1150's were supposed to be pretty bad handlers.