Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 01-21-2001, 01:01 PM   #31
gsxrjohnny
Founding Member

Default Re: Street Test: GSX-R1000

Well, I don't, 'cause I'm only 5 miles from ACH (which would make Deal's Gap a loooooong ride), and smooth, mega-torque on a planted, 375-pound bike makes for a great tool here - or anywhere else, for that matter.
gsxrjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2001, 02:16 PM   #32
sprintrdr
Founding Member

Default Re: It doth not bode well!

How does the person driving the van feel about sportbikes now.
sprintrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 02:49 PM   #33
floundericiousFL
Founding Member

Default LOL

I like the way that reads....very nice...from anonymous squid...TO anonymous squid
floundericiousFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 03:31 PM   #34
DougW
Founding Member

Who cares? He's too busy enjoying his new one.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 03:42 PM   #35
darkspy
Registered Member

150HP will NEVER be a beginner bike huh? We'll see about that. I bet 10-20 years ago they would have said 100HP will never be considered a beginners bike. The current 600's are nearing that power level while people worldwide proclaim "Great learners bike!" I'm not scared about the "common man" having all that power. What a ridiculous statement. FYI, it's called depreciation. In 10 years these things will be going for $3000 (or the equivalent once inflation is accounted for). Anybody will be able to afford them. Common man? I think not. Inexperience squid? You better be scared. Could be your children...
darkspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 03:44 PM   #36
DougW
Founding Member

My point was he was an experienced rider who made a poor choice at that point in time. It had nothing to do with the bike he was riding, so I tire of all the horror mongers that float to the top each and every year e new sportbike comes out. It's predictable and relentless and it displays an extraordinary type of behavior that some riders have towards others the buy these bikes or migrate to the sport as a result of these bikes. It's not restrained to "online" wisdom. I had the displeasure of listening to these same types who watched at the scene, commenting in their infinite wisdom about the "stupid squid"/"newbie" and how they themselves could never make such a poor judgement. This wandered into comments about how this type of accident will effect their lives, and the poor Van driver(who walked away). This "Hyena" mentallity, of feeding on your own is tiresome. I actually had the leave the scene before they removed his body to avoid planting one of these self absorbed know-it-alls. For me, this behavior is the truly dark side of the sport.
Old 01-21-2001, 03:51 PM   #37
DougW
Founding Member

Interesting, but what do children and cigarettes have to do with sportbikes? I think if you want to smoke or have kids then you should have them. If you want to buy a sportbike then by all means spend your money as you see fit. When I personally see a new rider buy a new 150Hp sportbike and roll it out on the street and just whack the throttle open then you comment will have some meaning, but then the bike would only display a lack of intelligence on that persons part. And I'm sure you would be more comfortable if those who think differently would keep their mouths shut, but do you think that would be the right thing in the long run?
Old 01-21-2001, 06:53 PM   #38
shibby
Founding Member

Default Handling???

When you stated that it handled well with the steering damper....does that mean that there is headshake at speeds....enough to warrant putting a steering damper on?
shibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 08:39 PM   #39
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Thanks for the advice....

Guns are cool. Motorcycles are cool. Both are fun. It is not MO's fault (or anyone else's for that matter) that some people are stupid and kill themselves. If you DON'T buy your kids a gun or two, and they kill somebody the first time they happen across a rifle in their friend's dad's closet, YOU should be held criminally negligent.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 08:44 PM   #40
miket
Founding Member

I'd like to know EXACTLY what big Kev said. You see, Kev was the man at Suzuki when they went from 1047cc to 1134 and put a 16" front wheel on it. They gave him one and he was widely quoted as saying that the thing caused him some concern. Eventually someone asked him to clarify - off the record. He explained the thing was unsafe in a suburban driveway and they didn't pay him enough to ride anything that handled that bad. Now I'm not suggesting the are same this time, I'm just pointing out that vague references to Kev being concerned could mean several things.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote