Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Suzuki News

Old 01-20-2001, 01:20 PM   #11
RRocket
Founding Member

Default Re: Street Test: GSX-R1000

Yep..I agree. Lotsa power. So much, that you can't even use it all on the street. Add to the mix that there really aren't that many experienced riders that can handle that much power. I'll continue to terrorize the R1's and now the GSXR1000 in the twisties with an FZR400...or my XR650R.....
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2001, 02:05 PM   #12
gsxrjohnny
Founding Member

umm... why not?
gsxrjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 02:26 PM   #13
gsxrjohnny
Founding Member

Where, exactly, did you come up with this 25% number? My guess is you got it from the same imaginary place that everyone else who says this every time a new bike comes out and expands the envelope does - out of their ass, which has never regularly sat on such a bike. Go get on a machine with 37 horsepower (25% of 140), 12.5 degrees of lean angle (25% of 50 degrees), some really crappy brakes (with 25% of the stopping power of these), and that weighs 1500 pounds dry - geez, I just described a Harley - and take a ride through your favorite back woods twisties, then come back and tell me you couldn't use any more performance if a bike had it. Will I use every ounce of performance on this bike all the time? No, but I will twist the throttle wide open frequently (using 100% of the torque), and I will use 100% of the braking power it's got, and I will lean that puppy 100% of the way down until stuff scrapes. I plan on using a whole lot more than 25% of this bike's potential.
Old 01-20-2001, 02:36 PM   #14
gsxrjohnny
Founding Member

Default Re: It doth not bode well!

As long as we have the same licensing requirements for everything 250cc and up, and irresponsible magazines like MO glorifying riders like Minime showing how cool it is to do squidly things, the squids will always want to buy the latest and greatest bike they cannot handle. I know the final responsibility for how far the wrist twists lies in the hands of the rider, but I cannot believe MO is promoting this kind of riding in public.

I'm hoping my virgin eyes are spared seeing the lifeless bodies wrecked up by the side of the road of guys that could have lived to be responsible, competent riders if they had started out with better direction.
Old 01-20-2001, 04:01 PM   #15
DougW
Founding Member

Please, would some one kick that soapbox out from under your feet. We minds find a simple cause for things they don't like. Guess what! People have been buying the farm on sportbikes long before Motorcycle Online came along. I have to say the worst thing about a new "sportbike" coming out every other year is the flapping lips of our social conscientious screaming about the impending carnage. If you don't want to see it or if it truly bothers you to an extreme then find another hobby. Everytime I throw a leg over either my street bike or race bike I know the risks involved. I've seen two people die as a result of a motorcycle crash in the last 19 years I've been riding on the street. One was someone I did'nt know on an old Suzuki 650 Tempter(1983) and this last August when a friend died while trying to show up an R1 on his 996 colliding head on with a van when he gambled and lost. He was 52 years old and had been riding for over 30 years. maye to you he was a squid. Like my mother always used to say "if you don't have something good to say then don't say anything". "Virgin Skin"........please, grow a backbone.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 04:18 PM   #16
CADdriver
Founding Member

Actually I absolutely love and admire these machines. I even said I envy those who can contort and ride these things. Except for the that strange weight comment, you've described the average use of such machines. It takes very little horsepower to maintain high speed, 100% stopping force would make you look like a back woods twistie, and I know you'd never use 50deg lean angle more than 25% of the time on any road in the USA. I suspect if you try, the stuff scrapping won't be the "puppy" but good ole human flesh.
CADdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 05:06 PM   #17
gsxrjohnny
Founding Member

quote: "People have been buying the farm on sportbikes long before Motorcycle Online came along."

...and they will continue to if we keep doing our best to make it look cool to wheelie down a crowded street.

People have been dying of lung cancer since there have been cigarettes, too, so everybody go smoke a carton, it's good for you! Buy your children some nice handguns while you're at it. Maybe if the teen magazines could get some nice shots of teen idols strutting into school with 9mm's sticking out of their belts, eh? Show that one to your kids.

How spineless of me to suggest that it's not a good idea to ride something way out of control for your first bike!!! Sorry.

OK, everybody, and especially those new to motorcycles, go get yourself a 150hp bike, find a nice crowded street and crack that throttle open! People are going to die, anyway!

You should listen to your own mother, and "don't say anything" to people who think it's a stupid idea to show people the wrong way to do everything.
Old 01-20-2001, 05:21 PM   #18
gsxrjohnny
Founding Member

It wasn't meant to be a personal attack, sorry if it sounded like one.

The weigh comment was four times the dry weight (1500*25% = 375). I'll agree with you that it doesn't take 150hp to get to an unsafe speed for most roads, but it sure makes it fun getting there. As for the lean angle, if you live near places like Deal's Gap or Angeles Crest Highway, you certainly can use a good bit of that lean a large percentage of the time. No human flesh draggin', just knee pucks and toe sliders, mostly.
Old 01-20-2001, 07:28 PM   #19
RRocket
Founding Member

Default Re: CYCLE_MONKEY HERE

Is it really that funny? Surely even you have out-cornered a more powerful bike at one time or another because of your skill, right? And, if you are a competent rider, surely you know there are more squids who buy the "biggest and baddest" rather than extremely skilled riders. Most skilled riders know that the most powerful bike is not needed to make an inexperienced rider your whipping boy. My statement remains. I will continue to trash weenies on my bikes...I've seen a few I could give a run for if I was on a Vespa...
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 07:28 PM   #20
CADdriver
Founding Member

Believe me I didn't take it personally. Just enjoy lively conversation with anyone with a passion for bikes, especially those that push the limits.

Seriously, be happy, pleasant leanings and enjoy your gsxr. If I loose the weight my doctor has requested, I'll see you at Deal's Gap and Angeles Crest Highway contorted but with a grin from ear to ear.
CADdriver is offline   Reply With Quote